1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Battery

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by EPS, Jan 9, 2006.

1. EPS

EPS New Member

Does anyone have recommendations on when to replace the battery?? I ride an 03 Road King and have removed the battery to do some work on my bike. My guess is its about 2.5 years old.

Any suggestions on where to (or not to) shop for bike batteries?
    Thanks Ed
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you can do a load test on the battery to see how strong it is, and also check its specific gravity. a load tester and hydrometer are needed to do these tests. also if it is a new sealed battery, you wont be able to check with a hydrometer. the battery also needs to be at a full charge. if you were experiencing battery problems.......hard to turn over, weak lights, ect. you may want to change the battery. most modern batteries with proper care can give up to 5 years of service, tho that is not the norm, as most people dont think about batteries until they dont work! :) what i hear from a lot of people is that after 2 to 3 years they change their battery. to help extend battery life, keep it clean, clean the connections.....at the battery and at the starter and frame ground. hope this helps a bit....
    chuck
  3. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

I have owned 4 different Harley's and have never changed out a battery. I rode a 1998 Fatboy (with 32,000 miles) and the battery was the original when I sold it in 2004. I live in an area that gets alot of cold and snow, where riding is limited to the spring and summer months. The key to getting the most out of a battery is to put a trickle charger on the battery when you don't plan on driving it for more than about 3 weeks. Ride Safe, David.
  4. Tnicean

Tnicean New Member

I had to replace the battery in my 2002 Heritage after two years, but I did not keep it charged during the winter months. It started to crank a little slow so I replaced it rather than take a chance on the bike not starting. I now use a battery tender. Well worth the $40 bucks or so I spent for it. I have the leads on the battery so I don't have to remove the seat when I get back from riding to hook it up. I don't know how long my current battery will last, it has two years on it now. Good luck.
    Tnicean
  5. scooter

scooter New Member

Good idea about the trickle charger...any recommendations on a good maker for one?

I think I won't have to worry too much about ALOT of down time due to weather, my main killer of ride time is work!

scoot
  6. stevenh

stevenh New Member

I was on my way to the Harley Dealer to pick up 2 battery tenders. I had to stop at Wal-Mart on the way. I found some black and decker ones there. They are cool cuz they have 1 and 2 amp settings. I think I paid almost 18 bucks for them. Half what I would of paid at the dealer.
  7. CD

CD Guest

But do they float the charge current just below gassing? A battery tender is not a charger per se rather it is designed to maintain a battery in it's fully charged state. Sounds funky but it is true. Make sure that the ones you bought will float to prevent over charging and out gassing.
    http://www.batterytender.com/
  8. Seahag

Seahag New Member

A lot of people don't realize this, and I didn't until it happened to a good friend of mine....

Fuel injected bikes have a constant draw on the battery due to system checks on the computer. Therefore, if you are not riding it to charge you will bleed your battery down much faster than a comparable carb equipped bike.

My bike is now about 5 years old and starts great yet...even at 10.5 compression. I ride very regular from April through November which keeps the battery full; and for the winter she stays on a trickle charger.
  9. stevenh

stevenh New Member

thanks for the advice CD... I'll find the box they came in. I know they click on and off occasionally which led me to think they are charging as needed because it happens at random.