1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Studs or Not

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Just wanted some opinions about changing the cylinder studs,whether it's necessary or not...
    The originals have approx 36,000 miles and the bike was not abused...I did buy new head bolts,mostly because the outside originals are pretty rusty...
    It's not a high horsepower build,Andrews TW21 SE cast 9.4:1 piston kit in a 95" with '06 heads with an .030 head gasket on the '03 Cop King...
    I don't think thread stretch would be a problem and don't want to replace perfectly good parts for the sake of replacing...
    Just wondering how many replace studs when installing a big bore kit....:)
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

When I put the 06 top end on my03 cop glide I used the same studs & bike had 61 k on it , I put andrews 26 cams
  3. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

When I did the 98 and when I built the monster deuce both had stock studs and your only torqueing the bolts to forty pounds if they are cometic gaskets any ways use light oil on the threds they will be fine .
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I reused the stock studs when I built the 05 88"er to a 95"er and it 60,000 miles on it. 12,000 miles later no problems.
  5. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Yes the stock cyl. studs are OK to re-use if you never overheated the motor badly. If the cyl. bores were not much out of round when you disassembled (they're always out a little), then it's safe to re-use them.

Incidently, German Motorad Magazine did a long term durability test (100,000 kilometers) on several air-cooled and water-cooled motorcycles a year or so back. Since it was a German mag, do you think a BMW came out on top? Wrong. The R1200 came in 3rd behind a Honda VFR1300. A Honda 1500 Goldwing finished 4th, and the BMW K1200 finished 5th.

Guess who scored 1st in overall durability, and with minimally measured mechanical wear. You are correct! 2008 H-D FLHT by a wide margin. They said "this motor will probably last 20 years in normal service".
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Good to hear those reports. Of course they go against all I have BOOK learned. Supposed to be that the torquing affects the tensile strength of the studs and supposedly deteriorates them for re-use. I always was suspect of the "BOOK".
  7. Lucifer

Thanks fellas...that's what I thought....just wanted some confirmation...
    Yeah Fatboy,the book always says use new everything:rolleyes:Most times it's not really necessary...
  8. cowboy

also my bro in law had his 00 dyna redone 95in SE 203 cams ,by a friend of his who is a cert Harley mech , did it on the side & stock studs
  9. Lucifer

When I did the Heritage over I replaced the studs...the stock studs in 1990 were shoulder less on the bottom and you had to set the stud height...Harley had come out with an "upgraded"set that are like the stock ones now with shoulders so you didn't have to measure and set the height...
  10. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

only way ide replace them is if they were the early ones (and their basicly OK),but on a later EVO or TC,their installed with a "interferance" thread,so your actully doing harm to the treads in the case everytime their removed.we`ve built 11.0-1+ motors with stock studs with no problems
  11. Lucifer

That's good to know...thanks for the info...
    On the "early one's" do you mean early Evo's like my '90 that you had to set the height on and the interference one's have the shoulder on them??
  12. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

No. Interferance threads have a slight barb on them that causes the thread to bite into the aluminum to prevent backing out. Shouldered studs were phased in gradually over time in mid-Evo's, so you may or may not have them.
  13. Lucifer

My Evo didn't have them at first...I did change studs when that one was done over around '97 or '98 ...
    This is the '03 King I was asking about,so the Twinkies have interference threads..yes??
    With the info I got here,the only way Ill replace the stud on the king is if it comes out with the head bolt

Gonna start on it tomorrow...I'll post some pics in the Project Section...as things progress...;)
  14. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

yes they do,its not really a barb as much a rolled thread,basicly dont mess with them unless you have to
  15. cowboy

So my 94 evo should have the good studs ?
  16. Lucifer

cowboy,did you get a Parts Catalog yet...stock studs on my'90 Evo are 16837-85A,they aren't the interference thread...
    My bud did a top end rebuild on a '94 Dyna last spring and he replaced the studs because a few of them came out with the head bolts,probably still laying around there,I'll check them out tonight... when I go up...
  17. cowboy

Yes I bought the one off eBay , the link you sent me , I have all the parts for my 03 cop glide on order , then the 94 getting top end work , base gaskets started to leak
  18. Torkman

Torkman New Member

I'm in the middle of top end rebuild on 91 flhtc. I had a few cylinder stock cylinder studs come out during removal. Originally I was planning replacing the studs with a new set, so pulled them all, but with build expenses etc... I'm wanting to reuse the original ones. These are the ones with shoulder pointing up. My question is, what should the height be on these?
  19. Lucifer

Installed height should be 5.670-5.770" above the base gasket surface....
    IMO you'd be better off getting the new type stud that installs shoulder down The part number is 16837-85C for the studs used on 94-up Evos if you can still get them from HD...a set of Kibblewhite studs would only run you in the $80.00 range,but try HD first...either way it's a lot cheaper to upgrade the studs now than to try to repair one that pulled out..

Here's a link and price for Delkron's Studs

http://www.delkron-mfg.com/products/products.asp?pg=CmpntsStudsEvolutionTwinCamCylinderStudSet

J&P even better price....$28.99 Page 476

http://ipaperus.ipaperus.com/JPCycles/2010HarleyUpdate/2010HarleyUpdate/?Page=475
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  20. Torkman

Torkman New Member

Thanks Lucifer for info. I thought that was measurements. Seen them in manual, but it jump under the 87 to 89 years, threw me off some, so wanted to make sure.