1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Mustang or Corbin Seats

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ctd, Dec 16, 2005.

1. ctd

ctd New Member

I am brand new with Harley's but when I sat on a new Sportster, the seat sucked to put it bluntly. I have an '01 Sportster coming and would like to upgrade the seat. My back has some issues and wanted to get a little rearward from stock, as well as a comfortable ride for the wife. I'll probably get one shot at getting her on the bike, and if it hurts, it will be difficult the second time. How are the Mustang seats vs. Corbin and any particular models out there that improve the quality of ride etc? Thanks.
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I've had both Corbins and Mustangs on different bikes. I prefer the Mustang. it just seems a little more comfy. I did have a Corbin on a Dyna that served quite well. If your wife is extremely picky about how her experience on the back of a bike is going to be you may want to do something about the suspension..especially the rear shocks...they sucked on the sportster I had..and they weren't much better on the Dyna. One trip on the stock seat and suspenders on the sporty will have you and the mrs. down to the local General Motors dealership to throw a wad of cash at a Pontiac Solstice to get your open air fix..neat little car..but it ain't the same as riding.
  3. ctd

ctd New Member

Thanks for the reply. Are there any other suspension rears that can be installed to soften the ride? I don't get the bike for another week so I can't tell how hard it will ride; are the Sportster's rough riding? I know I sat on a softtail which was like being in a recliner in comparison. I just liked the Sportster look so hope the ride will be decent. I went with the '01 as the springs had more coils in them vs. the later ones it seemed, so I thought they might accidently be a little "cushier." Maybe I'm expecting something that can't be had in one of these.
  4. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

take the bike out for a ride solo to see how it feels.They can ride pretty rough. If you fond that you're getting hammered around there are lots of shocks that can make the back end behave and forks springs for the front. email CD here at Direct Parts and pick his brain. tell him how you ride and what you want to do with the bike and he'll set you up with something that'll work for you.
  5. ctd

ctd New Member

Thanks for the information, I just sent an email to CD for some guidance. I probably made a mistake getting a Sportster in retrospect, but I liked the size, weight, price of them. I just can't manhandle a big machine around when it's not running, so the Sportster offered something I could manage. I hope there are things that can improve the ride quality. Thanks
  6. slickrick

slickrick New Member

Seats

I would recommend the corbin seat. I have one on my softail, it is not only comfortable but it looks good. The drop in backrests (for you and your rider) are great, like having a sissy bar and back rest for you. The support is not the same as you will get with a sissy bar and pad for your rider though. But, when you want to go short cruising by yourself just ditch the backrests. The model I have is the Gunslinger Lady Up, not sure if they make that for the Sporty but I am sure they do. Getting the Mrs into riding is like anything else. Don't push them or they won't ever like it. My wife and I took a basic safety course where you ride their bikes (little Honda 250's) and that got her interested in riding by herself and not just riding on the back. That might set you up to get her on the Sporty and step up to something else later on. :D :D ! Also get into a club HOG or something local. You get great info on what your riding and what you might be interested in later. And the Ladies will group up and start talking and she won't feel left out. A lot of nice people in clubs out there! Good luck and have fun!
  7. ctd

ctd New Member

Good suggestions, and I have looked into the Harley Owner's Group. Looks like a lot to offer. I appreciate the information on the seat, I see the Gunslinger is offered. It's been almost 30yrs since I've ridden, so I want this to be a good time. The safety courses are definetly the way to go.

Thanks
  8. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I had a Mustang seat on my Sportster that served us quite well. I have found them to be a little more comfortable than the Corbins, especially for the passenger.

We have upgraded to a Fatboy. They are way more comfortable even with the stock seat.

Good luck!
  9. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Corbin's require an "investment" of saddle time to break in before they are comfortable. I've only sat on one, but I've heard from others the same thing...they are hard as a rock when you first get them...then they break in slow and mold themselves to the rider.....so if you have any hope of the ol' lady riding with ya, get the Mustang. They are comfortable from the get go.

BTW...I ride a Mustang, and the buddy who had the corbin seat, sold his bike and put a Mustang on his new ride. :cool:
  10. ctd

ctd New Member

I need something soft from the get-go, so sounds like Corbin isn't the way to go. I read the customer feedback on Mustang and they all sounded positive, but then again, I think the company would only post positive reports.

I see another player out there called "Saddleman" some look attractive as well. I get one shot at this as my budget is pretty limited after buying the bike. Even more so, I need to make the first trip on the bike a good one for my wife, or I could be solo for the duration!:)
  11. Seahag

Seahag New Member

If you're really concerned about your wifes comfort, you should have a backrest for her as well...it allows her to relax a little bit instead of constantly keeping her midsection tight to remain stable and secure. Another tip...don't buy the seat that looks best on your bike, as that will undoubtedly be something smaller...get the largest perch you can find for the passenger you want to keep :D If you don't like the look of it, just make sure you get seperates. I have a mustang wide touring solo, and the same for the wife. If she's not riding with me, I could pull it off with just a few turns of a screwdriver...but on my bagger, I didn't spring for the quick detach back rest, so I leave it on all the time. It doesn't look bad on a bagger like a wide seat might on the back of a sporty though.
  12. ctd

ctd New Member

Thanks for the tips; I would rather be comfortable and enjoy the bike than to look good and hate everytime I get on it. You mentioned the wide solo for the rear as well; is it the same as the driver or the accompanying seat that goes with the wide one? I plan on the backrests for both if I can get them or at least a sissy bar for the wife. It might even make her feel more secure with support behind. She wasn't thrilled I got a bike, but has since started warming up towards it a little. Like all loving spouses, they worry some person will pull out in front and K.O. the biker. I use to ride in Japan many years ago, and if that traffic didn't make a believer out of a biker, nothing would. Of course I was younger then! (57 now).

I just got the Mustang catalog today and lots of choices there. The big bike seats look really nice, but no way would they fit on the Sportster. Maybe a bigger bike later on...:)
  13. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Looking at their website, this is the closest thing to what I'm talking about for your sportster...."Vintage wide Super touring seat" part #75129. This is basically what I have only for the bagger, it appears the passenger pillion is a little bit wider. The overlap on the passenger seat makes for good lower back support for the driver (not as good as a drivers back rest, but still nice).

Attached Files:

14. ctd

ctd New Member

Thanks, the picture says it all. Looks pretty comfortable for both rider and passenger.