1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New bike for me

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Blackmouth, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Blackmouth

Blackmouth New Member

Traded in my Road King for an '08 Softail Custom.

I was a little worried about going from the comfort I'd gotten used to on the RK to a Softail but there's been no such problem.

I put a brawler solo seat on it for now and even with that comfy stock seat removed, I'm loving the ride. I got the bike last Fri and haven't stopped smiling since...
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

congrats on the new ride :cool:
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Great! I have an '01 Softail I bought new. I've been tempted to go for a touring bike a few times, but I'm afraid I'll miss the ride I get with my Softail. I have a Mustang solo seat with a removeable backrest and National Cycle locking hard bags (painted to match the bike), and I can go as far and be as comfortable as anyone. The thing that I like about it is that I can lean a lot more in the corners before scraping anything than most bikes with foot boards.
  4. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

The first couple of times I scraped my floorboards, it kinda freaked me out. Now it don't at all. Don't mind scraping amd besides, I need new ones, so I'll keep scraping the ones I have till I get new ones so I can get it out of my system. Happy New Year to yall!!!:)
  5. grandpa tom

grandpa tom New Member

Softail

When I got mine I did'nt even look at touring. Just always wanted a Heritage and that was it.
    Talked to several owners of both and have been told that there is not much difference. Makes me feel better knowing that. But never rode one to really tell.
    The new 09's are supposed to be better but havent talked to anyone yet...
  6. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I've got a little over 300 miles on my '09 Heritage and every ride is a new adventure - even over the same roads. All previous bikes were metrics, the last one being a Vulcan Classic 1500e. I thought it was comfortable and handled good but - well it's almost like when I need to make a turn, lean, accelerate or whatever, it's like the Heritage is saying "take it easy friend and let me do it for you". Just enjoy your new ride and be safe.
  7. grandpa tom

grandpa tom New Member

New ride

You are right on about taking it easy at first, not only to get used to new bike but need to get some miles on new tires so they dont slide.
    When I got my new Heritage April of 07 I havent rode for 11 yrs due to a broken back. Having my 1st bike at age 15 and 7 more for the next 32 yrs, it was a love that I missed. Only 2 of those 32 without one.
    My first Harley was a 1969 XLCH, that bike I really didnt miss after I sold it, but wouldnt mind having it now.. Wasnt much stock on or in it, I did run the crap out of it so you can imagine how much trouble I had when just a stock one almost needed to be torn down every year...
    When I retired I bought the Heritage without test riding and have never looked back, not knowing if I could even ride after 11 yrs. Told the wife if not, I will just sell it.
    Best thing is I havent had any problems riding except legs cramps 1st couple weeks but not with the back, thank God!.
    I also took it easy at first and rode only single for first 300-400 miles.
    Once the wife got on and we started riding I cant get her off the back seat, I think shes glued to it. She enjoys this bike more and has rode with me more than ALL the other bikes together....16K and still smiling..

Enjoy the ride and be Safe...
  8. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Grandpa Tom
    Glad to hear that things are going well especially with your back. My wife and I are looking towards retirement within the next couple of years and we also enjoy riding together. She agrees that the Heritage is much more comfortable thant any of our other bikes. Since it has limbered up somehat, I notice that it has tons more torque than the others. I noticed that when I forgot to count the down shifts and took off in 2nd gear. I'm wanting to do a Stage 1 after a few more miles.
  9. grandpa tom

grandpa tom New Member

DMassy;
    thanks and hope you and your wife have a great time, ridding.
    Retirement is great and I dont miss that 5:30 alarm at all. time seems to really fly now althrough.