1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Trip

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by mark novak, Jul 2, 2004.

1. mark novak

mark novak New Member

;) I'm new at this so bear with me. I was invited 2 go on a trip 2 do the tail of the dragon in Tennessee. Has anyone done this before? I'm from Md. and I need input.
  2. Goose

Goose New Member

Jeez, you scared me. I thought you were a friend of mine by the same name and wondered how you found your way in here, LOL! Novak is a rather common name, though.

I've wanted to go to the dragon. Had a trip planned for spring and got fired at work and didn't go due to the fact that I was unsure of money at the time. But, I will do it, soon I hope. I know a guy from Houston that went out there last year on a GSXR1000, rode out, rode the dragon, rode back, all with only one ticket, LOL! How the heck he stood that bike with its racing crouch for that far I will never know. :rolleyes: Younger back than me, I guess. :rolleyes: But, he took a lot of cool pix of the area out there and gave me the bug. I hear it's pretty crowded, though. Beautiful scenery. I rather prefer the mountains of the west.

A good friend of mine went out there and rode it on his KLR650, a Kawasaki thumper sort of adventure tour type bike. He's an old road racer and told me he's not seen a track with that nice of pavement and sticky! He says there are lots of blind corners, but it really is tight in most portions, perfect for his thumper, though his suspenion is modified from the stock dirt sag. He also has this huge floating disc brake he machined for it pinched by a four piston Brembo, not stock stuff. Just hearing his description of the place, my GoldWing would be a major PITA on that road, ROFLMAO! I wanna take my little SV out there cause I wanna ride that road as much as enjoy the scenery. It's not a Wing, but it's a heck of a lot more comfy than a Jixxer! I refuse to do the trailer thing. If I go, I'll ride the way out and back.
  3. mark novak

mark novak New Member

Thanks

I'm riding a 04 1200 R HD and My Buds are riding ,Suz,1000 & Trump,1000 ,& a Honda 650 . We R leaving the 9th .We are all speed demonds.Wish us luck !
  4. Goose

Goose New Member

Well, you guys have fun, but don't become a statistic! I'm envious!
  5. Seahag

Seahag New Member

spread the disease

Hey...do us all the favor of spreading the "bug". When you get back check in here at the board and let us know what the experience was like...not only the road itself but the surrounding area. I've thought of planning a trip down there and would like more info as I'm sure would others. Thanks in advance. :D
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

www.tailofthedragon.com

There are a lot of roads in that area that are great, there are also a lot of cars , trucks and construction going on, be very careful. Been twice last year two guys in our group went down when a car was too close to the middle of the road as he went into a turn high, not hot.

Talked with the towing company, said he pulled a bike off the mountians last week with 1500 miles on it, the rider didn't make it.

There are better roads than the dragon, of course you still have to do the dragon, weekends are a no go on the dragon too may cages, go wed to sat and make Sat the slow cruise ride, you'll have to anyway

Cherahola Pkwy is great, Blue ridge is fun, both well paved and lots of blind as well as decreasing radius blind turns. Get to know the road before you go hauling butt, no guardrails at 4000 to 6000 feet means you're a flying arrow :eek: if you screw up and you won't be coming home. :(

Now that the parental portion of the post is over :p , lots of curves and good roads and good places to stay and eat, Franklin is a good town to stay in as you'll have food, beer and clean hotels, also it has a lot of roads out of it that are good, Go south into SC, over to GA and back, North to TN, SW to GA.

Take it easy for the first day and stress that with your friends, everyone that goes the first day is like the start of a race, who's first, you need to get in the rythym of the roads IMHO, and watch the curves, truck tires get over the edge and toss rocks :mad: into the corners, you won't know it until you're in them.

That web site has great information.
  7. mark novak

mark novak New Member

:( The Trip was cancelled. And by the way Goose my roadster is a very smooth ride . Thanks for all the advice about the cough! Maybe I'll just ride around the bay. It is a nice ride if U like water.And it only takes 7 hours!