1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New cam kit

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Feb 3, 2010.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My new cam chain tensioner kit came in today so like a kid with a new toy :D I opened it & right on top There's a list of additional parts reqired , the first one listed I have new the HD site it was needed , But they did'nt say anyting about the other parts
    1 cam service kit PT # 17045-99c
    2 Drive gear retention kit PT# 25533-99A
    the other parts are for 1999 only Any one have any idea on what the two listed are? I looked on the HD site No luck :banghead:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

3. chucktx

i wonder.......if you bought the complete kit with everything from the dealer, would it be cheaper????or more???
  4. cowboy

It is A complete set from a dealer ,it just dosnt come with all the gaskets & other small parts because of the different year models it works on ,Thank's for the link , I do have the gasket set My bro-in-law bought it & when he had his bike done the mech said he did'nt need it (Hd mech did his at a dealer on the side )
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you have adjustable pushrods you will not need the whole kit for a top end and cam service which is the pn you have. That presumes you have the stock stuff in the bike
    and are fixing it back to stock, ie, solid pushrods, which would require removal of the tank, rocker box tops, rocker arm assembly, pushrods, tubes cam cover etc.

If you have adjustable time saver pushrods you just need new o-rings for the pushrod tubes (3 per tube) and a cam cover gasket.... I am presuming the o-rings for the new oil pump and plate are in the kit you bought... otherwise you'll need them too...
  6. cowboy

Nope HRK it's all stock 03 FLHTPI , so rocker covers need to came off the new gashets are in the set , it's the other PT # 25533-99A that I'am not sure of
  7. hotroadking

Are you going to change cams while you are in the cam area?
    How many miles on the bike, if you have a lot I'd change the lifters as well
    no sense having to do it twice.

If it were me I'd spring for a set of HD's new tapered time saver pushrods.

They are easy to install, and it eliminates pulling the tank and the rocker box covers and insides. When you get to the back box and see how little room you'll have and the time it takes, well, you then fall in love with adjustable pushrods.

Buy them from Jenny at Tri-County HD and get 20% off no tax, and reasonable shipping.

Cut out the old stock pushrods, put in the cam stuff and then setup the new adjustables. It's simple and saves a bunch of work...
  8. cowboy

Thank's HRK I'll have to check into all that the ol eglide has 60K on here rode hard & put up wet more then once but always kept good oil & changed around every 3k miles
  9. cowboy

Ok stoped at a dealer today & found out the the PT# 25533-99A is two bolts & a washer had to order it so next late next week it should be here at the house, now to check into some cams for crusin & saving thim pennies up :eek:
  10. cowboy

OK I have a choise of cam's in my price range all are used with very little miles the hihest milage is 7K first set is a SE 253 came out of a 06 cvo street glide seconnd set are SE 257 & thried set are SE 251 again In my price range I have no plans on buliding my engine up just changing to the new style cam chain set
    My ride is a 03 FLHTPI XCop bike with 60 k miles the Hd part # for the stock cams are 25296-99 & 25297-00 not sure what size that is I got the PT#'s from my parts book , I'am just looking for the bike to cruise like it does already
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

None of those cams will give you what you're after....you'd want something with your 88"er to have an intake close of 30-36*, the later the intake closes the higher in the rpm range they come on...there are other factors but intake closing point is a good indicator of where they start to make power. A TW21 has an intake close of 30* and the TW26 has 36* closing point.TW 21 comes on at approx 300rpm sooner than the 26. I'm going with the TW21 in my 88" cop king , was going with the crane 300-2,(33* intake close)but cant get em anymore. Check out the specs on the Andrews 21 and 26.... they'll give an indication of what you'd be looking for.
    Here's a link to HD SE cams and the specs on them and you'll see the Andrews come on more in the rpm range you do most of your ridinghttp://www.harley-davidson.com/en_XX/Media/downloads/Racing/EN_SE10_02_Engine.pdf?&bmLocale=en_CA
  12. hotroadking

Cowboy
    I agree with lucifer
    while they might be better than your stock cam you'd be better off
    to find an Andrews tw26, or the SE204 cam...

SE203's will work and you might find a set as well..
  13. chucktx

i am running the tw26......
  14. cowboy

chuck Pm sent
    thanks lufcer for the link & HRK for all the info I'll start looking for some TW6 cams
  15. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

I went with the 203's and now wish I had gone the 204's - better mid range torque. Hence better fuel economy when riding hard or 2-up, and all my research tells me the tw cams are great all around cams!! I have ext warranty still so I stuck with MOCO parts just to be safe :rant:(don't give the bastards any excuses!!)
  16. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Cowboy did you ever go to the dealer and check on those parts you was talkin about Redneck.
  17. cowboy

No not yet I keep my 7mo old grandson mon - thur so hope to get there friday redneck buddy :roflmao:
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Couldn't work it in last friday huh.:rant:
  19. cowboy

nope got tied up with some other crap for the kids :banghead:
  20. chucktx

hey cardboard............cowboy aint like us...............he has a life!!!!!!!!!!!! lol