1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New bike search still going

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by freerider8, Mar 3, 2008.

1. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

Thanks to all those who replied and gave lots of great advice.
    Just to update those who asked about it, my size is about 5'10" and 175 lbs. so I definitely need a bike good for my size but I can hold my own too.
    I currently ride a Honda Nighthawk 650 and it is just not the style I am looking for, I have had it about 5 years till I am able to find something else. the bike is in great shape, but it's an 1985 and I can find alot of parts for it and things I want to do to my bike when I find the right one will cost too much because it isn't a popular model. the one reason I was considering a Harley is because I love them for one and you can do alot to them if you have the money. I want to be able to keep my bike for awhile so I want to have something that I can invest in and not lose a ton of money doing it, if that can be done.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

besides my 06 electra gllide standard, i also have a 1965 panhead. i have owned it for about 27 years...have ridden it all over the country...changed its looks numerous times. harleys will last a long time, that cant be said for a lot of mfg's. take your time and do the homework....your bike will come along!!!:)
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

A lot of people think a Electra Glide is just a Gaukey bike that's hard to git around on and hard to handle. The Electra Glide has a 5.1" ground clearance. Until you git used to them they are a little bit of weight to deal with. Once you are used to them you do not pay it any never mind. They are just like riding any other bike. You never pay any attention to their size, you ride them like any other bike.
    They will lean in the corners as far as any other Harley will. They have saddlebags to carry stuff. And don't you always have something else you need to tote. Got a buddy that bought a 08Electra Glide just before christmas he took his Buell B8-9X or whatever it is out and replied, you don't realize how much you like a fairing till you run down the road at 70-80 mph without one and how much you really like floorboards.
    The seat of about the biggest seat on the market for riding around in comfort. And the air shocks on back make for a much nicer ride. In all reality its hard to beat a pair of 16's when you take a bike out. If you are plannin a long trip there's nothin like a removable tour pack for yer bike. But remember a tourpac is for light stuff not heavy things. You want to keep yer weight down low.
    If you look at bikes on the road you will start to notise more and more Touring bikes. There's a reason for that.
    Its nice to have a bike to race from bar to bar. But for a all around bike, sooner or later yer gonna wind up on a electra glide or something like it. All you got to do is ride one for a couple weeks and you will understand why a electra glide is so popular and wonder why it took you so long to see the light. You only gotta buy one. And you will see what being spoiled is all about.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JMO

Go to a bike event like bike week, sturgis, Myrtle beach etc, take a couple of days and test ride each variation of the HD line, ride them multiple times, HD lets you ride by yourself, except for buells and vrods they go in groups.

I would say for your height the Dyna Low Rider or one of the softail lines, Heritage Classic, Deluxe or Fatboy all have very low seat heights which will be very comfortable.

Again JMO any one of the FLH (Baggers) will feel a bit intimidating as you try and get your feet on the ground but remember they make shorter shocks and seats that are not as tall so they can be fitted to you.

If you want something you can get tons of parts to customize, then cruise long distances with windshield and bags, or take them off and cruise the bike night the Heritage Classic is a great bike and all around good performer.
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Two of the closest bikes to the ground is a Street Glide and a Deluxe if you want a bigger bike. They make a lowering kit for all of them I have a buddy that has like a 27" inseam and he rides a 08 Ultra Classic, He had it lowered and had a special seat made so he could put both feet on the ground and he
    Has a 07 Heriatage.
    I think if I had a problem with height I would rent a Street Glide
  6. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

At 5'10" you should be able to handle anything Harley builds.
    If you dont want a bagger, look at Softail Standards, or Wide Glides/Low riders, in between, Heritage Softail. JMO
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

freerider8 i'am only 5'10 & 180 i ride a 03 electra glide I put one of those factory HD low seats pillow look on it , been riden it about 4 years now good fit for me , I only 56 yrs old been riden since 1965 , so i was looken for the comfee look & ride :D
  8. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'm 5'8" and ride an Electra Glide. I put the shorter shocks on the back so I can flat foot the bike at a stop. I don't really worry about that type of stuff unless I have my wife on the back of the bike. It's just a little easier moving the bike around in the parking lot. An Electra Glide is a good all around bike..easy to ride too.