1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need Advice HD Air Cleaner Kit or K and N Filter

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Peyts, May 4, 2007.

1. Peyts

Peyts New Member

I need some advice regarding my air cleaner assembly for a Stage 1 upgrade. I have received some differing opinions, and I really have no idea who to trust... hence I need some advice here.

I have a 2006 HD Sportster XL1200L. I have already changed out the pipes, replacing them with Vance & Hines slip-ons. I am now planning on rejetting the carb and changing the air cleaner/filter to finish the Stage 1.

Here is my problem. I have been told by some that putting a K&N filter on my bike, using the stock air cleaner kit, is really all I need. However, the Harley reps tell me that I need a whole new Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner kit, which will provide a new backing plate... they say that the stock air cleaner kit will not allow enough air through and that installing the K&N filter with the stock kit will have little effect.

I am sure that changing out the entire kit would be better, but how much better? Is it actually worth the significant price difference with just putting a K&N filter on?

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated. Cheers!
  2. Clem

Clem New Member

The K&N backing plate does away with the restrictive HD plastic housing with only limited air inlet areas. Have you removed any of your breather assembly to have a look?
  3. Peyts

Peyts New Member

I am not aware of a K&N backing plate, just the K&N filter to attach to the HD stock backing plate. Either that or buy the whole new Screamin Eagle kit. I have looked at the stock kit... not sure if this is good or not, as this is my first Harley.
  4. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

good info

sounds to me that the steeler gave you some dead on correct advice. I'm of the impression that the screaming eagle air clearer kit is as good as it gets when it comes to air flow. they go for about 140.00 and are simple to put on. make sure when you get the kit it comes with the re-useable (pinkish) K&N filter and not the paper one.:cool:
  5. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Thanks... so I guess that it is worth the cash, eh?

See my bike and accessories at
    www.CruiserCustomizing.com - Peyts
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

You might want to check on ebay, you can get the HD screamin eagle kit cheaper than at the steeler. Or you can go with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker breather kit, which is cheaper than HD. You should be able to find both on ebay.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  7. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

i have the screamin eagle intake with a k&n filter on my 02 sporty,you wont be dissappointed..........although i like the look of an ss cleaner better.

TRG
  8. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Thanks for all the info and advice that I have received thus far... it certainly seems overwhelming that I should get the Screamin Eagle kit. If there are any other experiences with this, I would love to hear them. Cheers!

LARRY
  9. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If you can afford the SE or Arlen Ness big sucker then they are your best bet. Otherwise the K&N filter (HD-8834) will still achieve much better flow than stock and typically runs around 65 bucks. I think the K&N mentioned earlier that has its own backing plate is only for the Twin Cam models, whereas the one for Sportsters is only the filter and uses your stock backing.
  10. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Thanks, bro. I have started looking on eBay for the SE air cleaner kits... I don't mind spending the $$$, so long as it is actually worth it. Appreciate the info and advice!
  11. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

My 1st HD was a sporty and I was getting the 5K check up, when I asked the service Manager if I needed a SE air cleaner kit. I was told that with the newer ones (2000-on) they already have a high flow air cleaner. Purchasing anything else would just be overkill. So I went without and all was well. I thought why waste the money??? He did give me some straight up advice. Was an independent repair/custom shop. In fact the owners are pit crew members for one of the NASCAR drivers. Can't remember which one though.:)
  12. Clem

Clem New Member

Pey, "the HD backing plate that fits the K&N filter"!! No, K&N only makes filters for the Harley, no backing plates or bolts to hold them on. Your awareness overwhelms you! I think you knew what I meant....

I personally like the early version backing plate that was sold by HD that DID NOT include the breather ports. The breathers were through chrome bolts spaced away from the heads and rubber tubes (still available from HD) routed through the backing plate to the throttle body. Looks old school and works just fine - steel parts chrome plated...
  13. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

K&N does make a kit that includes a new backing plate. I put the SE air cleaner kit on my wifes sporty (It had a K&N filter), but I understand that the new SE Air cleaner kits do not have a K&N style cleanable filter, so I put a K&N kit on her Heritage.
  14. Ted

Ted New Member

On the K&N web site for a ultra they have 2 filters RK3909 is 1 5/8 tall and the other one comes with a backing plate RK3910 is 2 1/4 tall. that seams to make a lot of difference surface aria.

Maybe that will help Later Ole Ted