1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New York or is it New Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Feb 24, 2014.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Today in an article I was reading there seems to be a movement going on in the current state of New York. Seems the folks who live in the upper part of the state of New York want to split.

image.jpg
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I don't blame them! Trying to get rid of the ultra liberal NYC. And they lump Long Island into it. Years ago there was another movement called The 51st State. The two counties that make up most of Long Island Nassau and Suffolk that aren't part of NYC (the western end of the geographic Long Island is Kings County (Brooklyn) and Queens county which are part of the city.) wanted to split from the city and upstate and become our own state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  3. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

I don't blame them either...
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Co is doing it, California has a petition going on to split into 6 total states...
  5. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

(Where I Come From) I make sure I say upstate N/Y when talking to anyone, agriculture odors, cows, pigs,(not in the road most of the time), dirt in the road from farmers (sometimes) trying to make a living is an everyday thing. Personaly nothing against areas of a higher population density , to each there own, people in the rural areas bad talk the NYS lottery system but percentage wise more tickets are bought there, makes sense. We all want our hard earned money to be put to good use BUT we feel we get a VERY poor return for the sweat on our brow. The government wastes our money and we all feel that our 1 vote will not make a difference. Try to create a more level playing field on the tax base for everyone would help, the fat cats own the decision makers.
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. However, visit Albany and see where a lot of the tax money goes. Anywhere the state has offices they spend the dough. Here on LI state route 454 passes the state office complex and that road gets re-paved every few years. The landscaping and gardens are beautiful. I used to call on the state DOT in Albany and the OGS and the state campus is beautiful. The highways around Albany are beautiful too. The exception is the Thruway Authority and the Bridge Authority. They have to make due with toll money The thruway and bridges show it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  7. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

I agree with you that the government wants a pretty pic as they fly or drive in to Albany. Our DOT / I 90 (thruway/ pay toll) is a great example of to many people doing the job that in a real world would not involve leaning on a shovel.