1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

need jug/flow tech help..

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Aug 31, 2005.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

ok..I was dead set on taking the stock heads off(1450/carb o2wide glide)
    and porting and polishing them. After all more flow means more go...
    done alot working on and helping my Dad in his machine shop. We have a local fella here that has 30 yrs of HD shop and training.He went to the last tech/shop class offered by HD more years ago.(very good reputation) It's all he works on.
    When I spoke to him he said before I go that far I may want to switch to a S&S carb first. (already have slip on and air cleaner/ crank vents on the bike).
    He said the head these days flow much better than the oldies and alot would be Carb related than I probably know. He has said we'll do it for ya but by riding I would barely notice the port/polish work versus the S&s by simply seat of the pants. Ok then....all I wanna do is what every engine should do HP/cubic inch. or as close as possible..again I will not into spend a gazzillion dollars on a 100cc (1550) just to get into the HP level this engine should produce. He did mention something about going 11:1 on the pistons no need to mess with heads said they run great and stay trip dependabe that way. any one have this set up. 1690 and 1550 kits are simply out of the question and IMHO not worth it. just wanna get this air flow process uh flowing like all the race cars we have built and drag. Gotta get it right on two cyclinders for sure and $3,000-$4,000 dollars more vs a simple port and polish and or S&S. I guess overall how can another CARB make it better flow when the hang up is the heads... or have the tolerances improved that much. I can see the difference in the head and exhuast pipe and the head vs the air intake.
    the CV should be able to hold up its end of the flow...any input? Not doubting the fella just looking for other fact or experienced knowledgeable setups without paying so much for 7 more cubic inches.
  2. CD

CD Guest

Way complex subject for me to get into right now voodo. We are heading out for the Bike Talk ride and this will take some time to get typed up. Suffice it to say that it really is one of those "depends on how you slice it" pie things.
  3. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks

I'll be watching for your opinion..is the big difference in the air flow speed of a mikuni and s&S much different? Heard they were.. I know the difference between the butterfly and centered jet vs the mikuni flat slide and jet position vs flow of air but like ya said all in how the pie is sliced..best setup an all..things gottaa work together.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

ok CD..

anytime now to type it out? Much appreciated.
  5. CD

CD Guest

I would question the rationale of changing to a S&S Super E in lieu of the CV or Mikuni. The CV often gets a bad rap because someone just does not like them etc and the Mikuni because it is imported.

To my thinking, any of the above carburetors will fine. Some will much better throttle response and some give more top end power. It really boils down to the pot of stew you are cooking.

I have often said (preached?) that what you do should have an end plan or goal so all of the components match and expensive pieces are left on a shelf.
    I agree that the heads flow better but, here is the quandary with using a Super E is getting good MPG. It takes a lot of tweaking to get it even close to a Mikuni and more to a well setup CV. There is a company celled Dakota Kt that modifies CV's to be top notch performers and get good mileage.

Throttle response is another concern especially with high overlap cams that are very low in idle vacuum. Whack the throttle of a well tuneed Super E and she can still spit back at ya really fast. Whack it with a CV and if properly setup, it just responds. The Mikuni is much like this because of the slide. Opening the butterfly of the Super E is much faster then raising the slide allowing fora smoother transition.

We depend on air / velocity to make the engine run. At idle and low RPM the cam and carb must work together or it will fall on it's face. When I used a Super E, I found that I rolled the throttle on without thinking about it preventing a bog. With a CV or a Mikuni you usually do not have to worry about it.

88"? 95"? it depends on how you look at it. I run a 95" with flat tops (9.5) TW37G STOCK heads with Rinehart's and pull 100 ft lb torque. I got between 40-50 MPG on the Bike Talk ride. I am down on HP because the heads are stock. If I had them cleaned up some I could get very close to 100 / 100. That's on a RK so if you put that on a FXDWG with the very wide torque curve you should have a bike capable of trips and having around town fun. And, it is easy on the valve train. The CV will if you set it up properly but, the Mikuni will be close right out of the box.

There is absolutely no need to buy new cylinders it has been well established that there is plenty of meet to go 95" with a simple bore job.

I would do it this way on a carbed 88A.
    95" using flat tops and stock barrells.
    TW37 cam, new tensioners
    Adjustable pushrods
    Port and polish or even just smooth and clean up the heads some.
    Adjustle Crane or Dyna ignition.
    Exhaust that is a proven performer

A bad exhaust like straight drag pipes can totally kill the whole project so choose a good pipe.

You can pull this off for pretty good money IMHO.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

1 Hp per cubic inch is possible, maybe even more, but not with a bolt on carb or some pipes.

Stage 1 Filter, pipes and tuning the stock cv40 is fine, I doubt seriously if you'll see the $300 in S&S carb difference between a stage 1 cv 40 that's properly tuned and a Super E, more than likely your fuel mileage will drop with the E.

Stage 2 cams mild you'll still be under the 1/1 ratio with SE 203 or or tw26A cams.

Stage 2 big bore is 95 inch cams pipes filter and tuning, now you're at the edge of the cv40's ability to make the power the motor is capable of.

Stage 3 intake, heads, cams, pipes, big bore, high comp motor - you'll need that E (They will try and sell you a G with a thunderjet but I've done it and it's not worth it, you may get 1 to 2 hp but you will lose some bottom end throttle response, the throttle response is better to have than 2 hp at 5500 rpm)

If you have a very tight budget, go stage 1 for now it is the building block of all future stages, pop in a one size smaller needle, go up one on the pilot and adjust the pilot screw, that's about it. Best bang for the money and the Ness Big sucker kit is much better than the new HD SE kit because the ness comes with a reuseable filter HD no longer does.

