1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New to the forum

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NAILIT, Sep 6, 2011.

1. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

Hello, I'm new to the forum and hopefully soon new to Harley ownership. I've rented a few times in the past and have also had the priveledge of riding family members Fatboy several times. I'm currently looking at an 01" road King. it has 11,000 miles on it and is immaculate. asking price is $10,000.
    I have a quick question, maybe one of you could put my mind at ease... It is a carbuerated model. are there any disadvantages with the carbuerator over fuel injection? My buddy says I should relax, they have been making carbuerators for 100 years he tells me. should this be a deal breaker for me?

Thank you for any guidance! Chris
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

No the carb bike is just as good as the EFI models & a lot Easier to tune & a lot cheeper to tune
  3. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

Thanks for the reply, I made him an offer but it depends if he can get the bike he wants from the dealer... he is looking at a Dyna Lowrider? that is on consignment. I will know in a few days...
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I've got a '99 King that is carb'd and it is fine by me. If you ride in sub-freezing weather, or even near it, the carb is a bit finicky (needs more choke/enrichener than I'd like). And $10K might be a little high (though I'm talking straight stock - I'd offer 8K first for stock). But to get in the saddle will be a great thing. Good luck!

:cheers:
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

IMHO The early TC's are the best ones made...'99 and early 2000 had cam bearing issues,but that was taken care of by the MoCo...'99-'02 have the strongest bottom ends and the carbed '01 you're looking at just means it's a lot cheaper to make any performance upgrades you may want to do....if I was going to buy another one(full geezer glide) it would be a late model Evo('96-'98) or an early TC('99-'02)...
  6. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

My geezer is carb and i like it just fine . In one way i know the motor is up to temp before i go . With the efi you hit the start and go and the motor is not up to temp to ride yet !!! You got to let the oil temp come up in these bikes .!!!
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

9. Lucifer

Yeah...for a while now if you tried to post a link to Ebay on here all you get is a pic of John Belushi...
  10. Lucifer

11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

yeah I think it's something ken has installed on the board

Searching I find a company called ads.auctionads.com and they
    must be some kind of advertising service to increase hits to the board
    it causes ebay ads to redirect when it's supposed to keep count and
    send ken bucks to help offset the costs, I'm fine with that, but it's
    in need of an update.

According to some admins on other sites it has to to with that tracker software
    in need of an update.

Perhaps Ken can fix it...

All we get is belushi
    Harley-Davidson : Touring | eBay
  12. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I agree, $10 is a little high for a '01. You should have lots of later models to choose from at that price. If your near NY I know of a mint, loaded 2005 Fatboy with FI for just a little more than 10k!
  13. FLHTbiker

That is probably true for a Roadking or even bagger but I would not sell my 01 Heritage Springer for that amount.

Attached Files:

14. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

Well the blue book is $9,560 for excellent.
    I have heard from several people that the BB pricing doesn't mean much for Harleys and most will ask for more when selling... but regardless
    I checked on harley trader .com / chopper exchange and the pricing was $9500 to $11,000 for that year. The thing is I know the history on this bike and can see that he takes excellent care of his stuff, in the garage is an Sportster and an older Jaguar and some kind of British sports car...
    I'm in California... Central Coast. I'll know more tomorrow. Thanks for the reply's...

Chris
  15. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

hotroadking, When I look on e bay what I see for $8500 is the starting bids on some of the bikes, the "buy it now" price is higher.
  16. FLHTbiker

You sound like your wanting our consent to buy it and I look at it like this. If you are comfortable and know the bike then you'll need to either make the commitment and buy it at the asking price or throw em an offer. Good luck with it. :)
  17. Lucifer

When I put a random zip code in the KBB(02345) $9565 came up for a 2001 in excellent condition with standard equipment,so $10,000 for one in immaculate condition with low miles isn't too bad...
  18. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I have an '01 Softail (88B originally), carbureted. I put in gear driven cams at around 70,000 miles in '07. I'd drop the offer $1,000 with the statement that you'll need to change the cams. There were issues with the cam tensioners in '01 as well. Mine went a lot further than others, but they were on the way out. No problems with anything else.

Mine runs cold and it can be a pain, but I wouldn't trade my bike for anything.
  19. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

I get your point,

Not looking for consent at all just topics for discussion... original question was Carb VS FI... Appreciate the veiws given...:):)
  20. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Be careful.... Threads like to get Hijacked here in a hurry!!!:banghead::hijacked::roflmao: