1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New indians are in calif.

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by chucktx, Dec 26, 2009.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

Attached Files:

2. chucktx

and an older one for good measure.....

Attached Files:

3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

That first one , blue, looked like a Japanese bike the rest look good & the in line 4 realy looked good , But I'll keep my HD they seem to stay around more
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My thought exactly cowboy. The first one looks like a Kaw Vulcan but bet the price tag is a whole bunch higher. Liked the looks of the second one but like ya said Cowboy my Harley also has a bit more longevity.
    Is that first bike water cooled, looks like a radiator mounted at the front.
  5. chucktx

my bad....the first one is not an indian................
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I don't really care for the "new" Indian....they don't have any character or soul.(and kinda overpriced... IMO)
    The phrase " You can't wear out an Indian Scout" wouldn't apply to today's Indians.
    1901-1953 INDIANS
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The new Indians are made in King's Mountain, North Carolina, not all that far from where I live & I hope they succeed, but with the least expensive model starting @ $26,000 & most priced well over $30,000, I'm afraid they picked the wrong market @ the wrong time.

By comparison, a few years ago I saw some new Victory Sport-Cruiser bikes on sale for $9988 & if I'd had the cash at the time, I'd have bought one. But while that Polaris/Victory dealer sold about 50 new bikes, they don't sell Victory anymore & I've only seen a few out on the road. The owners seem to like them a lot, but the point is that if you can't get a good start in the $10,000 - $15,000 price range, I don't know how you can in the $26,000 - $36,000 range.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I agree Art...I hope they make it, but with only one model with variations of it at that price range it's going to be a tough sell....if they reproduced the Scout in the $10-15,000 range I think would open the market a little more,get more bikes on the road to show how reliability and performance are in the engine and drive train then they may be able to move some of the higher priced Chiefs.
  9. quietone

quietone Active Member

Talked to some reps in Sturgis last year while looking over the Indians. They did look nice but the price was like said before started around $26,000 and went to 30,000 plus. Seemed a little steep to me at the time for what I was look'in at. They also told me that they make their own motors now also. Curious to see how it pans out.
  10. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Appears the reason the price is so high is that they do make their own engines & most everything else, rather than buy engines from somebody like S&S, frames from someone else, etc. And no doubt they're still paying for their R&D work, production facility, etc.

From having been a manufacturing engineer I know that once you learn how to mass-produce something, have paid off your R&D, production line & tooling costs, the per-unit cost of what you make comes down substantially, but only if you're selling a LOT of what you make. Doesn't do you any good to be able to make the finished product quickly & efficiently if all you're doing is filling up warehouses.

Then there's "perceived value" - a lot of things are priced higher than they need to be to make a profit because of the perception that if it costs more, the quality must be higher. It would be hard to say I can make a bike like a Heritage Softail better for the same or less money - easier to say this one's better & it costs more because it is better - whether that's true or not.

I agree with Lucifer's comment - they probably would have done better coming out with a Scout model & pricing it in the Triumph Bonneville, H-D Sportster range, then once the name was established again, gradually introduce the larger, more expensive models. Or come out with both @ the same time, giving buyers a choice. Seems to me the only way Indian can succeed in their current form is if the big bikes prove to be worth the price & that'll take years to determine.

And they've missed the market for folks like me who aren't interested in a bike that weighs almost 800 lbs. Y'know, there's a reason Sportsters are the longest continuously-produced motorcycle in the world (since 1957) & that 1000's of Sportster owners never do buy a big twin, even when price isn't an issue. :D