1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My First Bike. Please HELP

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Brettmac24, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Brettmac24

Brettmac24 Member

I have never owned a motorcycle and want to begin to learn. I am not looking for anything expensive to begin with because I want something that if I mess up, I wont be financially hurt. I am currently looking at purchasing a 1997 Honda Shadow 600 for $1200-$1400. Number 1: Is this a good beginners bike. 2. Is this a reliable bike that will get me from point a to point b. 3. Is it priced correctly? He has it listed for $1600, but I'm sure I can talk him down. 4. He said it needs a new front tire (not rim, just tire), so how much would that cost to replace. 5. I am waiting on his response to see if it is a vlx, 600cd, vt600c, etc... Let me know what you guys think. Honda.jpg
  2. quietone

quietone Active Member

I've had a few hondas over the years , a 175 a 250 a350 a360 a 450 a 550 but 2 of my favorites were the 750 and 1100 shadows. I had 30,ooo on the 750 when I traded it for the 1100 which I put 65,000 on and the last I heard it is still running well. The shadow had hydrylic clutch and shaft drive. Oil change covered motor and tranny at same time and same oil. A 600 will do 70 mph all day if you fell the need and will treat you just fine if taken care of . They are alot of fun, enjoy...
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Yep, that is a good ride. A little more than I'd recommend for beginners, but only by 100cc's...which means you should be fine if you're careful. The price is good if the miles on the odometer aren't crazy (around 50K). One of the things that early riders don't appreciate is learning S...L...O...W riding. Get out in an empty parking lot and do figure 8's until you're bored, a few times, and you'll pick up more skill than you'd imagine. The Shadow is a fun ride, though I'd start hurting after a few hours in the saddle..not one I'd cross the country on, but definitely a fine bike for an hour or two. Generally, they are reliable, and most that are re-sold are under-used (people trade up from them), but every bike is unique, so inspect it and look for any damage. If it was in a wreck, it can really mess up the riding geometry. Test ride if you're able, or find a biker who will do it for you and can be trusted.

Good luck and hope that you're in the wind soon!
  4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Not the cheapest bike to begin on but take your time,take the course, do what your taught and you'll be fine. Theres more than a few older bikes out there for under 1000$ to consider.

No rush and cut corners what you do now transitions into how you'll be as a driver. You got the rest of your life. For great hints and tips youtube ride like a pro videos.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If it's in good shape, tires are decent, and runs well sounds like a great starter, I"m not of the smaller is better group when it comes to first bikes (other than giving your 16 year old an R1 or Hyabusa) the bike needs to fit you physically and have enough power to move you in traffic and accelerate you briskly (not R1) enough to
    get in and out of traffic, change lanes etc.

A 300 pound 6 ft 5 guy on a 500 as a learner is going to have problems getting
    the bike up to speed and it's going to be too small for his frame. Sportys while light compared to other HD products have a high center of gravity, so your 4 ft 2 100 pound girl is going to be intimidated because she can't get her feet planted at stops.

It's about fit first, comfort, and adequate power, if it does that and your wallets happy then it's a good bike for you.

JMO... though...
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

What he said... I'll add, take a motorcycle safety course first,then practice,practice,practice to gain confidence and be comfortable on the bike before you venture out onto highways.
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I've owned several Hondas over the years. If taken care they are very reliable well made machines. Out of Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasakis, and now Harley (owned them all) the Hondas held up the best mechanically and cosmetically