1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Motorcycle Security Systems

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gutierg, Nov 27, 2007.

1. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Besides the factory installed wireless security system. Are there any other systems/devices that you would recommend to install for any model Harley Davidson?

Regards,
    German
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There are several others out there but for plug n play, ease of use the factory with the siren are about as good as any
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have used a "paging" type of warning system. no siren, no light flash. it would send a signal to my pager, then i could go to the bike and catch em....i also pack a little.........
    if they want it, nothing you can do will stop them. the can use several to put in a van...they have sliding sling lifts....they will put skateboards under the wheels. the money i saved on expensive dealer alarms i put into weaponry......:)
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

A 9mm or .357 works quite well also!:devil:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Only if you are within your range of putting a group in the center ring!

There are others, I had one and that company bellied up after HD started putting in alarms.

It also had a wire pull out of it's special harness designed to be undetectable, as I was running about 80 mph up a hill in NC, it decided to start cutting out the motor, no fun on a 4 lane highway, it could have waited until I was over the top gheez!

Anyway trailered it back to the hotel, pulled the alarm harness, fired right up.

I think a good one with a pager is the scorpio alarm.
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey... ya can always break out the 223 if ya need a little more distance.:D
  7. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Hotroadking,

Do you have any other details on this scorpio alarm system. Web site address, phone number or dealer locator? I'd appreciate it.

Regards,
    German
  8. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

One other option to look at is Lojack...... I inquired....about $900....bit spendy, but only a one time fee......and when activated, police can track it almost immediately......wish I had the $900 to do it! Can NOT be self installed...approved dealers have to go through extensive background checks, then training for actual installation.....PLUS must have the computer systems and programs to ID the "box"......
  9. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

My dealership is a LoJack installation center and I have seen how good the system really is. A Marine at Camp Pendleton returned from Iraq, 2 days after taking his bike out of storage it was stolen. It took 20 minutlocate and return the bike. It was stolen a week later and that time it was a couple of hours before he got the bike back. I'd say that LoJack was well worth the money. The security check was the real thing with many inquiries reported to me from friends in the local police and sherrifs office. Don't think the military was a thurough when I got my Top Secret Clearance years back.
  10. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

$900 to get Big Brother to ride with ya. hmmm :rolleyes: Don't think so, that is what I pay insurance for. Now the pager things sound interesting. I hope anyone foolish enough to mess with my bike has given their soul to Jesus, cause if I should catch them well you know what part is mine. :devil:
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I try to watch whee I park , if need be I lock the front end & make sure the insurence is paid in full 7 if they want it thell get it no matter what , but if I catch them there backside will have a bigger hole it (or two or three :D )
  12. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Well, you guys will simply deal with it as it comes, put a few holes on them and they will learn a lesson or two. That's exactly how I feel, but in this stupid law suit society if I hurt someone becasue they were trying to steal my bike, I am liable to get a law suit based on the fact that I took the law in my own hands, how screwed up is that? More power to you fellows with a little heat on your side!!

Regards,
    German
  13. chucktx

i am going to assume that your state does not have a ccw law??
    even in texas your allowed to protect your property.....:)
  14. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Not exactly sure but I believe here in California the law about protecting your property only applies if you are on it, which would only then apply to your house or land. The only way around it when it comes to your motorcycle would be to make sure both you and the thief are sitting on it when you unload a few rounds in him.

Scorpion makes a very good alarm that is similar to the factory but I'd try to get the factory alarm when purchasing the bike. That will eliminate any warranty issues should the electrical system fry.

Typical alarms and locks won't stop someone from tossing your bike in a truck and driving off. For a number of years the most common method of theft in my area has involved mini vans. Thieves steal some soccer mom's minivan and tear out all the back seats. Then they roll up on a parked motorcycle, throw it in the back of the van and take off. The van is parked in an industrial parking lot for the night to see if a possible lojack signal brings the cops. When all is clear the bike gets off loaded into a U-haul and taken to be stripped down. If someone wants it bad enough they'll find a way to take it. Given all the various ways to have your ride stolen, sometimes being well insured is your best defense.
  15. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

CCW in Jersey, sh*t, you gotta be kiddin Chuck! You'd better be a cop or something to get that. They don't even like us HAVING guns, not to mention carrying one! My theory (like my sticker on the pickup says) Fight crime--shoot back, is the way I prefer to go. I won't shoot somebody for trying to steal my bike, but if they get into the house.......it's a minimum 5 rounds of 00buckshot for them and it's just an arms length away......good luck dodging that a**hole!!! (and good luck gettin out too!)
  16. chucktx

there is nothing more frightining, than the sound of a remington slide in the dark!!!!:)
  17. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

:D :roflmao: :eek:
  18. Dakota

Dakota New Member

19. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Dakota;29524

Thanks very much for the information, I have visited their website and it seems as though this will work very well in all types of Harleys. Why does the dealer want $325 to install the darn thing? This is even keyless, as self arming? Harley's security system has to be manually activated? What the heck? Of course the issue here is to make sure that it does not affect the electrical system of the bikes. I will call them and discuss with them.

Great information, thanks.

Regards,
    German
  20. Dakota

Dakota New Member

I don't really know any more than you do about it. It sounds like a good idea for locking it, but of course won't protect against theft. I've thought about getting one for my wife as she has a habit of walking away from her bike and forgetting to lock it, once in a while. It'd really be kind of nice when you got on and off you bike often like on an organized poker run or something like that so you wouldn't need to lock it.