1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My Bike Is Smoking Bad

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gumby321, Sep 15, 2006.

1. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    I have just changed oil for the first time on this bike. I just bought it a few months ago and have put about 200 miles on it. I changed the oil and put scremin eagle synthetic oil in it 20/50. Can this be the problem why it is smoking so badly?
    When I bought the bike it did smoke a little but not like it is now. Then I did the oil change.
    CD I did get your message and wrote it all down. Now I am in a fight with the wife about the money being spent on the bike. I am going to try and do the job myself. As far as taking it apart and doing as much as I can. Is there a tear down sheet that I can follow. I do have the manual for the bike but I am sure that there are some tricks out there that people know about that are not in the book.
    I would love to have a step by step write up on how to rebuild my top end.
    If anyone can help me with that It would be very much apprecated.
    I have never done any of my own work. I had the money and no time to work on it myself. Now I have the time but no money. So igf anyone out there can step up and lend a hand to someone who wants to try and learn about how to do it, I will be a very happy camper. If anyone thats in the Las Vegas area wants to come by and give a hand. That would be very cool. The beer and cokes along with the BBQ will be on me.
    I can start the tear down without any problems. Starting with the gas tank down. Then Taking off the top of the heads. From there I am lost. I will stop when ness. so don't hesitate to contact me. kachina321@aol.com. Or whatever you can do for some input. I would appreciate it. thanks for reading my begging for help. Gumby 321 Peace.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Dang, Gumby, if you didn't have bad luck would ya have any? Wish I could help, but though in NV you're still nearly 500 miles from me.

Could it be that you didn't get all the old oil out before you put the new in? Not an Evo man, so don't know all the quirks, but if it is smokin more now than before it seems like you've either (a) got too much oil, or (b) the synth is getting through where the old stuff had a good clog in a worn engine. Hopefully it is (a).

Best of luck - you need some!
  3. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

For Sure Red Rider

It has been one thing after another as you can tell. I have to say I really love having the bike and it is a very special bike to me. We went for a ride into town and stopped at Hogs and Heffers. Guys were coming over to my bike and letting me know how much they liked it.
    They didn't see it running so they didn't see all the smoke. Just that they came over to me and did what they did made my night.
    This is on my mind heavy and the wife is not too happy either. The money factor is a problem, so I am just trying to think about how much I can do to save as much money as possable. Then I went to the manual and got even more depressed. Seeing all the special tools that are needed to do the upper end would probably cost as much as the job itself.
    God will provide when the time is right. I have never been left behind yet.
    So now I have my El Camino an 85 conqesta. That has been sitting outside my house needing work. Maybe an engine, it's been too hot here to even bother with it. It is cooling down now so I might just try and find out what the scoop is with that.
    The wife is fine with her car. I just bought her a 2006 magnum used. I wish it was the Hemi but that was imposable. I did add much chrome to that baby and everyone thinks it's a custom Magnum. I even had a guy come up to me and ask me about all that chrome on my car. I told him my wife found it and I installed it. I left it at that so we would be the only one' s in Vegas to have the one with all the chrome.
    I put a custom grill,chrome mirrors,chrome door handles,chrome on the posts. even the back lights have a chrome cover over them, along with the trunk handle. I wish I had a few grand to put some nice rims on her too. They will come when they come. For now I have the stck hub caps and it still looks sharp.
    thanks for the reply, I got some things off my chest because I have been bummed all day about the bike. I hope to here from you soon. Gumby 321 Peace
  4. gator

gator New Member

Carolina, "The Olde North State" "I ride with Fo
    I can't keep synthetic oil and some different types of oil additives in my evo either, it just blows it out, to slick or to thin I guess.

If you haven't already took it down, do a compression check on each cylinder and see what kind of condition they are in.

You can tell if its bad rings by this test. Make sure you got the carb full open if its still on the bike while testing.

Pull the plugs out of both cylinders so the engine will spin free, then test it. range for 120 to 135psi depending on engine wear.

The pressure should be close to equal...let us know what you find.
  5. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Yes Thanks

I Am Waiting On My Bud With His Tester. We Will Do The Test In The Next Few Days. I Took The Syn. Out And Put Straight 60 Weight In With Some Lucas. Still Smokein Like An Old Locomotive.
    I Went On A Run With It This Weekend Anyway. People Were Looking Like I Didn't Know I Was Smoking And Pointing.
    The Bike Runs Strong And There Are No Noises Coming From Anywhere. So Thats A Good Sign. I Will Keep You Informed After We Do The Test And Post Up. Then I Will Start To Brake Her Down.
    The Big Bummer Is It's Now My Season To Ride. I Am In Vegas And The Weather Has Just Cooled Down To Where It Is Just So Fine To Ride.
    Looks Like I Will Be Down For Awhile. Thanks For The Reply.

Cd Sorry I Forgot To Uncap. It Wont Happen Again.
  6. CD

CD Guest

The problem with relying on a compression test for diagnosis is that sometimes oil will provide a good ring seal and skew your testing. A normal test for worn rings / bore is done dry and wet. If you have worn rings, after you squirt some oil into the jug and retest, the compression will raise indication bad ring seal. If you already have oil in the bore, adding more will not change the compression much giving a false indication of the rings being good even if the compression is somewhat on the low normal side. The test would then indicate you have bad valve seals....but, maybe not.

