1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need help, new '07 or '08 ultra

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rickster, Jul 9, 2007.

1. rickster

rickster New Member

I am trying to decide on which one to buy. I can still get an '07 new in the color I want, but the new specs are out today on the '08 for about $500 more. the '08 has a rear isolated drive system that is to reduce driveline noise, & is the terminology of a 6spd cruise drive trans the same trans as the '07. I have read prev. posts about 5th gear noise & changing to a diff. gear lube. I may need to make a quick decision on the '07 tomorrow. so please reply asap, thanks rickster (soon to be a harley rider again)
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

welcome rick, and sorry i dont have enough info on the 08's to give you a good answer.....hopefully some one does......
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'd go with the '08 for the 500 bucks difference. If the '07's were sweet and trouble free I'd hold off but this will be year two for the 96 which should mean that some of the issues around the heat and tranny noise should be resolved.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Rickster,

I haven't heard anything about the rear isolated drive system, but the cruise drive 6 speed is still the same as the 2007 models. I think the price difference will be for the 105th anniversary badging which the motorcompany will likely try to milk for every ad dollar they can. I tried running comparisons on their site between 07 and 08 models and really couldn't find any major differences other than some appear to have beefier brakes. I'd try working on the salesman a bit to get a better deal on the 2007 model, and if he won't budge tell him you'll keep looking at other dealers for one to drop in price in prep for the 08's. If you do go for the 08 you may actually have to wait until the fall for them to actually get them in (but don't let the dealer think you can't wait).

In my case I'm practically forced to wait for the 2008's to arrive. I had wanted to get a Electra Glide Classic this year but they are all sold out in Southern California, DOH! Oh well, it just gives me more time to spend with my carbed Heritage before I take the EFI plunge.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are going bagger the 08's have a lot of significant differences

6 gallon gas tank
    Brembo Front brakes
    Throttle by wire (no cables)
    IDS belt system (this was around on japanese bikes in the 70's) no telling how it will hold up to constant use. Me, I'd make them swap the rear pulley for a 07 model style.
    There are a lot more electronic changes.

Now the bad part, throttle by wire takes a dump in two years how much will you be out of pocket, easy to replace a throttle cable and its the first year of this setup, Brembos are nice but not repairable must be replaced entirely (not pads the calipers if they take a dump)

ECM is under the seat now,

Battery has top mount screws (about time)

That's about the main differences.

07 will me more than $500 less you can deal on them maybe pay $1500 less.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for jumping in with that info HRK. Do you know if the Brembo's will be on all models? I love my Lyndal pads and would hate to give them up if you can't use them on the new calipers. Also wondering if the Throttle by Wire will appear on the EG Classic or just the Ultras. Info has been kind of spotty whether some items are optional or not. Spoke with 2 different dealers, and of course got two different answers.

I did find this info on Harley's site about the new IDS.
    Isolated Drive System Sprocket
  7. Clem

Clem New Member

Darn, HRK is compelling me to go look at an '08!

I'll need to do this in secret though.....Harley's have ears, and like women, they don't like disfaithfullness... yep, that's a word! My Harley said so....with a loving fart and just a little bit of hesitation now and then.

(I still might sneak a peak while buying some little chrome trinket for 'her'. Besides, I've had my hands all over her so she's just not fit for another....she's ruined :rolleyes: )

Bill C.
  8. rickster

rickster New Member

appreciate everyones input, sounds like with all models ( or years) there is pros & cons. My situation has changed. My salesman thought I might have a chance at a black pearl '07 he had coming in. This one was gotten for in someone else. He thought the first deal would fall thru, but the first guy bought it. He called me back tonight & said that the first '08 ultra classic he gets in Aug. would be black pearl. After my wife set me straight in the pocket book, I bid on & won an '06 on e-bay. It has 7300 miles. (black pearl). it has lots of extras & almost a year left on warrenty. I'm sure i'll miss not having the options of the newer models, but hey, at least she let me get this one , I think I'll be happy with this one, & I'll be riding again real soon!!
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

rickster , sounds like you got a good deal & the wife is:D happy so your happy enjoy your new ride
    :cool:
  10. Shadows

