1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New HD owner needs advice

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by mwestman, Mar 11, 2008.

1. mwestman

mwestman New Member

Mornin folks! I bought an '08 Softail Custom last month and I'm ready to get pipes, intake and a tuner, but I'm holding for some advice. I only have 500 miles on the bike, and followed careful break-in procedures. Do I need to wait before installing the performance parts, or can I do it now? I'm looking at V&H Big Radius and the V&H VO2 intake...but also looking for advice on a tuner and whether I should have it dyno'd and properly mapped by a techie. I've read the threads in PCIII over FuelPak, still undecided. So: 1. do I need more miles before modifying? 2. which tuner should I use? 3. should I have it dyno'd and mapped with the pipes and intake installed?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike
  2. mikewoodward48

mikewoodward48 New Member

I have 2006 E/G I have ran the power commander for two yrs now . With out any problem what so ever . This is the best part that I have bought for my bike .I have put on the pipes air filter the hole shot .The P/C has a remap for every part that I have put on I have not taken my bike to Harley one time for any remap Their many things you can do with this To be able to hook up my laptop to my bike in less then 1 min is great and remap the way I want is to cool .You can install your pipes any time you want I put on V/H big shot true duals S/E high flow air filter a 50mm T/B all for a little over $1000.00 dollars I now have right at 80hp on a 88ci motor with no big bore kit It dose not pop or back fire I did all this right after my 500 mile break in With the P/C I went in and richend up the rear cylinder by 3% to get it to run with front cylinder because it was running lean if you pull your plugs you will see this on your bike Well I hope this will help you out .Tell next time
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

1. Do you need more miles? IMO, no, 500 is really enough with the Twin Cam engines today. But you may as well ride a bit more anyway...just to make sure (and have fun, too).

2. Which tuner? I'll let others give ya the pros & cons on that. You might cruise the forum, too, instead of waiting. The issue of which tuner is best has been raised quite a bit here in Bike Talk.

3. Yep, dyno tune that baby after making the new installs. Go for all the changes at once for the purest tune - air cleaner, pipes, etc. You're spending a good bit of $ on these changes, so the dyno run is worth the extra cost. And you'll get that cool stat sheet so you can brag about your improvements to horses and torque!

:cheers:
  4. tbaz

tbaz New Member

depends on what you are looking for

The answer to the first question regarding when you can make the performance changes is, whenever you want to make the move go ahead.

As far as best package for your bike it depends on you.

When considering the best pipes you first need to rate your priorities using the following creteria.

1. Looks
    2. Performance
    3. Sound
    4. Budget

These elements do not always work in sync with each other. The best performance pipes are 2 into 1, but some people do not like the look.

Straight pipes give you the loudest pipes and the best full throttle position performance, but you give up mid range torque (where 70% of your daily riding takes place) without the scvenging properties of a cross over or
    2 into 1 pipes

Dyno is the best way to dial in any bike to its peak performance but if it is a daily rider and you have ranked sound and looks over performance than an aftermarket fule manager, ( I prefer the vance and hine fuel pak) that works with a closed loop system, will give you good every day riding but they do not have as fine as adjustment ranges as a programmable unit like a race tuner or power commander.

If all you want is some sound and a better loook and are not chasing performance than slip ons will achieve you goal and save a bunch of money.

So in the end if performance gains are you number one than go with a 2 into 1 pipe, programable tuner, hiigh flow air cleaner and a performance tune dyno run. This is the big buck, most gain option.

The mid range option is a full system of your choice, a O2 closed loop compatible aftermarket unit that you can program like the vance and hines fuel pak and a hgh flow ari fiilter and do not do the dyno tune.

The low cost solution for sound and looks is a slip on pipe. Iin most cases your stock ECM can handle this change with no fule manager required.

As I said in the beginning it is all based on your priorities and of course budget. Jusy my humble opinion.

Just remember with the new O2 systems are managing exhaust and adjusting the fule and air accordingly nd any system you buy should be designed to work with the O2 system on the bike.

TBAZ
  5. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Im running Cycle Shack slip ons (who make the Screamin Eagle Pipes) I got the rocket tips and i like the sound. I have read some comments that they are too loud, but certainly not for me. The best thing is to hang out where bikes come and go and when you hear a set you like go talk to the owner. I just bolted mine on and had no adverse effects. If I were to change the filter too that would be another story. I kind of lean towards the V&H fuel pak because there are no dynos or HD dealers any closer than 80 miles from me. My Indy has the fuel pak on his RK which is the same year as mine and likes it. I also dont have a lap top computer nor am I too computer savy when it comes to engine tuning. AL
  6. mwestman

mwestman New Member

Thanks everybody this has been a lot of help and all your advice is in my toolkit now. I did get an opportunity to talk to some owners... :) So now I have V&H Big Radius Pipes, Stage I air cleaner, and a PCM on order. I CAN'T WAIT!

Semper Fishing
  7. mwestman

mwestman New Member

It's done

SWEET! Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes, Screamin Eagle Stage I intake and DynoJet Power Commander III mapped for my bike by Jamie at FuelMoto. Plug and Play the whole mess. It took about two hours to install everything and the bike looks and runs awesome! Thanks for the advice, and all the other threads on Bike Talk pointing to the answers. I'm in love with the torque and the sound.

Cheers
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Glad to here all is well on the new scoot :D
  9. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

I can see the big smile on your face. And, I know that feeling ya get when you can feel the results in the seat of your pants and besides that it is eye candy. Oh Yeah. Al
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Kinda like a 2in1 myself. Got the Supertrapp supermegs on. Not too loud, but good performance.
    As far as the Tuner, if I remember right yer computer is the same as the 07 model. The best tuner that I like is the Thundermax with Auto Tune, No dyno time needed.
    So I'd look at pipes, a Thundermax and a Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage II air kit, YOu will notise a nice difference right there. The Thundermax will take care of the lean motor conditions.
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would like to suggest that you keep all your old parts in your garage, you never know what will happen down the road. you may need them and if you give them to the dealer, you will have to repurchace them.......just a thought!!!!:)
  12. mwestman

mwestman New Member

Ultra Al you hit it on the head "Eye Candy"

I walked into the garage this morning, looked at the bike and hurt my face grinning at the whole concept. Ultra Al, you're right on the money...and I didn't go to HD for the work...makes it even sweeter. Great day y'all!