1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My New '09 Fat Bob issues

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by phlsphyguy, Oct 24, 2008.

1. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

I bit the bullet and bought an '09 FXDF and picked it up last Tuesday. I got to say it is a cool looking bike, but I am not impressed with it. Here is why:

1. Exhaust rattles (stock exhaust and unmodified-yet)
    2. Rear brake has no effectiveness in stopping-really got to stomp on it to even have any braking effect.
    3. Front end "clunk" everytime I go over the smallest bump in the road-and is getting worse. When I stop there is also a noise that would appear to me to be a head bearing issue. Even riding at speed the front end rattles and makes noise.
    4. Shift linkage sounds like no one lubed the pivot points at all.

Went to stealership and they had it for a day-said everything is normal and that is the way it is. I don't have any of these issues with the Sporty-esp. the front end issues. Are these newer bikes supposed to be this "loose" in the front end...I don't think so, but my experience has been limited to the Sporty thus far.

If this is the way these are, then I can sum it up in three words: Hunk of Junk!

If, after my expression of dissatisfaction at the stealership, nothing is resolved, then I will be forced to contact HD directly, but I am not holding my breath that they will do anything (even with the potential liability issues with a malfunctioning front end).

Anyone have any experience with the above stated issues?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would try a different dealer!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like all they wanted was your money.........and no service!
  3. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Sounds silly, but pull your seat and make sure the back bolts of the gas tank are tight. My wide glide tank was loose and made alot of noise. Much better now. Front suspension noise,,, thats kinda scary huh? Stay on their ass.

As for the dealers response. All I can say is wtf is wrong with these people??
    Dont they know repeat business is what they need ? I used to work for car dealers, and service is the best marketing tool there is. Why a good Harley dealer is so hard to find is beyond the imagination. Wake up you bunch of dumbasses. :banghead:
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I rode a 08 Fat Bob at one dealership and a 09 SE fat bob at another dealership and both ran great and the brakes seemed good and no noised.
    I think its a great ridin bike.
    I would love to have one for a 2nd bike.

2nd going to another dealership to see what is wrong.
  5. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

Funny thing.....when I went there the first time, the service lady said that the rear brake isn't supposed to work...and it is the front brake that stops the bike. I took it back and they still have it..waiting to see what the outcome is. Probably won't pick it up until Wed. or Thurs. this week because we have snow and ice here in PA:wtf: It is only October....

Finding a good Harley dealer is difficult. My riding friends all have horror stories about dealing with the "stealerships." I think it comes down to supply and demand. H-D and the stealerships know that many many many people want their bikes, the demand is great, so they don't have to be customer oriented or even customer friendly. There is always a fresh supply of H-D recruits wanting a bike. Go to a poker run or bike gathering...I think H-D bikes outnumber any other by about 10:1. They make a good product, but I doubt that is what sells them...I remember seeing a Yamaha Star bike-a full cruiser with windshield, bags, foot boards, etc...FULLY loaded...and selling for a reduced price of $8500...No one even looks at it at the H-D stealership (where they also sell Yammys). It is the heritage, mystique, image, etc..that sells the H-D brand....so screw the customer! :gah:
  6. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

Doing some reflection regarding this, I have come to this conclusion: I bought the bike with 2 miles on it and it is under factory warranty for two years and unlimited mileage. I don't feel I need to plead my case to the stealership when I feel something is wrong...I worked my way through college as a Porsche/Audi/VW tech and have worked on Japanese cars to German cars..everything in-between. So, I know about mechanics and when something just isn't right. I feel that the stealership, by way of rude and condescending behavior, wants to disuade people from bringing in their bikes under warranty-warranty issues unrelated to the factory and related to dealer prep, gets no compensation. Warranty issues related to the factory get compensated, but at a much less and greater trouble (paperwork, etc) compensation (so I am told). I'll bet if I brought in my OUT of warranty bike and said the rear brakes didn't seem right, I am certain they would have a 10 piece marching band waiting for me to bring it in with trumpeted fan fare, since they are now getting $70.00 an hour to look at it and that $70.00 is gotten with less hassle than warranty work.

So, I am convinced that the service people are told to hassle customers and make them feel like idiots, thereby disuading them from bringing in their bikes. I feel safety issues are paramount, and if I hear a squeak or rattle that doesn't seem right, I feel I have the right to bring it in and have it looked at. Anyone at the factory is capable of making a mistake and not tightening a bolt to the correct torque value..or anything...these issues coming to the forefront in the first 1000 miles or so.

I will keep you informed...
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Not all dealerships suck like that. Sounds like you got a really bad one.

As far as the rear brake, when I test rode the '08 V-Rod, I felt the same way. Does the bike have anti-lock brakes? I felt as though the rear brake was doing nothing. I mentioned it to the H-D guy that drove the bikes around and ran the demo show and he told me I didn't know how to ride. There's a good explanation.

Are there any other dealerships around you? You don't have to go where you bought it.
  8. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

The owner of the stealership called me, but I was with a patient...am going to call him back ASAP. The H-D guy was right Hot01...judging by the number of posts and the fact you teach the BRC, I would say you don't know how to ride...:roflmao: I can not believe what comes out of peoples' mouths...it is called: Stop, think about what you are going to say, then figure out if it is going to piss off the person:gah:

It does not have ABS...funny thing, I got the same response from the chick in service..told me I didn't know how to ride...and SHE rides a scooter (I have seen her leaving at the end of the day). So, will speak to the owner and see what he has to say...
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

maybe he want to enroll a few of his service folks, especially the goofy blonde at the desk!!!!!!!!!
  10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

You should not be getting rattles, and the rear brake should work. Given your bike does not have ABS you should be able to stand on the rear brake and lock the rear wheel. I know the rear brake of my 07 FXSTC will lock the wheel if I stand on it, I learnt that when some jerk pulled out on me. If not, there is a fault. As to the rattle, you might also want to check the fuel sensors in the pipes, mine had a habit of coming loose. It does sound like you may want to see a mechanic rather than a stealership.
  11. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

Update:

Went up there last night and spoke to the owner...he was VERY applogetic and the service woman that gave me a hard time was also very nice, although she claimed that she never spoke to me in the manner in which she did..whatever....turns out the regional rep for H-D happend to be there and he personally looked at my bike.

The steering tube (head) was not tightened properly and that was the clunking noise..also the steering was loosening and the handlebars were canted to the right riding in a straight line.

The rear brakes were rebled and cleaned and now one can lock up the rear brakes.

the other issues were taken care of and, although I didn't get to ride it home due to weather, it seems fine.

Yeah, front end problems are scary and that is why I took it in. THe owner promised me that I would be treated with respect as a customer and no longer spoken down to by any of the service people...he tried to give me some free stuff for my hassles, but I mentioned that is not the reason I complained and was not looking for anything free...but it was a very nice gesture on his part. Picking it up today and can't wait to put on the RUSH pipes! I am almost embarrassed to ride it because it sounds like a metric bike with the stock pipes.
  12. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Sounds good. Glad it is all sorted.
  13. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Update:

Went up there last night and spoke to the owner...he was VERY applogetic and the service woman that gave me a hard time was also very nice, although she claimed that she never spoke to me in the manner in which she did..whatever....turns out the regional rep for H-D happend to be there and he personally looked at my bike.

Funny how they changed their tune and gave you some respect. Think it had anything to do with the regional rep being there:rolleyes:

Glad you got the issues taken care of, I'd tell him to shove the freebies:fight:, and look around for a decent wrench that wants your business and will give you respect from day one:devil: