1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

my honda 250 nighthawk

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by phreak, Apr 27, 2005.

1. phreak

phreak New Member

i was wandering if anyone could tell me how to modify my exhuast on the 250 i have
  2. Kimberly42

Kimberly42 New Member

Maybe you could post your question on the Tech Talk forum. Also, in that forum, the first 2 posts are FAQ's and a link to a bunch of articles. You may find something there. What do you hope to gain? Noise? Performance? I'm not sure how much more HP you can get from a 250. My son took the baffles off his pipes on his 250, just to see how loud it was, but put them back when he had his noise fix. Not good for the engine in the long run, anyway. Good luck.
  3. Goose

Goose New Member

I'm unaware of anyone that builds pipes for a nighthawk 250. You could contact Jemco in Houston, but they would probably need the bike at their shop. They build pipes custom order, but are mostly into race applications now days. They do four stroke stuff, tuned megaphones for thumpers and that, but are still mainly 2 stroke oriented.

It can be done, but what's the point? I'd ride the bike until it got to be too small for me and then buy something bigger. If you're riding it because, like Texas, under 17 cannot ride bigger than a 250, don't worry, you'll be old enough for a bigger bike soon. ;) You can get all sorts of aftermarket for Shadows, Vulcans, Viragos, Intruders, Stars, whatever, just that the little 250 is a beginners bike and doesn't have much aftermarket support.

If you just want more sound, look in JC Whitney. They have lots of universal pipes that clamp to the head pipes in there with different shapes like Balogna, slash cut, turn out, etc. That's about your ONLY cheap option to my knowledge. I bought a whitney muffler once. Sounded really nice on my MG Midget and the chrome sticking out under the bumper was cool. :D
  4. Kimberly42

Kimberly42 New Member

I agree that a 250 is a "starter bike". At age 26, you might want to start looking for something a little bigger. There's not a whole lot of aftermarket parts for 250's in general. If you move up to say, a 750, you will be able to customize your bike. Look around for some used bikes, there are deals to be had. (Especially at the end of the riding season, before spring fever hits and everybody gets the urge to buy a bike.) That's how I got my first bike, and my son's 250.
  5. phreak

phreak New Member

the 250

no the 250 was my first bike im 25 so i dont wanna get rid of it i plan on getting a bigger bike but i wanna keep my 250 for fun you know what i mean
    i just want it to be a lil noisy you know what i mean so thanks for the advice bro i appreaciate it

6. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

you can get pipes from honda but they will cost you some dough. I have a nighthawk 650 and I was going to get new pipes but decided not to since I am getting a bigger bike and plus whenever you modify the exhaust you usually have to rejet the carbs or the fuel mixture because of the reduction in back pressure at the motor. the bike will not run right without doing both, if you know how to do it yourself then you can save some money otherwise it is going to cost you. I would save the money and use it towards the bigger bike and if it's a v-twin it will sound a whole lot better with different pipes.
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

phreak - I don't wanna say you're wasting your time/$, but as a near codger (49) I've seen this before. The moment you spend that effort on the Nighthawk you're likely to want to spend more on a bigger bike. Don't get me wrong, I love those 250's, but I just think that ya have to love 'em for what they are. And you'd probably be messing with the tuning of a pretty decent running machine for cosmetics.

I'd recommend that you investigate drilling out the baffles if noise is what you want, not new pipes. But I actually don't recommend you do anything to it, other than enjoy it. Heck, a stock Nighthawk still sounds better than a ton of other rides out there.
    :cheers: