1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 29, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have been fretting over what I should do with my scooter for when it comes time to convert it to a hardtail. In this case, I am undecided if I should powder coat the whole engine, or if I should get it all polished to a high mirror finish and chrome everything? If I were to polish it, I would most likely have the jugs and heads accented in black (inside the fins). Opinions? But if I were to powder coat it, I would like to stagger the color scheme using black and orange.

Here is an example. Rocker box=Orange Heads/Jugs=Black Case=Orange and so on.

If you have different suggestions, I would love to hear them. I don't mind crazy ideas either so let them fly.

Thanks.
  2. JohnnyBiker

Here is a picture of my bike for a better visual.

Attached Files:

• 187.jpg
      187.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Squidley

Squidley New Member

I'm just a noob here, but FWIW, how much time do you want to invest cleaning it? If it's a fair weather riding machine I would say chrome might not be bad. If your gonna use it often and in different weather, powder coating would be a lot easier to maintain. The differentiating color scheme would be pretty cool looking....just my 0.02
  4. JohnnyBiker

What is FWIW? Last season was my first season on a scoot and I rode only in nice weather. This year, I have been riding when it has been 35* out because we are having some weird weather up here and can't wait for it to get really nice out in order to ride. So I guess the answer to your question is "whenever", but when I do the conversion I guess it will be more of a show bike.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum. We like to give each other a lot of crap around here. We are fairly close knit. :D
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

For What It's Worth fwiw

It needs a rear fender ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Fender - saddle bags,tour pak,fairing/radio,comfy seat/backrest and as always more cubic inches - then you'll have a big boy bike!! :roflmao::roflmao:

Get the motor diamond cut and maybe some engraving if you know someone.
    I would keep the sportster as a daily driver and build yourself a chopper hardtail your already 95% there with what your talkin about doin to the sporty!
  7. JohnnyBiker

Not sure what you mean by "I am already 95% there?" I want to convert this to a hardtail. Are you saying leave this as is then start completely from scratch??
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That or get a chopper frame move engine build custom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts to:rolleyes:
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the more "stuff" you coat the engine with....jugs and heads included, the more heat it will hold. harder to disipate. first decide if it is gonna be a trailer queen or a rider.
  11. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Yup buy frame,motor,tranny etc swap meets craigs list and so on. It's only a little more than what you are thinkin with your sporty!
  12. JohnnyBiker

This has always been in the back of my mind. I think this is an excellent point. Thanks Chucktx.
  13. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

My suggestion is buy the bike in the picture below and sell the skirtster.

Attached Files:

14. JohnnyBiker

OK, Here is another question. I like Twisted Choppers so far as the place to buy a rolling chassis as of now. I have looked into the paughco's but I just think that I get more for my money through twisted. So that being said, does anyone else know of a good and reputable place to buy rolling chassis? Also which is the most popular choice for engine and the most practical, a shovel head or twin cam? I browsed the good ol' ebay last night and found some good deals on both of them.
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

This is what you need JB

Attached Files:

16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

don't know anything about twisted choppers & paughco been around a long time , But if your going to build a bike better have all the books for anything you use to build it with , also check in to your state laws on this as they changed from state to state , frame & engine will need a MIO i think there called it a paper saying the company sold that part to you for a builders title
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Here ya need a bill of sale for all major parts used with serial numbers if there is one, then when it is completed ya have to have it inspected by the state and the state will issue you a vin number. Sometimes is a pain, but all the guys I know that have built there own eventually have gotten titles.
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Johnny, I've been told it's a bad idea to powder coat the cylinders, and this from a powdercoater himself! High temp. engine paint works just fine, or just sandblast them if you like the raw metal look. The cylinders have to be able to "breathe". Powdercoating the jugs makes them run hotter.
  19. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I think you'd be better off buying Tommyc's bike and make changes as desired. I made the big, BIG mistake of starting out with a rolling chassis and I've got $11,000 in my build and it still isn't running! Start out with a DONOR BIKE like Tommy's. You'll be glad you did.
  20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup, a good doner bike is a great way to go............less money and time invested overall. i know nothing about twisted choppers. i have used many paucho parts with great success................including frames.