1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

need exhaust help for 05 softtail deluxe

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by westlandharley, Aug 18, 2004.

1. westlandharley

westlandharley New Member

I just got a 05 softail deluxe. I wanted to get a set of Vance & Hines bigshot longs for it. But I just talk to a harley service guy and he told me that if i go with a none harley made after market exhaust it will cost me about $500 for the power command plus 3 hours labor to install it. So that is about $810 just to have my EFI up to par for the pipes.

But he says if I go with Screamin eagles it will only cost about $200 to get my EFI ready for the 16 gauge double barrel pipes.

Does this sound right? any help or comments would be great.
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Check with CD on the Power Commander for price.....think it is around 360-370ish..... I am a nurse.....NOT A MECHANIC, I installed my own power commander in less then 30 minutes, that included taking off both saddle bags (does not include the fight to put them back on:D ). Instructions from the power commander web site are very simple to follow and include pics. As to the pipes..... I just put on my own slip ons tonite in less then 2 hours. Not sure if I am willing to take on a project such as "true dual headers and pipes" yet, but also don't have a garage or all my tools. I would check around and talk with others first. May be able to get more for less by doing it yourself or taking to another shop. Good luck!!:cool:
  3. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

West:Congrats on the new bike!

Read "Pythons on a Softail" and "Power Commander Question" threads in this forum for lots of recent discussion on swapping out pipes and installing the Power Commander.

As for costs: I ran the gamut from local dealers to various internet sites shopping for price and selection. DIRECT PARTS (who sponsor this chat) have the best prices on the PCIII at $290, as well as on an assortment of pipes. (I don't own Direct Parts and I don't work for them! Just a recent customer!). The HD dealers and the J&P website are asking $350 for the PCIII. I bought the Pro Pipe ($388), PCIII ($289), Big Sucker ($89), and some gaskets ($5) from Direct Parts for a grand total of ~$778. I will do the labor myself. Your total cost depends on what you select, but I hope you can see that doing it yourself saves money for you to pick a better set of goodies for your machine.

ARNurse just told us about the simplicity of installation of the PCII, and I will add my own two cents worth this weekend when mine gets here. I am installing my stuff my '04 Heritage Softail.

The key thing is to tune the PCIII to your exact combo of pipe and breather and EFI stage. Read the Power Commander website! The ultimate tune of the EFI under a Power Commander seems to come from going to a competent and experienced dyno tech fora session.

Good luck. Post your experiences here for all of us to learn from!

Yo, down the road,

Louder and Prouder!

Painter
  4. westlandharley

westlandharley New Member

Thank you for the feed back. Im going to order my exhaust/PC/stage 1 kit today and do the work myself as soon as it gets here.I looked around and found that directparts has everything I want at the best price.

Keep us posted on how everything went Painter.