For a big bore I'd go flat top pistons, have the heads worked over by a reputable shop that knows twin cam motors, for $400 you can get a basic street port job a set of andrews tw37B cams or similar grind good exhaust system (thunderheader, pro pipe or good slip ons) and you can get close to the magic 95 HP number.

But concentrate on the bottom end TQ number and getting as much TQ as possible under the curve as quickly as you can, HP is for dynos and bench racing, TQ wins on the street because you can feel it.

2500 to 5500 is the rpm range to build for if you want to feel it in your gut not just your wallet.

I have the name of a couple of good head machine shops for you provided it won't break CD's other vendor rule,

Buy the parts over time and build up the things you need then do the work yourself unless you can't. Only some special tools needed for cams, bearings , pistons etc.

The stage 1 anyone can do that can change a bulb.
  7. hotroadking

LOL CD I should have called you we could have saved posting time LOL

CD's right on IMHO, a cv carb may not feel as quick as a Mik or make top HP like a big S&S but it's a great carb for the street,

Bob Wood makes them fly, a woods 40.5 rebel will whip the snot out of any Mik or S&S on the hp and tq curves, and get better mileage but its big $$$

So go stock CV or bump to a 44 with big bore intake when you get the heads done.

Have fun
  8. CD

CD Guest

HRK,

No problem on the machine shop info, post away. My only beef is members posting to competitors sites.

As usual you have written an excellent post. I have a question for you. You did not mention any HSR's at all. We have had good luck with the HSR42 and 45 on some potent EVO's and TC engines.

I can see and agree with the reasoning about the E when doing a power build but, when drivability, durability, MPG come into play would would you do?

Just out of curiosity, can you go over the way you would build a 95" torque engine with a wide curve? On a budget of course:D. I have managed to get to the 100ft lb mark with stock heads but I know flowing them will not get me all the way to 100hp without a lumpy cam so I will be more than happy with all that torque.
    The goal we have is to get good power and mileage without killing the valve train. Let's use the FXDWG here as a reference.

I am interested to see how close we compare in thoughts
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hrk, and cd.......i to am interested in this topic.......cant wait to read more. thanks
    chuck
  10. hotroadking

I had the HSR45 on my 95 motor, it was a great carb, it performed very well however power wise it was below the Super E and Super G's I had on the bike in mileage and HP.

It was tuned and still wasn't any better than the others except in throttle response, it sure felt like the bike was quicker, never had it on a track or "tested" but seat of the pants the Miks are great carbs, where I had to crank up the motor to get the S&S's really rolling the mik just pulled right off the line.

I think when you get down to it all will do the job pretty well, S&S may make the numbers but it's hard to ride a dyno all day. CV's just seem to work better on the street for me. And on a TC bigger isn't always better, but at some point the cv40's out of it's league, to get 100/100 motor that's probably on the edge of the stock 40.

If I had to choose a carb for a daily rider 95 inch I'd probably go CV44 or a woods 40.5, I put the woods 40.5 on the same bike the Mik was on, no difference no tuning and picked up HP and tq over the MIk and S&S.

It was a year ago and I didn't keep the chart but the TQ curve went from peaky to a very very smooth wider band cuve. The 40.5 fell off on High HP we figure it was the smaller Hypercharger filter (didn't have a woods big ol filter on it) but the woods cv spanked them all and gave better mileage.

BTW had the opportunity to run a 505 on my 116, didn't dyno it but the bike seemed to have more power and pul harder than the cv51 stock out of the box. It also sucked gas, and it was tuned wrong but I wasn't going to spend a ton tuning a loaner carb, I may go that route this winter have have Bobby Woods do the 505.

OK broad torque curve, There are a lot of ways I"ve seen people do this, I know several 100/100 baggers running around, flat tops, tw37B's and custom ported heads, either the SBC specials or A shop in Michigan Bishops Performance, Hammer does good work (I know of one 95 inch making 117 HP) I'll snag the dyno chart. The final step is a really really good tuner and a good exhaust, for torque JMO thunderheader or e-series (too bad about that one). It might be possible but I think it would be hard work to coax over 1/1 hp/cui without some head work and some compression.

Seems to me if you can get over 100 foot pounds of tq earlier and hold it until 5K to 55K then youve got a heck of a daily street motor.

Exhaust can make or break the deal too
  11. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks for all

the tech info..the stage one air cleaner I always do..funny how a few years back you could simply carve out the hole on the back of the Air cleaners now ya gotta buy that sucker stuff..LOL....oh well I have always been under the impression/thought and use the CV works good for me the S and S..well kinda touchy to me...the mikuni I've never owned.. I just change the jets on the CV (part of the fun) adjust the air/mix and wah-lah(okay and the needle..) Actually the carb I got on the 02 is a CV last used the 98 sporty(thunderjet not in use :D ) I get great mileage... I always enjoy the torque and the driveability for trips. I'll take torque tree pulling power anytime. Looking forward to this project this winter..the machine work/flow is no problem. just looking for the right setup not into chasing it with money down a slippery slope.THANK YOU AGAIN for the info always appreciated!!! I'll be looking through the CD catalog for the goodies needed.
  12. hotroadking

You can still carve it out, but why, when for under $100 you get the backing plate, filter etc. Heck a good K&N filter is $50 to $75 anyway might as well get the kit. The new SE kit comes with replaceable not cleanable filters so I'd take my money to Ness.