1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My Christmas letter

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Sorry I've been gone for so long. Life's been crazy. I've missed everyone that I haven't seen on Facebook.

Moved in with my boyfriend with the bike shop in the middle of October. Life is different here. More of a warehouse. Wood heat. Four kitchen sinks and no oven... Lots of work to be done, which is why I haven't been around much.

The shop has slowed down and we've gone to winter hours (by appointment) so we don't have to hang out there if we have other things to do. A Yamaha 650 being turning into a chopper was dropped off in August before I really got involved, and we've just been through Hell with it. The kid told Jeff what he wanted done and then disappeared. We waited for him to get back in touch and give us money for parts. Finally happened. Jeff got it going and discovered a hole in the head in a place that you can only tell is there when oil comes pouring out of it. More work. The kid wanted to ride it home, so Jeff got everything going on it, gave him an incredible discount on the labor, and then the kid refused to pay. We went to court on Wednesday, and although we were wrong for not having him sign an estimate (that'll never happen again, trust me), the judge still found in our favor and told the kid to pay us $500. Not what we wanted, but better than what the kid wanted to pay.

While in court, the kid said he never authorized the work. Then he got on the stand and read off the list of 10 things he asked Jeff to do on the bike. Later on he said he never authorized it. :confused: It was clear he knew he asked for the work to be done, but he also knew the law was on his side in that nothing was signed. He requested that he have to pay $200 minus court costs and get his bike back in running condition. Because I had e-mailed the kid and got authorization to fix the hole in the head, the judge gave us the $500 for that repair. Because we don't want to be liable for unauthorized work, Jeff "unbuilt" everything on the list of 10 things that wasn't authorized. Boy was he pissed when he showed up last night. :roflmao:

Anyway, the great news is that I was awarded the contract to manage a training site for ABATE of Colorado in Greeley. :D I get to schedule myself as much as I want, plus it's more of a steady job in that I keep the bikes in good shape, promote my site, and in return get paid something for every student who goes through there, whether I teach or not.

I finally got FirstLady's quilt out to her, I thought in time for Christmas, but apparently Priority Mail's 2-3 days is really only a suggestion by the post office. :gah: Hopefully I'll get the call from her on Monday that it's arrived.

So that's what I've been up to. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Merry Christmas back to you and thanks for the update,
    see you at the show and swap next month?? we will be in the same spot.
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Yes, we'll be there. Same bat place.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a very merry christmas to you abby........
  5. chucktx

a very merry Christmas to you Abby........
  6. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Merry Christmas Abby!!! Wytheville....
  7. chucktx

:roflmao:
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep good to here you came out on top for the most part , better the on the other end , & Merry christmas to you & yours
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Wytheville!

There's snow in Wytheville! I saw it on Facebook.

Merry Christmas to you too Chuck!
  10. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Abby, Merry Christmas.

Many years ago I went through ASE certification and one of the things that was constantly stressed was getting everything in writing and signed estimates. Sounds like the kid perjured himself and the court was on to him, otherwise he could have walked away with everything free of charge. I would have been tempted to return the bike in a box.