1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My first real rain suit

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by voodoo1, Feb 19, 2008.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

My MCRiders club packet partiallly showed. It is a rain suit cool..... It was neatly folded and no thinker and a 1/2 inch. I unwrapped it and now cannot do anything but roll both top and bottom together into a roll. It'll soon be over 30+ years of riding for me and no rain suit. Now I got one and unfolded it. Takes up tooo much space this way.... think I'll stick with the glad bags. But I actually own a ran suit. My leather is minked oiled to death and gets heavier when wet:D and unless dry the next day of riding is still heavy and wet. One trash bag out of a reachable area on the bike and in 2 seconds pow I am covered. Hurricanne proof... ok what was I saying...oh yeah I got a rain suit....what do I do with it?!!!:rolleyes: :cool:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

now that is funny......but, i just got my first rain suit last year.....been riding since 67.....you could always fill it with straw and use it for a scarecrow!!!!:D
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

last year it seemed I was always riding in the rain I was on the verge of frog togs like chuck had mentioned but still going with out:cool:
  4. chucktx

love my toggs!!!!!!!!:)
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

VDC :roflmao: don;t you know if you take it out all you can do is play with it :D , I have a rain suite it bright yellow top & bottom been setting on the shelf in the garage for years now still in the packet , I just blow dry :roflmao:
  6. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I would like to try a rain suit but I don't think I would actually buy one. I got wet several more times last year than usual. One of the storms was a torrential thunder storm while we were out near my camp. We had to stop on the side of the road and wait for it to die down. The lightening was down right scary! I guess they had a severe thunder storm warning but we never heard about it until it was too late.

Anyway, about two hours later at the camp when we were changing cloths and emptying the saddle bags, I came across one of those disposable ponchos. I forgot all about it. It had been in there for a few years. DOH! I would have worn it that day had I known. At least I would have been a little dryer while standing under the trees trying to get electrocuted.

The problem is, I'm just smart enough (usually) not head out WHILE it's raining but dumb enough to get CAUGHT in the rain. So I'm thinking all a fancy rain suit would do is take up more space than that disposable poncho I never used and remove a little more money from my already light wallet. Those few bucks could buy a few more brews back at the camp where it's dry.
  7. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Roger that Max!!! I don't own a rainsuit except for the one I was born with.. We are water proof, its the wet clothes that suck... I just get wet and dry off when I/we reach our destination... 'Sides is not the destination its the journey... Even if its a wet one, right???:)
  8. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Rain suits

Interesting thread. I have used a rainsuit of one kind or another since the mid '70's. Moving around like I do, I just don't always have the option of waiting til better weather to saddle up. I have tried just about everything from super expensive, "made for motorcycling" ones to super cheap dollar store specials. (The really expensive ones are too bulky and don't seem to last much longer than cheaper ones. The cheap ones melt and ruin your pipes) What I have now is a lightweight breathable (that's a must) suit from Bass Pro. Cost less than 40 bucks and wears great, is easy on and off, and slips in the outside pocket of my bags.
    I bought my first one after the races in Lousivilee, Ky about 74 or 75. I was in my leathers, drenched, slogging to the head at a gas stop and passed some old geezer in a BMW suit. He smiled and shook his head and rode off on his beemer, dry, warm and smiling. I grabbed some coffee, shivered and was reminded of something my Grandad used to say: "Old men don't get old being stupid"!
    I toughed it out the rest of the trip, but before I headed out again I had a suit.
    Ride Free,
    Bear
  9. chucktx

greybear, it sounds like ya got a pair of "toggs"....bass pro sells em and that sounds like the right price.........love mine!!!
  10. maxpower_hd

GreyBear/Chuck,

OK OK, you guys talked me into it ya old bucks.:rolleyes: Replce the b with an F if you like.

