1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by prroadking, Dec 9, 2007.

1. prroadking

prroadking New Member

just about ready for new rubber on my 2006 roadking. thinking about going with mexler opposed to the factory dunlops. any input would be greatly appreciated:) :)
    prroadking
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Make sure they are kept properly inflated... Had a bro whose front Metz cupped on him for that reason... Softer rubber, hugs the road better in all conditions, but don't last as long as Dunlops... Been running a Dunlop in the rear and a Metz 880 in the front... Dunlops will last somewhat longer because of harder rubber, that's why its on the rear and a Metz up front...:)
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  3. prroadking

prroadking New Member

tires

i was under the impression that metzler was a harder rubber and were longer lasting than dunlops. also i was told the thread design was better on the metzlers when it came to driving in rain. is it not true that you don't have to keep the same thread design for both tires?
  4. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

You should match the manufacturer and compound for tires. The Metzler is a softer compound and will wear faster. It is VERY picky when tire pressure is concerned and will cup the tread if not inflated to the proper pressure which is higher than the Dunlops. With that said, the Metzler does not tend to follow rain grooves in the road like Dunlops. The Metzler is a very good tire. Also the Avon Venoms are a good replacement tire for the Harley.
  5. prroadking

prroadking New Member

what brand would you buy if you were to replace tires.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i stay with the dunlop line....was using the 404's....running ellite 3's now....06 electra glide....33k
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I did'ne care for the dunlop's on my 03 Elecrra glide did'nt work well in the rain I have the metzler 880 & no problum with cupping or comming apart i'am on my second set with just over 52k on my bike I got about 15k out of my last rear tire ,But no matter what tire you run always check the presure every couple of week's any tire will cup when low or over inflated
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Dunlops will wear fast if over or under inflated, as will the others, I like the Avon Venoms, they are a rounder tire, dunlops are almost flat across the bottom, guess HD never figures the bikes will take curves LOL

I can tell you once you pop on a set of avons and the bike begins to turn in quicker easier, you'll never go back.

They are nice and quiet too, handle well, you can get 10K out of a rear Avon with proper inflation and a judicious throttle hand (like theres much of that going on LOL)
  9. prroadking

prroadking New Member

metzzler tires

you mentioned you have 52k on yuor bike are you geting 26k on the rear tires with metzler
    prroadking
  10. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I would assume he meant second set of Metz, after the factory Dunlops....(he mentioned getting 15K on the rear) However, I have been known to be wrong.....alot! He'll let you know though. :D
  11. cowboy

I only got about 5.5K from the dunlop the other two rear tires where metzler i just looked up my paper work I've had three rear metzler tires so about 15+k on them I've only done one good burn out on the tire I have on the back now none on the other's
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what is a "burnout?"......:rolleyes: :)
  13. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

YOU of all people shouldn't be asking that question.......:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
  14. cowboy

Burn-out = to tired to work all week in the good riding season :roflmao:
  15. TM103

TM103 Active Member

I run the Dunlop on my '06 Classic as they give me the best milage, but use the Metz on my '05 Thunder Mountain for the bite of the soft compound. I think it all boils down to personal preference.;)
  16. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

I've always run the Dunlop touring elites and had good luck with them. Lately I put a metzler on the rear of my fatboy and it handles well but the jury is still out on miliage. I will never by another Avon Venom X as I had a chunk fly off the rear tire and it was properly inflated. The guy that runs an indy shop here said that Im not the first one he has seen this happen to and he has only seen this happen on Avons. AL
  17. cowboy

I know A few who run the Avon's but it seem's they always have to air in they , non of them have every come apart on them & they have had a few set's on there bikes
  18. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Just for interest, let it be known that HD has now opened the door to Michelin tires also.... HD shops should have Dunlop or Michinin tires...not sure of cost or wear, but something to think about!
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

AFN I think they did that because Dunlop was on strike and they couldn't get enough tires, now they have two vendors.
  20. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Here's a picture of that Avon (I hope) as you can see it is not a wear problem and it was properly inflated and I didn't run over anything. Looks to me like a chunk just came unvulcanized. Maybe this could happen to any tire but in over three decades of riding this is the only time it happened to me. So I will never buy another Avon. Al

Attached Files: