1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need help removing rear head

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rkortan, Jun 20, 2009.

1. rkortan

rkortan New Member

I am removing the rear head on my 98 wide glide because I have one stud broken off at the fin and the other is stripped. I went to remove the rocker box and found the two bolts on the left side can't be reached with a straight allen wrench. It looks like there must be a special tool to get those two bolts out. Is there a special trick?
    Also if it costs a lot to have the head repaired I was thinking of getting the Edelbrock Performer set of heads and cam and just put them one. Anyone have any thoughts? 50k on my bike......Thx Bob
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

those bolts should have six sides on them also.....i think either a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench will get them, or 1/4 drive sockets with pull handle.......let us know!!
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I use an allen wrench that I cut a little off the short end, basically making it as short as possible but still able to get enough into the bolt. Then it is like turning it one flat at a time. Agonizingly slow but you got to bite your lip and don't try to rush it cause you just get the wrench stuck between the frame.

Also. you have to lower the engine as much as possible. wide glides rubber mounted .. right ?? remove the front mount.
  4. hddoc94565

hddoc94565 New Member

Cut down allen wrench or a 7/16 socket also cut down. Mac tools has a wrench that is made just for the rockers on TC and Evo. If you lift the rear wheel it will drop the motor and give you a little more room. make sure not to mix up the inner and outer rocker bolts as the lengths are different. if you get them in the wrong holes is easy to strip out or bottom them on reassembly.
  5. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Thanks. I cut a 3/16 allen wrench so it would work. I have the head off now I need to decide how far to go on the repair.
    The combustion chamber is covered with carbon very black probably a 64th thick? The top of the piston is also covered with carbon.
    How much carbon can I get away with. Can I just have the studs repaired and put the head on with new gaskets or should I spend the money to go through the whole top end at 50k miles. What should I expect as a life for the top end if I just put it back together after having the new studs put in?
    Thanks this is really fun.............Bob
  6. chucktx

question......how much money is in your budget for this repair??? you can go from just installing the studs and cleaning the piston/head.......or go for a 95" kit. your call....
    have fun and let us know. this build will depend on the green backs ya want to toss at it!! lol
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

What is in a 95 inch kit?

This is an EVO. I've heard of the S&S 93 inch kit for an EVO, but not the 95 inch kit. Is that all HD parts?

Also, EVO screamin eagle heads are only 700 bucks from Chillicothe, OH Harley.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

IMO rather than buying a set of heads and having a perfectly good set of heads lying around, get your stock heads ported. Lots of porters around that know their stuff, but do your homework first and be realistic about the gains you want and the RPM range you want them in.
    Here's some info from Big Boyz site..I'm thinking about sending my TC heads to them over the winter, HeadQuarters and Branch Flowmetrics are 2 of the best in the business at porting
    Big Boyz Street Heads - Big Boyz Head Porting
    Iv'e heard of the S&S 89" kit for Evos, 4-5/8 stroke flywheels stock bore and the 96" kit with 4-5/8" stroke and 3-5/8" pistons, I'm guessing the 93" would be stock stroke and 3-5/8 pistons.
  9. rkortan

rkortan New Member

I think I will look around the Carson City area and try to find someone to repair the head I have removed. If I am not satisfied with the answers I get tomorrow then I will consider pulling the other head and having both of them ported. I just can't imagine spending the summer without a motorcycle. If this was wintertime I'd do the whole top end.
    If anyone knows of a good machine shop in my area I'd appreciate a recommendation....Thx Bob
  10. chucktx

oops.....thought ya had a twincam......my bad
  11. rkortan

rkortan New Member

I just took the head to a local indy shop who is going to repair it. If it comes out ok I'll hopefully be back on the road in a week.....Bob
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If he does head cleanup and porting I'd consider getting the heads a stage 1 street port, something to help flow, maybe a bigger set of valves, if he's got a good rep then take him both heads and the intake to be matched..

A mild street cam in an evo like the 27 from Andrews, some head work and a bit of tuning and the engine will wake right up.

With 50 K have him check the heads out while it's off..
  13. rkortan

rkortan New Member

I got a call this afternoon and was told they couldn't get the studs out at the shop. They even tried welding a nut on and still had no success. The head is now at a machine shop.
    If this head can't be saved I'll be getting some new ones. Any suggestions on how to spend my wifes money?
  14. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

As fast as you can.
  15. rkortan

rkortan New Member

The planets are in correct alignment now. I have my bike running great again thanks to John at High Country Biker in Gardnerville, Nevada. He repaired the head and readjusted the pushrods for me after I installed the head and couldn't make it run. I didn't realize I had to adjust the pushrods every time the head is removed.
    A run to Sturgis just might be what I need now.