1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Motorcycle seats opinions

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gutierg, May 27, 2008.

1. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Just wanted to see how did all of you feel about the various choices available to replace stock seats. I just came back from Myrtle Beach Bike Week and rode about 1,000 miles in 5 days. Needless to say my butt is not too happy.

I ride the new 08 VRSCAW V-Rod and have seen the various choices available, such as Sundowner and Corbin, but are there other choices? If so, do they need to be custom made?

German
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if mustang makes a seat for your bike i would check them out,,,,,,one of the most comfortable seats out there!!!!!!!!!:)
  3. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

My Mustang "Day Tripper" is much more comfortable than my Badlander and I like it even better the touring Sundowner I have.
  4. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I went from a stock to a sundowner deep bucket. I like it alot:rocket_bike:
  5. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Yeah, the Sundowner's pretty comfortable and helps when controlling the bike because your legs can use it to balance better. I only need one seat though. It so happens I'm selling my Sundowner from my Sportster for $150 if interested.
  6. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Seats are so subjective that you'll want to try sitting on as many as you can, but there may not be all that many choices for that new bike yet. But I can tell you this - out of a group of about 2500 Sportster riders, Mustang seats are far & away the most popular, especially for those who ride longer distances. Le Pera & Corbin seats are popular too - stock seats are universally hated. I've got Corbins & I like those for the backroad riding I normally do, but they're not heavily padded & I wouldn't recommend them for long highway trips.

As far as being custom made, rather than pay for that, I know several folks have taken a seat they like the looks of but wasn't comfortable for one reason or another to an upholstery shop & had the padding inside changed, perhaps a gel insert added, etc. Doesn't seem to be very expensive & you'll get what you want. Some have even done it themselves.
  7. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I Went From Stock To Sundowner To Mustang On My Low Rider, When I Bought The Road King, The Very Next Day Ordered A Mustang Seat. Makes Momma Verty Happy. How Was Mb Bike Rally, Heard It Was Not As Big As In Past Years, I'm Going To The Fall Rally In Oct.

Dkin21

Live Easy, Ride Hard
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

JMHO, there are many comfortable seats on the market. However, for long distance riding a Mustang seat is by far the most comfortable. Have one on my Heritage and 300-500 miles in a day is not a problem.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Mustangs are good, they are harder than stock but not as firm as the Corbins.

I like Corbin seats, hard like saddles, but you don't sink down into them, that's where you get that sore arse, from the stock seat foam (open cell) compressing down onto the frame

Corbins are closed cell foam and usually are more form fitting to the bike, mine give me more room on the softail the mustang and stock seats had me sitting farther up. back support is better.
  10. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Could Just Always Buy A Seat That You Like For Looks And They Sell A Gel Pad You Put On Top For A Long Haul. Or Just Get A Gel Seat. Just Depends On The Ride'n You Do, My Seat Has Almost No Padd'n, Just Some Springs, More Comfy Than You Would Think, Better Than The Stock.
  11. gutierg

gutierg New Member

I guess I will be making a decision between the Sundowner, The Mustang seat and perhaps having my seat customized with CC Seats - Home Page I think these guys for the money are worth investigating.

The bike rally was simply awesome, I tend to see the vendors for short period of time and try not to simply ride up and down Rte. 17 to be seen. I would rather ride all over. As a result I logged 985 miles in 5 days. That is the reason for my original question. The roads contained within a 200 mile radius of Myrtle Beach are simply awesome, and from one country road to the next, it is difficult to tell how much fun it was. I often said to myself, I should not be allowed to have this much fun.

The first two days were sort of low key, but starting Wednesday until my departure, late Saturday afternoon the place was insane with bikes all over the place. Extremely expensive equipment rolling all over the place. tons of babes and of course Suck, Bang and Blow. That was a treat!

Hope you have a great time in the fall, I am sure you will.

German
  12. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

One other note I know others that use a sheepskin pad or gel-pad for longer rides they say it woks well to help relieve the dreaded "monkey butt". You can get these at some dealers and riding places. also medical supply places sell them for wheelchairs and you can cut them to size :)
  13. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

love my stock 06 hertitage seat, although thinking about a few mods. might make it a little deeper and add a driver back rest:devil:

p.s - :gah: seems we customers are always the last man on the assem. line
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have a real sheepskin on my 06 electraglide....stock seat. it does keep ya cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, and helps with the monkeybutt problem......i also use goldbond powder!!!!!:)
  15. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Darn Chuck I never thought of that, but I don't think I'll ever need it. :D
    Come to find out Mustang is giving up on V-Rod seat replacements, so I'll either go with C&C, or a Harley replacement from factory.

German
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Before you buy check out the styles at

Corbin

I find the designs are more suited to the style of the bike,

Mustangs are nice but corbins are better JMO.

Ive ridden 400 plus miles days multiple days in a row without monkey butt.
  17. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Check out Corbin as HRK says (I've got Corbin seats too) or simply ride by an upholstery shop & see what they'd charge you to re-do the padding in the stock seat. You could retain the appearance but make it more comfortable, or have them change the cover too if you want.