1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ruffrider11, Aug 4, 2007.

1. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I have decided to get some Vance and Hines Pipes for my 2000 FatBoy, but was wondering if it is better to get the Big Shots with the hidden cross-over or just straight pipes. Is preformance better with one or the other,better for bike ect. Any info or opinions are apreciated
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

looks and sound

looks and sound is really why most of us have certain pipes. we're really not the performance freaks we wish we were. From a performance point about anything is better than straight pipes. if you really want performance, and mpg's 2 into one pipes would be the way to go. keep in mind when you pull in somewhere it's not likely that anyone will compliment on your performance or mpg:D
  3. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Either way ya go, I would add the Big City Thunder baffle. You still get a great sound along with performance. You can check them out at bigcitythunder.com. Lot of people on this forum have them. I have an 02' Heritage Classic, changed from Samson Bigguns 2 Short Slashers to V&H Ture Duals. What a difference, better sound and most of all better performance. More low end torque and better gas milage.
  4. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

If you like a particular type of exhaust, I would investigate them. Online, asking owners, websites, etc. Bound to find some excellent info...:)
  5. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

Thanks

Thank you much It sounds like the cross-over power chamber should not be a concern I think I' get the bigshots standard and save a little cash or maybe the short shot staggerd Oh my so many decisions so little time What ever the choice I know it'll be Kick A$$
  6. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

A cross over design (power port) is a big plus for performance through out the rpm range.(and still gives you that cool twin pipe look!) It allows the exhaust pulses from one cyclinder to fill in the gaps between pulses from the other cylinder. This increase the exhaust velocity which increase the scavenging effect. Beside reducing inversion, you get a better cylinder fill from the incoming AF mixture, undiluted with exhaust gases, from the better scavenging effect.