1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need some opinions

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by seabee, Jul 31, 2013.

1. seabee

seabee Active Member

Here's question: 1999, twin cam, in an Ultra, with 51000 miles, two years ago with 4700 miles, had a new oil pump, cams(stock), chain tensioners, adj. push rods, lifters and a 95 cui kit installed. This was done prior to me buying the bike. I understand all the parts except the push rods were stock Harley parts. Yesterday while coming up my lane the engine commenced making a clattering sound coming from the right side of the engine, near the rear tappet area. Sounds like a broken chain tensioner.
    What is the best repair? New hyd. tensioners and the other necessary stuff or go gear drive?
    I had wanted a dependable ride with all the bells and whistles. As of right now my 81 shovel has done a whole lot better.
    What do you'll think?:rant:
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

If it is a broken chain tensioner (must be confirmed), the choice between the new hydraulic and the gear drive is really up to you. My experience was the gear drive was less to worry about (if installed right, then you pretty much can forget about it). The new hydraulic is quieter and was cheaper than the gear drive.

Note: in my case the gear drive I had installed was apparently installed with insufficient lash or "play", to the point that my pistons progressively became scored over time, finally requiring their replacement. Instead of properly reinstalling the gear drive, I angrily scrapped 'em and went with the new hydraulics. In retrospect, I'd have been wiser to save the cost and put the gear drive in right.

And finally, be absolutely sure your noise isn't just a loose exhaust, a loose compensator nut, or some other simple thing.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a broken chain tensioner.
    If the chain broke your oil light will be on as it also runs the oil pump along with both cams , either way a pocket full of money will fix it ,& a shop who know all there is to know about a twin cam , I unloaded my 03 E Glide & went to a EVO lest hassle , not as fast , but like your shovel easier to fix at home , just my 2 cts ,I have seen the TC go over 100 k miles but it cost them :eek:
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully they changed out the original cam bearings, there were some
    problems with the early style cam bearing and one would take a dive, not good

If the cams were installed, pump etc then the bearings should have been
    upgraded.

Cam chain tensioners don't last forever, some 20K some 50K it's
    got no rhyme or reason as to why.

You'll have to drop the exhaust and pull the floorboard, then pop off the cover
    best to do this while the bike is leaning on the side stand to reduce oil
    fall out, or put a pan down, some paper towels over and around the frame
    if you have it straight up.

That way you can inspect and look for the broken part.

I would just go back to the stock tensioners and polish the outside edges of the
    chains, be sure to mark them so they go back on in the same direction they came
    off...
  5. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Yup...Had a 99 FXDWG...They had problems with one of the bearings...Don't remember if it was the front or rear...I went with the gear driven bearings and no more worries...But like Red Rider mentioned check your lash or you will eventually have a problem...
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I am fan of gear drives as I think that there is added benefit of more accurate timing as well. I bought my Road Glide with gear drives already installed, however if you decide to go with the gear drives, crank run out can be no more than .003" and if it is out of spec for gear drives, then splitting the cases is a must. ( I guess I am not a fan of more maintenance then there already is).:D
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

had gear drives they are good, but like JB said you have to check the crank runout
    the early tc engines were not bad, it's the later ones that have more runout than most gear drives will allow, then you get into under and over sized pinon gears.

It'd be better to upgrade to the newer chains and cam plate with conversion cams but that's not cheap either.

IMHO unless it's a hot rod, then just open it up, find the problem fix it and replace with
    correct HD parts.
  8. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

All this talk of chain tensioner/bearing/internal engine failure is what made me decide to go Sportster for my intro to Harley. Seems like less troubles with the Evo over the TC from what people say. When my wallet is ready for my next project, I think I'll stick with Harley, but I'm likely going to search for a cared for, gently used, early to mid 90's E- Glide. JMO.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Seems like less troubles with the Evo over the TC from what people say. When my wallet is ready for my next project, I think I'll stick with Harley, but I'm likely going to search for a cared for, gently used, early to mid 90's E- Glide. JMO.
    that's what I did , except I bought a 94 soft tail , darn legs wont take a Eglide anymore , that's why when me 03 TC went south again ,I just sold it , Now I know for sure theres a lot of good running TC out there that run a lot of miles with just miner troubles , like any other Harley