Once you yank the heads, it is just not that much more work to yank the barrels. A shop like the one you mentioned could check the bore and the heads in a few minutes. Boring is not usually that much maybe a $100.00 for both holes. Unless your guides are really worn you may just be able to replace the valve seals.

Tell me what situation it smokes the most under?

Cold start and then lessen?
    Warm start and then lessen?
    All the time even at cruise?
    More at idle and less at cruise?
    The same amount all the time like a mosquito fogger?

If it only smokes after a start and then goes away or even largely goes away, you might be able to simply change the valve stem seals which can be done with the heads off of the bike. Their is a way to make an inexpensive valve spring compressor from a large good quality "C" clamp. The fixed end goes against the valve tulip (head) and you weld an "L" shaped piece onto the foot that will clear the keeper and stem. Or, you can get a tool from CCI for about $62.00
    The valve seals are cheap and come with the install tube and protective sleeve. So, for the price of a rocker box gasket set, head gaskets and valve seals and a spring compressor you could fix it.

Downside of doing it that way is that you risk breaking the base gasket seal and usually you will get a base gasket leak anyway.

If it was my FXR, I would save the coin, tear it down and have the local shop fix you up and reassemble it yourself.

The easiest way to get the rocker boxes off of a rubber mount is to support the engine and remove the front motor mount and then let it flop forward giving you the room to yank the boxes fairly easily.

To do the tear down there are no special tools needed. If you have to go to over sized pistons, you can make a wrist pin puller out of some PVC pipe, washers, and all thread bar.

For reassembly, a standard torque wrench works fine and make sure you follow the torquing procedure on the head bolts. A simple mark on the base of the bolt indicating 90ยบ works nicely no need for the fancy doohickey tool there. Ring compressors are not expensive and you can get the right type at any of the Checkers, Pep Girls etc store. As long as it can be disassembled and removed it will work. You might be able to borrow or even rent the needed tools.

Ask around, there are always people that will help you locally.
  7. shaksDWG

shaksDWG New Member

smokn bike

Hey. I didnt read any of the replies but a top end rebuild isnt that hard. Time consuming and confusing yes. First buy a service manual. The dealer has them for about $60. That will step by step you all the way through the process. my neighbor had a bad head gasket that was blowing oil all over the place. we did the replace in about 4 hours over a couple of days. If you are remotely mechanically inclined you should have no real problems. Good luck!
    Paul
  8. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Thanks Paul

I not only have 1 I have 2 manuals. One stays in the garage, greasy as a pork chop. The other is mighty white. This way I can study in the house without the wife hissing at me. The less I get of that the better of we both are. I have a few friends that will be with me as soon as I can figure out whats up after the test. Thanks for the input. I will keep everyone informed on how it's going. Have you heard anything about a V2 evo motor in a FXR P?
    gumby321 peace
  9. gator

gator New Member

Carolina, "The Olde North State" "I ride with Fo
    Are you sure you got the right line vented? If you cap the vent line, it will build pressure and force oil to go alot of places it shouldn't, can blow the oil dip stick out and stream oil everywhere while riding. (don't ask)

Attached Files:

10. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Gator

First i would like to say I like what you said about the knuckelhead from Fla. last night. He should deff. should know better. I haven't touch a thing since this whole thing started. The only thing I was working on was my brake resevoir. I don't think that has anything to do with it. Unless I put a brake line into the in on the oil lines......just kidding. I will be doing a test in an hour or so. I will post up after that to give everyone the good news I hope. I am hopeing for valve guides and thats it. I think I am hopeing against hope though with my luck it will be the rings and pistons. I will let you know soon enough. Thanks for the input. I really enjoy hearing from you all. Thanks again. Gumby321 Peace
  11. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Ok Boys And Girls Here It Is

I FOUND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE BIKE CUTTING OUT. A WIRE WAS BEING PINCED EVER SO LITTLE. THATS ALL IT TOOK.

Now to my smoking problem. I have been up now for 24 hours. I am getting a bit goofey. so I will make this short and sweet. I took the bike apart. As soon as everything was off my buds come over. Talk about perfect timing. I was reading the book on how to take take the heads off. Bolt patterns and all the fine details that you need to know.
    WALA the head is coming off, the top front one. then we dug a bit deeper. Got it all off but the barrel. The top of the piston is as clean as clean can be. no nothing on the piston. the wall to the front cylinder looks great too. as much as we can see without taking the barrel off.
    the boys leave and I took on the back one now. Since I saw it done and had the parts in front of me, i hit it. Now we are done to both barrels. this afternoon the barrels will be off. we will see what we we see then.
    So far it looks just like crusty the clown lives on my valves.
    I am hopeing a valve job will take care of this now.
    CD the suggestion on the 3 angle if i am thinking correctly will be coming to my heads. so I think it's only that.I found some other little problems while up all night and took care of them. I am hitting the bed now. I will let you all know how the story ends. Thanks one and all for your input. I have to say I have been to other sites and forums.The people here and the staff our top notch people. They care about others. To me thats love. Love of what we are and what we do. what we do for each other is the mack daddy. didn't want to say _hit. ill be back gumby321 peace and I am out.