1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Old Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jul 7, 2005.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The wife and I went down to Albany Oregon last week and picked up a 1974 HD Sportster. The owner said the motor was rebuilt, 8 years ago but was never started. Bike was sitting outside under a covered carport and looks sad. Going to take a lot of work. First thing I have to do is strip it all the way down to the bare frame and start the slow process of rebuilding it. It will be long project probably over a few years due to time. The motor was supposedly bored out but no way of knowing how much.
    The paint is primer gray, there is a large oil leak inside our enclosed trailer after we arrived home. Basket case, well its close but all the parts are there and the price was right, cheap and was almost free.
    I might be asking lots of questions from time to time.

Hey, CD got any ideas for rebuilding an old shovel head bike.
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Marc, looks like you need to get a shop manual and /or a parts manual for the bike. There should be some old timers in the shop where you live. these guys should be able to help you out somewhat. i'm sure the parts are out there but they're not going to be easy to find