1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Header

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Dec 31, 2014.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Finally got a chance to ride the bike with the new header installed. I put the one on that does not have the cat installed and I'm running V&H 4" Round mufflers. The power increase on the 110 motor is quit noticble and so is the sound. I think that cat did put to much back pressure on it. It sure does run stronger and like I said much louder.
    I think it may be right on the edge for needing a tuner but will wait and see.
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I spent a lot of money to get everything EPA off my bike.
  3. FLHTbiker

They sure run better when you get all that EPA crap off them.
  4. cardboard

The newer bikes may have more HP than the Older bikes. But they are so choked down with all the EPA stuff its terrible.
    And its terrible that you have to spend the money to get the bike to run better.
    Somebody needs to study polution from a motorcycle. And stop the goverment mandates
    There is no global warming.
    Already been proven.
    Ask the folks in Canada and up north right now. How warm they are.

You do not control mother nature.
  5. FLHTbiker

That's why we need to get ride of the EPA
  6. cardboard

HuH
  7. FLHTbiker

Sorry it's get rid of them :D
  8. cardboard

Your fearless leader has turned them looose.
    Not possible.
    You will see this year, a mandate of more smaller and larger cars and trucks with smaller motors to meet the EPA mandate Obama set forth.
  9. FLHTbiker

Maybe N Koria dude Kim will kidnap him then hold him for ransom. Then we tell them they would have to pay us to take him back. Set the ransom so high that they can't afford it, can only hope.
  10. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I put headers on my 103 with V&H big ovals. I've always been skeptical of one change making a real seat of the pants difference in any bolt on modification, but this was a definite improvement. Felt the change immediately. Adding the tuner may have helped performance, cant really feel that, but it cut down even more heat so it was needed. My brother got rid of the cat on his also, but without a tuner so far and his holds more heat than mine for sure. Money well spent.
  11. FLHTbiker

Jake I could definitely feel the difference on mine to. The increase in the exhaust sound tells me that those cats really do restrict the flow and to me that's got to cut the power with them in there.
    I'm going to hold off on the tuner for now and see how it runs as the weather gets warmer.
  12. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

At wide open its lean cruise area your probably fine but still on the lean side. Of 14.8 but o2 are trying to keep it at lamda1.any thing above 3.0 volts on the tp sensor you run in open loop that area of the map would need to be tuned down around 13.8 .have mike a latus tune it for ya .he is good .down in your neck of the woods !
  13. FLHTbiker

I agree with you on that and Mike Stegman is one of the best tuners out there. The only problem is his boss and store owner George Latus. He has got him working on his race bikes full time (Triumphs). So getting him is darn near impossible. He did get involved on my 88 to 95 build on my Springer. That's a moving maching now but it's a carbed bike which I like.
    Talked to Mike about my 110 without the cat and he said lets see how it runs for you. Road the bike over 100 miles total yesterday with the Polar Bear ride and was just a little bit of popping when shifting down, course air temps were pretty cool at 27-37 degrees.
  14. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

You can always do a powervision witch is a knock off of the tts and sert works very well for a guy that tunes at home not hard to use all the closed loop area are done with the factory o2 witch is fine and nothing wrong with that at all .my closed loop area was tuned with norrow bands and i like it my open loop was tuned with wide band on the dyno but you can purchase the wide band kit for it.it works well and no lap top to ride around with.all on the screen and its not a piggy back tunner.it flashes your pcm .you can always try a down load from the dealer also?
  15. FLHTbiker

Not sure which way I'll go on it But thanks for the info on the Powervision.