1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My brothers 01 Roadking

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Oct 5, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Some of you might remember that my older brother crashed his bike last spring. Well he got the part all replaced and I told him I would come over and pick up his bike then adjust the clutch for him.
    I picked up the bike and rode it home today. Needs more than adjusting the clutch. Found out that in the 8 years he owned the bike that he had never changed the primary nor the tranny oil. The bike only has 17,000 miles on it. Not sure how many he put on it as he bought it used from a dealer.
    The clutch pull is horrendous, might be that the cable is really dried out and stiff and may need replacing.
    After I finish I'm going to really clean the motor and bike up for him. Still dirt in the motor from when he laid it down. But still not a bad looking bike and it is carbureted.
    He said that he is going to sell the bike but like a lot of other things he never gets in much of a rush. Still it would make somebody a nice ride.
    I'll put a pic or two up of it when I'm finished with it. :)
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

thats a shame that some people treat a engine like that no matter what kind it is , as got the clutch cable I would first try to lube it , pull from handle & spray lube down in & let set over night before & after pics would be nice hint hint:D
  3. FLHTbiker

:D I got the oil in the cable now. Surprisingly the only oil that looked dirty was the engine oil. I put Redline heavy duty Shock Proof in the tranny and HD primary oil in the primary. He said the last time he changed the engine oil he put that Syn3 in:eek: I'm going to put Mobile1 V-Twin Syn oil in. If I knew he was going to keep it and ride it I would intall that easy clutch for him. He is 72 now and like I said I think he got scared of it after the accident. Cowboy it's really sad as he never used to let stuff go like that.
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Sometimes folks let things go to seed as they age. Maybe certain things don't mean as much to them as they get older, I guess. Good to hear you're fixing it up for him.
  5. FLHTbiker

Got all the oils changed and the clutch adjusted, much better and pulls better now. The throttle wouldn't return when opened, way out of adjustment. Was checking the front brake as I heard a noise up front when riding it home. Something is installed wrong as the mounting plate for the brake shoe is rubbing on the disk. The spring clip was not installed correctly. Gotta work on the left saddle bag, won't stay closed. The carb hic-ups a lot in the cooler weather, does it even with the choke all the way out.
    I think the rubber bushings in the bars are worn, to much slop. should run pretty good when I get it all done. :)
  6. cowboy

Man sounds like you've been busy working on it & getting it back in shape :D
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you have a project.

If you do replace cable call Phil at www.harleypartscheap.com and get the teflon lined
    cable, major reduction in pull.

Throttle cables probably need lubed too, you should do them
    set the idle air screw and it might just need new intake seals.

Have fun!
  8. FLHTbiker

Thanks, got the throttle cables lubed up and free, there working really well now.
    Yea, gotta get to that idle air screw, pulled the A/C off and backing plate..man the plate was dirty..black is a better word. carb inlet black also. Should be pulled and cleaned with new gaskets. If it were mine I would spend the money and rebuild the carb with one of Kens kits. Going to pull the carb and probably replace rubber seal between the carb and the manifold. Lots of work but something to do.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

sounds to me like it needs a new cam, lifters
    some performance work on the heads and
    a carb tune LOL
  10. FLHTbiker

:roflmao: That would be ok if it were JB's bike.:D But he is going to sell it so just helping him out.
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I guess that means he doesn't want to ride anymore. The bike ought to be in great shape by the time you get everything fixed.
  12. FLHTbiker

Yea, I think that's why he asked me to do this for him.
  13. FLHTbiker

Tried bleeding the front brake on the bike today. Couldn't even get it to pump up. Took a mighty-vac and couldn't even get fluid to draw through it. Went down to the dealer and bought a master cylinder rebuild kit for the front. Totally cleaned the master cylinder. Filled it up after reinstalling it and used the mighty-vac until new fluid was coming through both calipers. Got pressure on the lever when pumping by hand now. Did a few more pull with the mighty-vac pulling more new brake fluid though the lines. Yep worked fine, nice firm brakes now.
    Pulled the front nacelle off and tightened the bars and risers. What a bitch to get to those riser bolts on this 99 Roadking. I was thinking it was an 01 but nope it's a 99 Roadking standard with the 88 motor.
    The rear saddle bag is not latching very well yet. Took it off the bike again and looks like the whole thing is tweaked a bit where they did some bondo work after his crash. I'll get it but just needs more tweaking.
    Told my brother I'm going to pull the carb off and clean it. He just said, well OK if it needs it. Yea, it needs it. :eek:
  14. cowboy

Where The darn pics ? Lol like you have time yo stop & take pics :)
  15. FLHTbiker

Going to take a break from it today. Get some pics tomorrow. Wife wants to ride to the coast to go to a few quilt shops. So a few other women and their husbands (from our HOG chapter) are joining in, more quilters. :rolleyes: Olbill :) and Steve (from my trip to the Wall) :) are going to come along for the ride. We'll try and dodge the rain showers. Yep, packing the rain gear for sure. But then it might not rain at all.
  16. cowboy

Sounds like a plan to me , we have rain here now , A welcome site :)
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

snowed here yesterday was going to get pictures of Pikes Peak but it is under the clouds right now, maybe it'll come out later. Have a good ride.
  18. FLHTbiker

Holy crap HarleysLR you guys is cold. Cowboy glad you guys are getting some rain, you need it for sure.
  19. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Just like a TV show, git it started, show us a little and go for a break and leave us Hangin. What is wong , forgit to take yer meds.:gah:
  20. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member