1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need advice on new bike purchase

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by freerider8, Mar 2, 2008.

1. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

hey there all bike owners, I need some advice on purchasing a newer bike. I am unsure about buying a Harley. If I do buy one it will probably be a sportster because I don't have a lot of money to spend on something more, but I worry about comfort on the longer rides. I checked out the new Harley nightster 1200 which looks really nice, but it is still a sportster.
    I like the honda shadows and they ride nice and are a lot cheaper than a harley, plus I want something that is at least and 1100 or bigger.
    so if anyone can offer any advice on what to buy it would be great.
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

The Nightster is a good looking Sportster, but I wasn't comfortable on it at all. I know there are Sportster riders here that love their bikes, but on the ones I demo'd, I would never consider riding one long distance. If you aren't determined to get a Harley, want something to ride long distances, and are limited to less than $10K, I'd look at the Japanese bikes.

That's just me. I'm sure you'll get many different opinions here.
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

A couple of options you could look at.....Honda Shadow Saber is a nice bike. I had one, sold it to my bro-in-law....he still rides it, in fact rode it round trip from SE Iowa to Strugis last year. It is 1100 and is a nice bike. Another thing you may look into would be a used Dyna.....think they were 12K new or so......used, not sure what the market would bring, but they were the cheapest of the 88 inch HD (1450 CC).....don't remember which dyna, think it may have been dyna glide....but I have been known to be wrong!! best bet is to get out there and see what is available in the used bike market close to you, sit on a few and see what is comfortable!
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

the wide glide

is the most expensive model closer to 17k or so. Not sure what ya call long rides but my sporties had forward controls and I rode'em for 700-1000 miles per day.I would not suggest doing it with drag bars though no matter what the bike. :D :cool: Good luck and enjoy the journey!!! those trips wore me out in the shoulder blade area.
  5. whacker

whacker Active Member

I got a sportty ,the forward controls help,along with my mustang seat,that is pretty comfortable.I would only buy a Harley cause I can get parts for it no matter how old it is...but to each his own....Sure you could find a good used one.Good luck in your search....
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

not sure how soon ya need to have your bike, but if you look around at the dealers, they are sitting on a lot of new and used bikes. folks arnt buying like they have in the past. it is becoming a buyers market instead of a sellers. shop around....you should be able to get a good used cruiser with low miles for the same price as a 1200 piglet!!!! also check the local newspapers and on line ads....not fleabay. good luck and when ya find something let us know...and ask all the questions ya want....nobody here will steer you in the wrong direction.......:)
  7. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Depends On If Your Pay'n Cash, Or How Old Or New. I'm One Of The Ones With Drag Bars And No Cushin In The Seat, Anything Over 100 Miles, Well Ok 50, Becomes A Real Pain In The A$$. Most Of My Ride'n Is In Town. That's Where They Get The Bar Hoper Name. Not To Metion It Gets Like A Vibrater Around 70mph. Not To Comefy On Long Hwy Ride'n. There's The Other ? What Kinda Ride'n You Want To Do And What Comfert Level Are You Willing To Endure.
  8. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

My XLH 883 is really fine on the highway when I put on the big ass seat Harley sells. Controlling the bike is easier with the bigger seat as well. That, and a windshield on a 1200 Sportster ought to do you just fine. Look for a late model special at a dealer, bet it's 7-8 grand if you shop.
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The thing about Harleys is they aren't just motorcycles - they are artwork. And a canvas you can keep painting on to suit your own personality, whether it is a Sportster or an Ultra Glide or any model between. But they aren't cheap, either - to buy or to maintain.

If you want to be a Harley-Davidson rider, then do it to the best of your ability. Go for the best bike you can get into the saddle of. If it is more important to get a functional machine that isn't going to be as important to you as your dog or your spouse, then there are many fine other motorcycles out there.

Don't get hung up on engine size. Size is only a factor in power output, but engine design has a whole lot to do with total power output. The 45 degree V-twin is not the most efficient design - its just the one that many of us love more than any other. There was a time when a 750cc was considered a BIG bike.

