1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Fairing Lowers

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, May 15, 2009.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I'm thinking about buying color matched fairing lowers for my street glide. I was planning on using these funds for the thundermax but decided that riding comfort is more important than a new computer at the moment. The reason is air buffeting. It is so bad that I can't use my highway pegs. The wind comes up and blast me in the face and moves my helmet around. I have tried the baffle that goes on the lower triple tree and it didn't fix anything so took it off. I have wind deflectors on the fairing, that didn't really help either. I have four different windshields and am currently waiting on a clearview 12 inch with recurve. I haven't ridden a bike with fairing lowers at all. I'm hoping this will help my problem, also for the price too. I'd like to hear about how the fairing lowers work and if they work good. I'm also going to get the vented ones. Any info will help.
  2. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have a '08 Ultra and I wouldn't ride without the lowers. When I first bought the bike I was going to add the quick detach kit to the lowers so I could take them on and off when it got hot out. But the first summer I had the bike I scrapped that idea. When it is hot I open the vents and with my feet on the hi-way pegs I am has cool as I am going to be on an ait=r cooled v twin. when it is cooler out I close the vents and ride with my d=feet on the hi-way pegs and I am comfortable. The only time I don't use the hi-way pegs is when it is below 45 deg. They do stop a lot of the wind. I demo tested a Street Glide and I was not happy with all of the wind hitting me . The stock windsheild put the wind right in my face. On my Ultra I put a short wind sheild on and the wind goes over the top of my head. The Street Glide sits a little different for me than an Ultra.
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

get you a set of soft lowers, (many a maker) rollem up and put them in your bag when not in use, and the lowers help a little with the terbulance, but a tall windsheild will do more
  4. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I do have a set of soft fairing lowers and they didn't help with buffeting at all. I just have to order the harley lowers and wait 6 to 10 weeks.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

do ya have a riding buddy that has a set you may borrow????? lowers aint cheap.
  6. steveb

steveb Active Member

Look for a set on E Bay. They may not be the right color but if you get a set cheap enough you can have them painted to match your bike. I buy and sell a lot on e bay and if you use pay pal it is pretty safe.
  7. 5558

5558 New Member

I had my fairing lowers painted with Linex bed liner. My bike is black and the sprayer put a shine on the finish. You cann't hurt the stuff and was cheaper than paint.
  8. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

I must be crazy or something cause I tried the ultra before buying my classic and didn't like the lack of wind! Even on my classic I tried 9" & 6" windshield - not windy enough and ended up with streetglide 3" wind deflector. I actually find it better for moving air up and over me then the full size which tended to rap around and buffet my chest instead. Only problem the 3" doesn't stop them cruising snacks - like bees and moths!:D
    Cold isn't an issue for me though I think 55-60 and some sun is perfect T-shirt and vest weather, 40 needs a leather and have never worn my chaps (glad I only spent $100 on them)
  9. Harleyjeff

Harleyjeff New Member

BluePearl. You are not crazy at all. I have the short visor on my '98 classic (like the one in your photo) and every once in a while, I like to scoot onto the passenger seat with my 6'1" frame to catch some more wind. Like the wind when it is mild or warm - hate the wind when it's below 40. That's when I would like lowers too in order to keep the chins and feet comfortable.
  10. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I got the fairing lowers installed today. They look really good but time will tell if they were worth the money. I was not happy to remove my fog lights but am planning on getting some new driving lights so am waiting on that. I will try to post a pic. I noticed from the cell cam that I get a fish eye look in the pic.

Attached Files: