1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Oregon Motorcycle Law takes effect Jan. 1 2011

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 3, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Testing and Mandatory Rider Education Requirements

Until January 1, 2011, anyone under 21 years of age applying for a motorcycle endorsement is required to take the TEAM OREGON Basic Rider Training course. There are no exceptions.

Effective January 1, 2011, a new law phases in mandatory rider education based on your age. If you apply for a motorcycle endorsement and you do not have a valid motorcycle endorsement from another state, you must complete an approved motorcycle rider education course. This requirement is effective based on the timeframes listed below:

If you apply for an original motorcycle endorsement on or after: You must successfully complete a rider education course if you are:
    January 1, 2011 Under 31
    January 1, 2012 Under 41
    January 1, 2013 Under 51
    January 1, 2014 Under 61
    January 1, 2015 Any age

A TEAM OREGON Basic Rider Training (BRT) course completion card, dated within the last 2 years, waives both the motorcycle knowledge test and the on-cycle skills test.

A TEAM OREGON Intermediate Rider Training (IRT) course completion card, dated within the last 2 years, waives only the on-cycle skills test. You must take the motorcycle knowledge test at DMV.

If you are not required to take a rider education course you may take the motorcycle knowledge and skills tests at DMV. There are no fees for the tests. You can still choose to take an approved rider education course for waiver of DMV test(s) as noted above.

If you have a motorcycle-endorsed license from another state, you must take the motorcycle knowledge test to get a motorcycle endorsement on your Oregon license.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sound's like there trying to save lives , new rider's & some that haven't riden in a few years who think they can just start where they left off
  3. FLHTbiker

Did you notice that the training is only to be done by Team Oregon and not MSF. Oregon no longer recognizes MSF. Plus its just another way for Oregon to put their control finger into motorcyclist and make more Oregon riders put out the bucks to Oregon to keep their program alive. Their training program is a joke and does not center itself on safety. Our dealer won't recognize or use Team Oregon. We used to have Riders Edge through the dealer and was a far better program that that of Team Oregon, however Team Oregon has the power of the state behind them and kicked the entire MSF program out of the state including Riders Edge. I was going to do the Riders Edge program and had started but it was cut off by these jerks at Team Oregon. :rant:
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Voters have the people in office there.
    Voters in Oregon need to git their butts out, file a petition and let the senators and everybody know they don't like the bull they are pulling.

If you don't they will not stop.
    That's what we had to do with Redlight cameras.:rant:

Its all about money and who wants it.
  5. FLHTbiker

The voters in a few key counties are all Democrat and they control the state because those key counties have more population in them. If I could I would move to either Idaho or Reno, however the wife won't budge.
  6. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Reckon she'd come to Tennessee?:D

We're going to have a Safety course through the Chapter later this month. Originally for the officers but we opened it up to the entire membership with a limit of 40 - first come first serve. Then later this year we're having another Riders Edge Course and I'm thinking about taking that one too even though I've been riding for a good while. Folks have told me that no matter how long they been straddling bikes, they picked up some real good info.
  7. FLHTbiker

As long as the wifes mother is still alive she won't leave Oregon.

I went through all the training to be a MSF and Riders Edge instructor. Passed the MSF course but never got to go to the Riders Edge training. Dang Team Oregon put a stop to MSF here in Oregon completely. :cussing:

I was planning on doing some teaching when I retired for some extra income and to help other riders. Thanks Team Oregon and the Oregon ODOT. :angry:
  8. cowboy

yep them dems can be a real pain in the asz , you better tell them thay don't own the state That you own a part as well
  9. xr6004

xr6004 New Member

I've had a motorcycle since '78. While living in PA, I took a course just for grins and it was free. I think it was MSF. Moved to OR and was shocked it cost $70 to keep my MC endorsement. ODOT said it was to fund Team Oregon, and you still have to pay for the course. What a rip-off, and you can't get a 6 month insurance policy either. Oregon is a very heavily regulated state and yes the Dems in Portland control the state. Hate it for you that you can't even think of leaving until your in-law passes.

I now live in FL where it is too hot to ride in the summer.
  10. cowboy

xr6004 good for you moving , that's what I would do , if i could ,Flht I know what you mean My wife would budge when her dad was still alive ,& when he was transfered to Tx we got in on the deal as well ,That's how we ended up here :D