Maybe I will check out the BassPro site and look at these "toggs". As wet as I got last year, maybe it's time to martin' up. I'm not as old as some of you folks but old and beat up enough to know that I can't tolerate the wet and the cold as much as I used to. I'm not bullet proof anymore either. My elbow STILL hurts from that "fall down" last fall. I ended up with a nice lumpy scar to impress the ladies with too. A couple of you may remember the burnout gone bad post a while back.:banghead:

Anyway, if I can actually remember the rain gear is in the bags AND manage to listen to a weather report once or twice a week while at the camp, maybe.....JUST maybe....... I can stay dry at least once this season.

Peace
  11. chucktx

OLD!!!!!!! hell i aint old......................yet!!:) gonna be 60 in april, still got a lot of miles in me!!!!!:D
  12. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Well...here is my two cents worth!!!I got me a new Streetglide with a weather radio this time...lol....but I still don't own a rain suite after 35 years of on the street...lol...u just dry out and leave the wet shoes on the air condtioning grid at the hotel or better yet throw em in the dryer and make alot a noise!!!Some folks will hear all that and think your a real man and go a long time non-stop....their ole ladies will smile great big at ya the next morning when they see ya coming out of your room!!!

Rain suits may work really well for wrapping the Tatoo Run,or Jack Daniels up in so they won't break!! But really a few extra sacs works as good and takes up less room.....who stops while riding to get that **** on any way???You know them big black clouds won't hit where your riding....they always go around us right?...lol..still roflmao:roflmao: ...lol.....Be 52 real soon and have plenty of miles left on me wet or dry....just don't put your self up wet after riding hard all day!!!...lol..You know what they say about be rode hard and put up wet?If its too loud your too old!!!....lol..
  13. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

It's Not Getting Wet From The Rain For Me, It's All The Needle *****s In The Face And Hands, Then The Soggy Boots When You Stop. Went To That Rot Rally In Austin Back In 00' Came Up From Houston. Rain'd All Weekend, Untill The Ride Home. Real Funny How Everybody Was Still Out Ride'n. 6th Street Lined Out With Bikes.
  14. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Grey......I miss the annual trip to Louisville every year for all these years so bad so fraekin bad.....the party around the pool in the Exec.Hotel and the breakfasts was awesome not to mention all the big tits in the bleachers!!!Guess they don't miss us at louisville nothing like we miss them!!

Attached Files:

15. RKBud

RKBud Active Member

I'm still on a steep learning curve on all of this. I hope to have my bike back by the end of March from my crash in January.
    However, I was riding to meet my Bud's one misty foggy morning and decided to put my "price performer" yellow rainsuit that I had left over from an emergency fishing trip.
    Later on my ride to meet my friends I noticed that my left leg of the rain suit was a little frayed and tattered from the wind. I didn't know then that I was baking plastic on the pipes.
    I'll take my chances wet and just dry out next time instead of picking plastic off of the pipes.... As soon I as I get my bike put back together.
    Take Care from Buddy in Withdrawals...sure wish I could ride again soon.
  16. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

:sucks2bu: :rocket_bike: BUDDY, USEUALLY IT'S THE OL'LADYS BOOTS FOR ME.
  17. maxpower_hd

HDTractor,

Are those Polaroids? You hardley ever see them these days. lol They got these new fangled, high falutin thingies called D I G I T A L cameras now.:D
  18. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

did someone say JD

I like that, wrap up the jack daniels with , this one is blue and two pieces. I am not gonna use it. I have found out by using that "body armour" or off brand light weight strech-like material works great,even under the T-shirt in the morn when it is too cool for just a Tee and not cool enuff to lug on the leather.Da -boots I got are gortex and high-mid calf high. I wear'em on all trips and can stand in a puddle ankle deep and not get weight. Had'em for quite a while. The shifter has worn a groove into the toe over the years. They look COOL too:D :cool: I'd "weather" be wet and cool, than dry and looking like a bananna.:cool: or in this case a giant blue-berry.
  19. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

yea Max......good ole polaroids...never had no Digitals back when,thought a 35 mm was bad to the bone then ha ha..an old Buck and don't ya be changing the B to an F .....ya hear me??......lol....
  20. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member