Good luck, and hope to see ya on the highways.
  10. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Many bikes out there good as new that don't get ridden much and quite a bit less than new......I bought a 2002 with 1500 miles on it......hardley broke in. They're out there but you may need patients in the search......worked good for me.
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Just keep your eye's & ears open ,if your no sure you what a Hd you can look at the Honda VTX 1300or 1800 both are good bikes , My son-in-law rode a vtx 1300C & he's a real good size young man about 6ft & 300lbs rode a 800 mile day with me & I have A E glide you can also look at the yam silverado with the 102 engine , if you see one while your out riding stop & ask the rider's how they like that bike there riding size them to your size , you never said what your riding now , but if a 1100 or bigger is what you want go just a bit larger for about the same money & get a vtx or the yam , I have riden all the bikes above , at one time or another , but never owened them , so I 'am looking at this open minded :D good luck
  12. fujimo

fujimo New Member

yup

this is about rite,,, depends on you,,, the thing with harley is parts will be there forever,,, the right one is the one best fits you,,, mel has ridden a 883 twice to rolling thunder from west coast with me and loved it,,, now has a sportster,,, ken is 330 lbs and rides a 03 sportster,,, and loves it,,, these are distance riders,,, i looked at a 03 sportster today with 3480 miles on it,,, not a scratch,,, for sale,,, so they can be found,,,pops
  13. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Buying A Motorcycle

It Isn't Just What You Have To Spend But It Also Has A Lot To Do With Your Age,height,weight,experience And You Should Consider Resale Value. I Believe Buying A Harley Is Like Buying Something That Will Inhance Your Life. Parts Are Always Available But It Can Get Expensive. You Really Should Go To Different Dealerships And Try Out The Fit Of The Bikes That Interest You,whether It Is A Hd Or Something Else. Surf The Internet For Prices Of Different Models Both Used And New. Check Out Insurance Rates As Well. If You Buy New And You Want To Add Or Change Something On The Bike You Should Have It Agreed To Be Done Before You Sign The Papers.i Have Ridden 175 Cc To My Present 2006 Ultraclassic. I've Ridden The Japanese Bikes Up To 800 Cc. I Know That A Shaft Driven Bike Is A Smoother Ride Especially In The Larger Models. Having Said All This, A 1200 Sportster Can Be Made A Very Comfortable Ride Depending On Your Size. Everyone Here Will Agree That You Take The Time To Shop And Research Before You Buy. In The End You Will Probably Do As I Did And Get What You Want [ Worry About The Expense Later ]. I Couldn't Afford Mine But Somehow I Manage To Make The Notes Without Sacrificing Anything Important. I Got The Five Year Extented Warranty And Full Coverage Insurance To Protect My "investment". My 2006 Has 32,000 Miles On It And Every One Of Them Was Worth EVERY CENT I HAVE SPENT.
  14. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

" My 2006 Has 32,000 Miles On It "

Damn FRXMAS, where'd you go, Alaska to Argentina and back? ;)
  15. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Were are you located I may be willing to part with my 1995 Super Glide...???

Cracker

Attached Files:

16. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Guessing by the background, are you in the Pacific Northwest by chance?:)
  17. Cracker

Cracker New Member

I'm about 35 miles SW of Chicago...eagerly waiting for spring to be sprung :)
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Ummmm !
    Look at a used Standard. YOu could find a used one for around 10,000.
    It will ride the city streets and will go on the long ride for you. They will lean about as far as you want to lean.
    They are 15,500 brand new. They may seem a little big to you to start with. But if you ride one for a month you will have a very different though in yer head.
    I started on a sporster, and got a Pan and have had a lot of other bikes inbetween and could never git the ride of the pan off my mind. Had to go git another bike close to the panhead again. It was the Standard. What you can do with a standard is limitless.
  19. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

i am in northwest pennsylvania. your bike is very nice, i like that style
  20. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Lots of good stuff said... Only thing I'd add is do your homework... Research the bike your interested in and if your going used, scope out the N.A.D.A. and Blue Book price so you have room to haggle... The bike I got now, I was able to haggle the owner down some 500 dollars... Doesn't sound like much, but every little bit does help... I'm still riding it after 3 years and some 28000 miles... :)