1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My Sturgis experience

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Hot01, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Just got home from Sturgis. Exhausted. Left yesterday around 11am, stopped at my favorite quilt shop in Hill City, and got to Sturgis just before dark. Saw some friends working on Main Street (tattooist and his wife), then met a friend at Full Throttle. I entered the Dyna Drags and was the first woman to do it this year. Got way too much attention, including video taping that might end up on tv. I really had a blast, and got my bike up to 107 mph and did the 1/4 mile in 13.25 seconds. Not bad. Stayed at the Shade Valley campground and then went back into Sturgis for breakfast. Someone recognized me from the dyna last night and complimented me. :D Someone else took a picture of my new wrapped exhaust when I was stopped at an intersection on Main Street. We walked around and talked to a lot of vendors about becoming dealers, which was really cool (especially Baker Drivetrain). It was like work. I can't think of a better job. Left Sturgis around 3 today and just got home. I am beat. Oh, I applied for "Lady Rider of the Year". I'm not sure what I win, but they wanted to know mileage and type of bike (I passed 103K yesterday morning).

My first time in Sturgis for the rally. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, but I can see why there are a lot of wrecks. I can't imagine going there to ride the Black Hills and all during the rally. That can't be much fun with so much traffic. There is so much going on that you have to be watching all the time. Stuff just jumps out everywhere, and because there's so much traffic, you have to be really assertive, which can easily turn to agressive for some people. Plus a lot of people aren't great riders, which means you go into a curve, and even if you had plenty of room when you started, you have to brake because everyone in front of you decided to slow down in the curve. I hate crowds anyway, so 1 day was plenty for me. I was totally overwhelmed by the crowds by noon today.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I had read somewhere that they were estimating a total of around 800k for the rally. man is that a lot of people. I do not think that I would want to be there once everything got into full swing. JMO I am glad that you had a good time. My wife and I are planning to go next year. I can't wait.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have to say , I'am have never been to Sturgis at rally time , & don't think I want to , unless I do like your did A day or two at the start & then get my asz out of there ,I don't like it that crowds that can't ride or drink way to much & decide there related to speed racer & can ride/drive with no problums ,In all my years of riding I've only been to one rally & it's only about 20 miles from home :D
    Congrets on the 107& 13.25 in the drags & WOW on the 103 K on Hot01 & she has a lot left in her :cool:
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

way to go!!!!!!!!!! proud of ya!! hope ya got a few good leads also!!!!
  5. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

yeah, that is cool. You got 103k and your running drag races. My bike must be a piece of crap. I got to tear into it every year and a half or so to keep it running good and I only got 85k. :( Oh well. sucks to be poor or I'd buy a new bike.

Sturgis and the crowds are cool for a couple of days that's it, but for those couple of days there is a lot to see and do. It may be a bit dangerous but it is fun. It's like the motorcycle Mecca.
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

This the first time in 10 years that we are not going, I like to go because there is so much cool bike stuff and a lot of stuff that is just bling or junk jewelry. We usually go to the full throttle for a little bit but that is the only bar we go to. We find a place on LaSalle St and people and bike watch. It is crazy, I still remember the first time I went back in the 90’s I was just in awe at how many bikes there were. It is a lot different now, lots of RUB’s with their high dollar motorcycles and matching motorhomes. It is an experience that I think ever biker should experience at least once.
    I am glad you had a good time. I'll bet at 107mph the ol Hot01 was screaming like a banshee.
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

My last run is on Facebook now. If you're on FB and a friend, check it out!
  8. chucktx

i searched, but couldnt find it. the original 2 vids are there tho..........
  9. steveb

steveb Active Member

With all of those people out there that I swear only ride once a year after they trailer their bike to Sturgis is why my bro had the accident last year. Guy pulled out from a stop sign right in front of us and bro hit him.
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The 4 times we have been to Sturgis we really enjoyed it. Like said great bike stuff, and always enjoyed the demo bikes. I always liked sitting on a bench along Hill City and bike/people watching. Course the wife likes to go to the same quilt shops you do Abby. Good job on the drag racing.
  11. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That's the only video Chuck.

I couldn't believe the number of campers and trailers we saw on the way up and back.
  12. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

This is without a doubt the saddest thing that I have seen develop over the last 10 years at least. Less and less riders. Half the experience of the Sturgis week is the ride to Sturgis. All the things in this country to see and the people (REAL RIDERS) that you meet a long the way. I've partied with people I never met as far away as south west Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, etc. The first time I road from Detroit when I used to live there and met a couple of guys from Canada when we where stuck in the traffic jams around Chicago. stuff like that sticks with you for ever and those trailer folks just don't get it.:witsend:

maybe its me, i don't know, but I just don't understand some people :banghead:
  13. chucktx

i can only find the 2 vids..."grandma;s going cross country" and "on the way to full throttle bike nite"........
    maybe i am in the wrong section???? these are on your "wall".....i am so puter illiterate:banghead::banghead:
  14. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That is one thing that I am not sure that I am looking for is all of the people out there. I guess I have a hard time thinking it would be fun with all of the drunk people there and slamming into you. I would enjoy the hell out of the ride there though. so far I pretty much ride by myself, it just seems a little safer and a little more head clearing.
  15. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Chuck, look at my profile, the main part, and scroll down a little. It was a video posted by someone else, so it doesn't show up in the same section.

Tom and Johnny, I couldn't agree more, hence the reason it took this long for me to go to Sturgis. There's no way I'd blow good vacation time to go there, but since I can make it in less than a day, I figured it would be worth it to do it at least once. I'm glad I went, but I wouldn't jump through any hoops to do it again. Y'all know my preferred mode of motorcycle travel... :D
  16. Chrome

Chrome New Member

I went to Sturgis in 2002...you are soo right...too many unexperienced riders!! I think I went to the rally twice, the rest of the time I spent in the mountains....GREAT curves and scenery!! Less people seemed to be riding the mountains, which was good...I want to go back!! Maybe off rally time!!!!!!!!
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't have a problem with the campers,
    there are no where near enough homes, hotels
    and rooms to handle the people, so lots bring
    campers to stay, then ride.

No way I have time to get on the bike and ride
    a week up and week back and spend a week there.

I'd probably have mine taken up on a transport and fly in
    and spend more time there, just that point in life... There is
    a guy here, takes your bike, in a semi with others, meets you at the
    airport, bike ready to roll, if you breakdown or need transportation (too many beers)
    he'll come get you.

Would I like to ride up there, yeah, but
    time prohibits it at well... this time LOL

hey I dont wanna wait till I'm 70 to do it...
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I am on facebook but don't know how to find you or make you a friend?
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member