Shadows New Member

What's it cost US to buy say an Ultra Classic '08 in the USA - the Aussie dollar is at $0.86c to yours at the minute - curoius - anything Harley in Aust. is as expensive as pulling teeth - like a set of F & R ordinary stainless rotors here is $400.00 AU and on Ebay US cheeep @ $80.00 + $40 freight to here.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  11. Clem

Clem New Member

Some '08's are a waste

Went on line looking at the '08's on the HD site. A 'FatBoy' Dyna?....and two new softails with diving boards on the rear...The 'custom' softail is a strange looking and too late styled custom - over and done with. HD stepped on their dorks with these....A stretched 'stock' bike - come on HD! Too trendy! I hate trendy!

But, they'll probably sell them....

I wish they would concentrate on giving their customers a good product with parts available for a while and not specific to one model bike. They are trying to take the entire market - full scope - and each one is a custom bike....Not Good.

Bill C.
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

08 Information

08 Tech Docs and Wallpapers

Get it while its up

Brembo's won't take your current lyndalls but I'm sure Lyndall will come up with a pad,

Throttle by wire is on all FLH, not on softail, dyna or sporty

Imagine room for all the servo's and motors is the issue on the throttle by wire and probably why it's got a 6 gallon tank to hide all the extra bits.

Wonder how it will work if you cut a throttle wire or a servo takes a dump in bumfug egypt, going to be a long day, least with a cable you can swap them and ride home.

Oh and the cruise control unit is gone with the third cable, it's part of the throttle by wire system.

They are claiming big MPG gains.

I will wait and see, being the hop up guy I am, wonder what will be the ramifications on throttle by wire for larger motors and changing intakes.
  13. Clem

Clem New Member

Throttle by wire (computer to servo) makes for a nervous situation. I'm a believer in solid state circuitry but HD is known to short-cut. For example; the computer and fuel system on Harleys is all interconnected by Packard weather proof connectors; but then all of the power circuits that distribute through fuses to those same circuits are open to any blast of water that may unknowingly blast its way during a wash job or a ride in the rain AND the resulting connection corrosion. I would like to disassemble one of those 'cutting edge technology' bikes on the showroom floor to actually see what's there. ---- Not harping, but have had electrical problems with HD's 'technology'.

We just bought a new truck.... there is a cable from the pedal to the throttle air valve with the 'old' TPS that YOU set physically with your foot. My hand on a motorcycle throttle control needs to mean that I have total control, not: MAYBE IF IT WORKS THIS TIME......!!!

Bill C.
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what truck you have????? all i have seen for the last 10 yrs or so is a rehostat from the pedal to a servo in the throttle body or pump.....i like the cable idea also!!!
  15. rickster

rickster New Member

'o8 msrp

shadows, from hd website vivid black is $20695,color is $21225, two tone is $21655, aniv color $23270. I think around $500 more than last model year.
  16. Shadows

Shadows New Member

Thanks for that - it's as I thought - HD anything in Australia is very XXX'y comparatively to US. Allowing for the exchange rate it all seems to be
    ( genuine that is ) + 25% - wondering of course the ins and outs of low k late model used HD ' any ' imported to AU and how to legit beat Customs and import duty etc etc. - best do some homework - maybe an ownership registered my name with a US address , period in US etc , might escape some or all of the import taxes - don't know. Will study up. It's just that I am tired of the general stick up out here on $$$'s. Finally it - " gets to you ". Have friends in SC and FL so I'll get them to study that end. Thanks again.
  17. Clem

Clem New Member

Dodge Ram Larime - 5.7 Hemi with a throttle cable....
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Clem has a real man's truck :D My Bro-in-law has the 03 Ram with the hemi & well over 170K miles & still run's like new
    :cool:
  19. Clem

Clem New Member

Yea, that's why my wife has her sweet little ass in it most of the time...!