1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My Ol' Man - A Rider Story

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

So in 1979 when I bought my first motorcycle, a Yamaha XS750, my Dad began the sh1tstorm, and it raged for decades.

See, he used to ride in the late '50's and early '60's - had a '49 Harley that he chopped the crap out, then got a '52 Indian. When he couldn't keep that running reliably while raising four kids he got a Honda Scrambler - my first ride. But after working his way through college and getting a "respectable" job as a teacher he gave up riding, leaving it to "the less fortunate".

So when his sons enlisted in the military and one had the further lack of propriety to buy a motorcycle, he frothed and spewed about it constantly. Not what the children of a native San Franciscan educator should be stooping to. Should have gone to college, become lawyers, and tranced ourselves to bliss on the top of Mt. Tam. While driving BMWs.

But time tempers every storm. I became a commissioned officer and my brother rose through the enlisted ranks, and our father saw that not only was military service a respectable profession, but it allowed for a respectable life. In our latter years in the service, Dad actually involved himself in some of the functions that the services have. He took a Tiger Cruise with my brother (rode a Navy warship from Hawaii to San Diego) and came to my change of command ceremony, amongst others. And even though the crap about bikes continued, when I got Ol' Red in '99 he actually talked to me about riding, the first time he'd done that since about '67.

By 2004 my brother & I both retired to Nevada, after about 55 years of combined service (and 7 surgeries) and I continued sporadic visits to the SF bay area, riding Ol Red over the Sierra. Each time I visited Dad it seemed he lingered out by my bike a bit more, and there were visits where he said NOTHING bad about the "donor cycle" or even my long hair and muttonchops. Then gas went to about $3.00 a gallon and he decided to break down and buy a bike - to save money. Purely a financial move. Just common sense.

He winced when telling me about the new bike, a Honda Rebel 250. I know he was waiting for the gut-shot, as he kept going on & on & on about the wise financial decision he'd made. I said nothing about the decades of BS, and simply and honestly admired his new ride. It really is a pretty bike, and he even let me ride it. My only comment was that though it could handle the CA-NV runs, it was on the low power side of things to do it often or with any comfort.

He completed his MSF course and put a wine country run under his belt, as well as some around town putts. He learned that the freeways of today are nothing like the highways of the 60's. But we'd no chance to ride together, as I was recovering from my latest knife appointments when I last was in the Bay Area.

He visited here on the 4th of July, as my other brother was in town, and we all went out to the vast desert on the dirt bikes and ATV. We were not saving gas. We were not avoiding parking problems or taking advantage of HOV lanes. We were riding for the fun of riding.

The mask was off. The fog had lifted. For his 72nd birthday, he got himself a BMW850R:rocket_bike: . And now we can ride together, anywhere. Finally.:cool:
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Cool story Red. Too bad it couldn't have happened sooner for both of you, just glad it has a happy ending. :)
  3. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Awesome story, Red... cool of you to share it. Make sure you guys get out there and pound the pavement as much as you can. Cheers. Tell the old man to enjoy the ride.
  4. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

Thanks for sharin', I believe that when it comes to Fathers and Sons, Never is the only time that is too late.My pops never rode and I am the only one in my family that does. Scares my Momma to death just to see me start it up. i lost my pop in 97 ,not that I'm keepin' track, my time with him after my Active Duty time is memories i will always cherish.
    God Bless for sharing the story.:cheers:
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great story red.....thanks!!!!!!
  6. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Great story, Red. Isn't it strange how our values and views change over the years? I know I don't see things the way I did 40 years ago. What made perfect sense to me back then seems pretty stupid today. It's like some of the risks we took when we were younger (riding with no brakes:D ) and couldn't (wouldn't) see what the consequences could be. I know I though I was bullet proof back then. I just got back into riding a few years ago so old dogs can learn. I'm really glad your Dad is getting back with it. Some of the best times I had with my sons growing up was on a dirt bike tearing up powerline right-of-ways. I'd like to try it again. I'm sure it would be just as much fun at this age but I may be a little more careful now days. I don't heal as quick as I once did ;) .
    Slim
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The thing that makes me go "huh?" about my Dad is that he is learning now that the things that he did and the values he had BEFORE he "grew up" have more power than those he had adopted during his 30's-50's. He's getting back to what is real.:cool: