1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ness big sucker

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tim, May 6, 2007.

1. tim

tim New Member

I installed a Ness stage 1 Big sucker as part of the stage 1 set up for my 06 sporty. I bought this particular A/C with the hopes of eliminating the oil from the breathers into the air cleaner, unfortunately when i run the bike hard, i still get the excess oil into the filter. This kit does use the restricted breather bolts. Anybody else have this problem with this A/C and any suggestions on how to finally eliminate the oil into the air cleaner.
    Tim
  2. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

Don't run your oil to the full mark on the dipstick. If you keep it at the midpoint of the marked area you will see an improvement in the oil carryover.
  3. tim

tim New Member

Thanks VYBR8ER , i will give it a try.
    Tim
  4. Cracker

Cracker New Member

I finally got tired of the grab build up on the intake & not to mention what was building up in the intake valves & top of the pistons. My SE A/C has rubber grommets that are fitted into the A/C backing plate that route that sh*t right into the throat of my carb, well not any more. Mine are now routed to the ground. Took about 7 bucks a couple of 1/4" plastic tubing fittings & 2 feet of vacuum hose. Not real elegant but not real noticeable & it gets her done...! Now the motor can breathe:devil: .

Cracker
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Only trouble with routing the tubes down/out is you an end up with a gradual puddle of oil on the garage floor. A variation of this is to place a breather filter in between the 2 tubes. It looks like a fuel filter without the outer shell, and they sell them through most of the online resellers. There are other ways including the old soup can trick (just as it sounds, a can used to catch drippings).
  6. tim

tim New Member

Well, made sure the oil was mid point on the dipstick, still pukes oil when you run it hard. After doing some research i think the Big Sucker is gonna go in favor of a Kuryakyn Hifive cleaner and breather . Their breather is installed in between the filter and carb and the opening is at the bottom of the assembly. Looks like if excess oil is sucked in it should not get into the aircleaner.And if that breather still is a problem the tech at Kuryakyn said that cleaner will work with their Bluegrass breather kit.Oh and by the way Ken, finished installing the stage one carb kit what a difference!
    Tim
  7. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have the SE breather on my 02 Heritage and don't have a problem with it puking oil. No build up on the intake or slide in the carb throat. I do keep the oil level just below the full mark. The other thing I did was get rid of the cheap bakelite breather baffles HD put in the rocker box. I replaced them with the upgraded aluminum breathers. Also, once the filters in the breather baffles get saturated, you will get more oil in the breather at the carb. Changed my filters at 20K.
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Tim, I don't know too much about sportys but I think your EVO heads are the same as my EVO heads on my 98 RK. Here is what I've done to my EVO and nothing really stops the oil in the aircleaner when you run hard.

I installed the "Cure" from CD here and that helped, but only a little. When I had the bike rebuild they put in the S$S steel breather in the nose cone. That didn't completely solve the problem either. So I am resigned to cleaning out the air cleaner cover every morning after a hard run. I wait till the morning so the oil seeps thru the air cleaner so I don't have to take that off too.

Kenfuzer, I have a question about those fancy chromed breathers you talked about. I assume they catch the oil and that you still have to clean them out once in a while? How often, on average, do they need to be cleaned out. I'm thinking this may be the way I should go.

Tom