1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

new to me

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by baggerpaul, Nov 10, 2014.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well boys with so many jumping on the 2015 bamd wagon there are some good buys out there . so i went to find a new bagger found a beutiful 2013 road glide . i had road a 2013 street glide and i did not like it one bit rode like shit . and i love the way it looks and i always wanted one till i road it. my 2001 bagger rode better . any ways ill get some pics in the sun light and post them not like you guys dont know what they look like . exhaust air filter and tts are on the way !
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Man, I'm going the wrong way. I'm still working on get the 12 limited dialed in but lately, at least before the snow and cold hit, I've been trying to get the 85 FXRS sorted out. When it's right I am amazed how good a 30 year old bike handles bad pavement and it has the stock suspenders front and rear 35 mm fork tubes and all. tracks very well. I know the new stuff is a lot less hassle but I really like the older bike. I'm not sure I'm ready for a shovel yet. [ Harley that is..I have loads of experience with snow shovels etc] but I think the old midsize rubbermounts are better than the newer one. P.S. Congrats on the new bike
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I rode Harleys factory demo and dealerships road glides and other guys road glides every now and then for about 3 yrs. Even rode the SE Road Glide.

Buddy down the street has a Road Glide Ultra.
    Had a fever for them. Got 2 of my friends that bought them.
    One kept it for a year and went back to an Ultra that he got off of.
    Said he just didn't like the ride of the Road Glide and didn't like the way the wind hit him in the face.
    I know you have test driven one a lot . And have rode it with the wind blowing.
  4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new RG.

Is having the dash so far out a little distracting at all?
  5. cardboard

Oh he already bought one.

I need to try to pay more attention.

Congrats on the new bike.
    It has to ride a heck of a lot better than the 2001 model
    Rides like and cadillac and so smoothe.
  6. baggerpaul

Different . not much distraction takes a little to get comfortable with it like a mile or so more the fact that the faring is not moving with the bars .but the steering feels lighter not having it attached to the bars .so the push on the bars is like riding my dyna you get more feed back on the bars.only got to ride it for a little while sat night rained all day sunday and today. But ill ride to work and back tomorrow
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  7. baggerpaul

Thanks cb .wind dont bother me i ran a 4.5 inch winshield as long as i can remember on my bat wing.and no my 2001 is alot smootheer than my 2013 especially on decel .but the ride is much smoother on the new bike .upper motor mount is mouted directly to tje frame on the front head so that vibe comes strait to the bars as you hit the front brake and let off the throttle .my 2001 was a blue printed motor so it was alot smoother .
  8. baggerpaul

I missed not having fuel injection. When i sold my duece a got the bagger the bagger was carbed so its nice to have it back nice to be able to tune both cylinders .
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the new bike. Looking forward to any comments concerning the new frame VS the old frame.
  10. cardboard

The wind seems to also come up under the fairing at the neck and blow in my face.
    Know they make a shield fir that.
    Buddy down the street changed his handlebars von his RG.
    Gave more comfort to the arms and hands.
  11. baggerpaul

You guys no if the 2013 come with auto compression releases cant see the wires for them amd you cant hear them cuz they route the blow through the exhaust port casting so not sure if they have it on this model?
  12. baggerpaul

Ill let you know what i feel .seems more nibble around turns and in the parking lot.better balance also .
  13. badinfluence63

Always been interested in the RG's especially the ultra RG. to short, to set in my ways and to old to go messing with somthing I'm not sure off. I'll always wonder if I'd like it better than the Ultra Classic.
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the new to you bike :)
  15. badinfluence63

If they would have come out with an Ultra RG low.......lol.
  16. badinfluence63

My 2012 did so I'd guess your '13 RG does too.
  17. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

That's very interesting to me Paul. I attended Laconia Bike Week a couple years ago and test road '13 Harley's at their setup at the Loudon Raceway. I jumped on the '13 Road Glide and drove it on the 13 mile test loop that included one lane twisties with hills and also 4 lane highway. I never felt so insecure on a bike. (Back story : I rode many thousands of miles on a full dressed Goldwing with frame mount fairing and loved it). After I returned the RG I jumped on a ultra limited and found the handling truly amazing. In fact 2 other buddies were on Ultra CVO ' sand we raced each other through the 13 miles and man that ultra really carved up the twisties. Seems you and I had completely different experiences. Anyway, best if luck and many pleasurable miles on your new ride.
  18. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Reef!
  19. cardboard

They got a road glide that is the same height as the street glide.
    Think its the road glide custom.
    Would have to go to the dealer.
    Its the one that has the street glide wheels on it.
  20. badinfluence63

I can barely embrace the 17" wheel on my Ultra. 16" being the standard for so long. Don't understand why they upped that and what the advantage is over a 16" wheel?