1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Motorcycle Storage

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Nov 24, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Just a thought !
    And you'd need to do some homework on this. But !

We was doing a winterization on a couple of I/O drive boat's yesterday. We were installin a motorcycle battery maintainer and a boat heater.
    We used a plug adapter that had one male plug and 2 female plugs that we got at lowes.
    We screwed the boat heater down to the floor of the boat and installed the motorcycle battery maintainer. We pluged the battery maintainer and the boat heat into the female sides of ths adapter plug.
    We got a heavy duty extension cord with good wire say 12 guage and pluged the entension cord into the adapter and the other end into a wall socket on the boat house.

This will keep the hatch area of the motor and all warm, say the heater comes on at 45*.
    This way the customer can take the boat out during the winter and bring it back and put it in the boat stall and not have to drain everything and can reuse the boat if they want to.

Got to thinkin, if a person built a small box that was off the floor and they could drive the motorcycle up on, even it they had to screw the sides and top on that was ventalited.
    Couldn't you put a motorcyle maintainer on and a boat heather inside and keep yer bike in better condition for winter.

You could call these people at the boat heater and ask questions on how big of a area it would heat. But I think it would be a idea worth lookin into for some folks that live where it gits real cold.

Xtreme Heaters: The smallest, hottest, easiest to install bilge heater / marine engine compartment heater available for your boat!
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Simpler method would be to ride it into the living room and put a blanket over it. That way you could pull the blanket off on days you can't ride and go Vroom Vroom :D :roflmao:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

move to flarider
    we have plenty of homes for sale

need a garage AC unit...
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Was gonna try that but mama said nix. She didn't want tire tracks on the new rug. DARN!:roflmao::gah:
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

used to keep it in the living room......would decorate it for christmas!!!!!!
  6. cardboard

My door wouldn't be large enough to ride the Electra Glide in the house.
  7. cardboard

Hear about people up north takin their wheels off and takin their batteries out etc to keep their bike for winter.
    If you had a small place to put the bike and had a heater that would cycle on and off to keep everything at around 45* it looks like to me it would protect yer bike.
    And with a Motorcycle battery maintainer it would even help more:rant:
  8. chucktx

check your suppliers...jp cycles, dealers, ect.. they have a tent with all that you describe......and it is clear......
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

clear so you can set & drool at it all winter :eek::gah::roflmao:
  10. FLHTbiker

Got a chain saw :D
  11. FLHTbiker

In the winter cold months if its heated and tall enough then you could put the chaps, boots and a T-shirt on and got out and sit on the bike while looking out the clear covering to the outside when all of a sudden like a dream you start to think about those days when you where out riding. Then pretty soon the bike is moving through those corners, with your hands on the bars your pushing left and then pushing right. Your body is leaning into the corners and there is a funny motoring sounds coming from your mouth as the drool runs down your chin. Then like a cold chill up your spin you hear a familiar sound coming from the distance as the wife is calling you, Cardboard quit playing with the bike and get in here. :)
  12. chucktx

a blanket and boot drier would work...........
  13. cardboard

A boot dryer will work till it catches on fire.

And its going to 68* today so I can ride, Won't see my scoot in the house man.
    The wife is still off threw sunday too.
    And the only thing I was droolin over was the thanksgiving dinner she already cooked me .
    Sorry guys I live in Texas. It don't snow here remember.
  14. FLHTbiker

It's going to be sunny and a high of 54F so a bunch of us are going for a ride down Interstate 84 to Hwy97 then over to Dufur for a late lunch. Got the new bars with the Heat Demons installed and loving them.
  15. cardboard

That was somethin I liked about the 2010 SE Ultra, heated hand grips and a dual control heated seat for the winter.:cussing:
  16. FLHTbiker

But not the price!

My heated grips 138.00 less 15% and if you want Corbin makes a real nice heated seat. Wife has it on her 04 Ultra Trike.
  17. cardboard

If you look at everything else on the bike, you couldn't buy it for what they want for the bike.
    The 110 engine rocks. 95hp and 108 tq on a stock bike.
  18. FLHTbiker

Yea but then its personalized by someone else.
  19. cardboard

Everything on it is only the best. And you can still change whatever you want.
    I couldn't find anything I wanted to change.:gah:
  20. FLHTbiker

I had the first SE 110 motor in 07. The bike was in the shop seems like more than I was riding it. To many problems, and I even got a letter from HD with an apology. Power was OK but a friend on his built 1450 RoadKing, would leave me behind. I sold the thing so I could ride and as you know I have the 96 motor which in itself is doing just fine. Good reliable motor. Might go to a 103 and then might just put some cams in it or might just leave it alone, don't know yet.

By the way the Harley heated grips on the SE were a total joke. Even on high they were just luke warm. Had them replaced, same thing. The heat Demons are way better and easier to turn on and off. My 09 Ultra has got everything on the bike that I need, don't need another over priced SE. By the way the HP on the 110 when I had it Dynoed was in the mid 80's and that was with aftermarket pipes. Lets say I was not impressed.

While I really liked the color on my 07 110 I had (Orange and Black) I do like the paint on my 09, (Red and Smoky Gold). My favorite color combo for me is the Red/Black but the 2010 Red has way to much orange in it for me.