1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New top end

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Tiny86, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Well it finally happened my old 86 Evo layed down on me. I was coming home from OKC last week got just outside of Lawton my oil pressure maxed out and I got this annoying noise. I stopped to look the noise shut up I thought :wtf: ,so I went on got a little further oil pressure maxed out again noise came back and didn't quit this time. I pulled into my buddy;s shop he gave it a listen said it was coming from the front jug we pulled the push rod tubes spun the engine over not much lift on the intake valve. We pulled the nose cone to find 1 lifter dead two in not so good health and the forth OK.Pete said the reason my oil pressure maxed out was because the lifter was bypassing whatever the he$$ that is. To rebuild or not to rebuild that was the ?. I chose to rebuild total top end $800.00 New 10 over SE pistons,rings,adj push rods,new EV 27 cam and 4 new lifters and she should run tonight I hope that is if I don't screw something up. I will be tired tomorrow after a night of Mekaniking see I cant even spell it good thing my buddy is a good one:roflmao: Parts; $800.00.Overnight shipping charges;$45.00, 2 cases of beer; $50.00, 4 suppers:$40.00, Having a new top end on your scooter:priceless. Thank GOD for good friends

Tiny
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

good thing you caught it in time & A good friend with tool's = priceless :cool:
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sorry to hear about the problem, but it sounds like a pretty easy and fairly inexpensive repair.....yes friends with tools and a garage are a godsend!!!!!!!!! post up a how to............help us all out!:)