1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Myrtle Beach Bike Rally Ban

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Harleywyld1, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Harleywyld1

Harleywyld1 New Member

I would like to start a new thread on what everyone's thoughts are on the MB City Councils attempt to Ban the Spring Harley Rally.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

1. It is crap.

2. It is legal if they/the people of Myrtle beach/ decide it is.

3. Vote the bums out.

4. Don't wait for a rally to get on your ride.
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I was about to skip and just read as red was on the case, then I had to come back and stir it up a little, I think the dumbazzs ought to ban the ralley, why not it seems to be so disturbing that it overrides the importance of the income to the community, so heck yea let em ban it then any thing that has to do with rallys events fund raising etc. boycot attendance make sure that there is a community that is close but not financially close to continue the events and start anew allbet there is a community that understands the value of a dollar.
  4. Harleywyld1

Harleywyld1 New Member

Bike Rally Ban

Unfortunately once again the wishes of a few override the majority. I have family and friends that live in the area. My friends actually work in the service industry. They LOVE the rally. It puts bread on the table in an otherwise slow part of the year. The shame is that in 2009 it would be the 69th anniversary of this rally.
    Once again bikers are being singled out as lower class citizens.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You also have to consider the costs to the city, now that property values are going back to older levels tax revenue is dropping and the rally costs a lot of money to cover from LEO, Fire, medical, garbage, etc, that's covered from fees and hotel surcharges. Lots of overtime during that week.

A lot of the money spent leaves town from outside vendors that travel from Daytona in March to Myrtle, Laconia, Sturgis, Laughlin etc and back to Daytona, same people same crap same places and the money leaves town.

Yep some $ stays in hotels and bars and rest. But you don't find many bike event people spending bucks at the civic centers, malls, movies, mostly food beer and stuff.

You should see main street in Daytona, ghost town, a few bars remain open year round but without the events they'd be closed for good.
  6. Harleywyld1

Harleywyld1 New Member

Yes there are costs associated with an event like this, but the revenue from the vendor permits has shown to offset that cost. Also this is a year round tourist destination that has many other events that bring in lots of people, such as the high school graduation crowds. And we all know how high school and college kids act when they get to the beach.
    As far as money leaving town with the vendors, a lot of these folks hire locals part time. Also the vendors are not the only people who benefit from people shopping. This is at the beach, grocery stores, gas stations, malls, restaruants, hotels, and yes bars, all benefit from this event.
    I have been going to the rally for more than 20 years now and except for one year back in the early 90's when a bunch of 1% er's showed out, has there been any trouble.
  7. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

You find this hard to believe?? Hasn't that been the sentiment forever, we've always been considered lower class....It's a shame but.....

Just like around here, there's this town called New Hope, Pa. The business owners love the bikers cuz we bring the $$ every weekend, but the locals hate us, even though it's a total tourist area. The cops love us too!! They ticket us for parking three bikes in a space, loud pipes, ape hangars, etc.....They love our $$$ that's for sure, no matter how they get it.

Ok rant over, sorry.....