1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need advice on correct set up.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Powdermike, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Powdermike

Powdermike New Member

I just purchased a 2004 HD FLHT Standard from a private party. The motor is a stock TC88 so I believe. The previous owner put a set of true dual headers on it and Rinehart 4" slip-on performance mufflers. He told me nothing has been done to the carb. And upon removal of the air cleaner cover, nothing has been changed there either, looks all stock. Should I install a Stage 1 CV carb kit is my first question and second should I also add a performance style air cleaner element? Being the previous owner has the engine's exhaust flowing outward better it seems obvious he should have taken care of the inbound side also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Powdermike
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

How does the bike run? In most cases one can get away with changing the mufflers without having to mess with the jetting, but if you go ahead and change the air box, then you'll have to change jetting for sure. If that bike is bone stock other than the mufflers, ride it.
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  3. Powdermike

Powdermike New Member

It seems to run just fine. I would just as soon leave it alone if I could. Not looking for a hot rod by any stretch, just a smooth ride.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes you can leave it, but it's probably a bit leaner running, which means hotter, in the long run a little carb tuning would be best, the CV will take care of much of the issue but remember that HD bikes are a lean as they can get them to pass EPA rules.

I'd do a K&N filter or HD stage 1 kit, remove the EPA cover over the idle mix screw and adjust it properly, it will run better and you'll have a bit more power which is good for this bigger bikes.
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  5. Powdermike

Powdermike New Member

I appreciate your time and feedback. I guess I've got some thinking of to do.
  6. Red Rider2

Red Rider2 New Member

I concur with HRK, as running too lean can eventually cause problems - bluing pipes being only a cosmetic one, but excessive heat wears stuff out quicker. A K&N and minor tune would be better for the bike.
  7. Powdermike

Powdermike New Member

The general train of thought and advice has me headed towards the minor modifications. Thanks, guys!
  8. JohnnyBiker

Depending on what he does for mufflers, in my experience, changing the mufflers will make it go fat, not lean. When I changed out my Vance and Hines mufflers to the Basanni DNT's, it went fat not lean. No cam change either when i did that.
  9. Powdermike

Powdermike New Member

It already had(has) true duals and Rinehart 4" slip-on mufflers.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Here's what I would do. Keep track of your fuel mileage to start. If your bike is getting better than 46 mpg, pull the plugs and see what those look like looking for a lean condition. I'm assuming that you aren't hard on the throttle so your fuel mileage readings should be consistent. If you're getting under 46 but over 40, leave it alone.
  11. Powdermike

Powdermike New Member

It might be awhile before I can test it as winter in Northern Wisconsin doesn't allow for bike riding...lol. I am easy on the throttle so when things warm up here in about 5 months I'll make some notes.
  12. JohnnyBiker

If you look at my avatar, that is my bike with the stock air box on it. When I bought that bike, it had the Andrews 37g cam in it with the Vance and Hines mufflers on it and other than the cam, a stock 88 engine. That set up NEVER and do mean NEVER made any noise from the carb. I didn't change any of it until I did a 98" big bore top end which included head work.

I understand completely that you want your bike to run top notch though. But with that being said, having a "stock" set up doesn't mean that it isn't. CVP makes AWESOME products and when you actually need them, then they are the ones to go to.

I learned a lot about bikes from this forum and have spent a lot of time learning how they react to different things and was starting to work on other peoples bikes. Some advice that I was given but ignored at times is that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If you choose to ignore it, cool, but please take the time to do simple diagnosis to find out if there is really a need for it, especially in a stock application.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  13. Powdermike

Powdermike New Member

I hear ya...I haven't had but a couple of miles on the seat of this Glide so yes, it will be given a good run at before I jump on anything. I see you have true duals on your bike, mine has the same also. A very clean look. Thanks for your advice. I'm taking it all in...