1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Neck Bearing

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jul 25, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Getting reading for the big trip so when changing all the oils I decided to grease the neck bearing on the new 2011 Ultra. I don't think there was any grease in it. I pumped and pumped grease into it for a long time. I can't believe it took that much. Its not oozing out.
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Dude, thanks. I been going thru mine too and I forgot that I needed to grease the neck bearing. I better get that done tonight before I forget again.
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

My chiropractor does mine! :roflmao:
    Seriously, I went through that routine also and gues what, the grease began oozing out especially in hot weather. Now part of my routine is wiping the grease off the neck. But hell, at least I know the bearings are lubed.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

As hot as it is back east I might get some grease that oozes out. I used a good heavy grease.
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I used automotive wheel bearing grease when I did my neck. I don't have a grease fitting so I had to do it while the triple tree was off the bike. Packed the bearings & just smeared a bunch on the shaft and put it back together. Good to go for a long time. I don't get why you guys have to pack so much grease in the neck.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if greased correctly, ya dont have to pack a lot of grease in there.................that said, harley puts a grease fitting in the newer necks, and i think they need them cause i took mine apart once and there was hardly any grease in there!!!! so, kinda glad the fitting is there...............
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

You'd think they would pack those bearings adequately at the factory. Could this be a case of cost cutting by not using enough grease? Some of the newer motorcyle grease I've seen is white and it seems thin. I don't use it at all.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

They could be using the light weight lithium grease. We used to use that stuff at work for everything and it degrades fast, especially in high temp applications.