1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New blinkers wont work properly

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by edisonac, Jul 29, 2010.

1. edisonac

edisonac New Member

My buddy gave a set of front blinkers he had that he never installed. So I put tuem on my bike. The blinkers he gave me only have 2 wires the old ones have 3. So I hooked them up anyway, its on a Harley sportster so when I turn the bike on the blinkers go on for Tue running lights but when I hit the blinker the tronto blinker works but its very dim. The back blinker just lights up but doesn't blink. Is there a way to fix this problem or I just can't use these blinkers cause of the wire situation. Thanks for any advice
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

how many filaments in the bulbs??? there needs to be two. if there are two, then the wires are for power and the housing is the ground.......if there are only one filament, then it will be for running or turn signal, but not both..........
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you have three wires

one is for running
    one is for turn/stop
    one is a ground.

If the lights he gave you have two
    you don't have a dual element light
    it is a turn signal only,

Front HD signals require three...

You could wire them up as running or turn but not both...
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Unless you absolutely have to have them, I would get rid of them, cleans the look of the bike up.
  5. chucktx

folks see lights better than wavin arms..................jmo..
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep & beside most states require them anymore
  7. chucktx

the feds require them on all bikes made after a certain year....just like headllights always on..........86 i believe........
  8. quietone

quietone Active Member

I am trying to figure out front blinkers on a 86 fxr for someone. They put different ones on with only 2 wires but it has 2 bulbs also. They tapped to an orange wire in the headlight. When you try the blinker it will flash 1 time then stay lit, if I tap off the grn wire from other side of flasher the back work fine but both front flash. This is all done using the housing as ground. Might try using blue wire which runs to breaker for the light system when I get back to it. They tapped into the brn and the violet for left an right ok so that is why I'm thinking the blue cause maybe that puts flasher back in play using bikes orignal lighting layout?? Or maybe find more user friendly front blinkers..
  9. quietone

quietone Active Member

Been looking online and found the lights I have been trying to make work properly on the gentlemans fxr and low and behold they are listed as marker lights not blinkers.
  10. chucktx

there ya go!!!!!!! glad ya found the problem....