1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

No oil top end

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I went for a short ride about 25 miles& started to here the top end rattle , close to my sons place so into his garage , no oil leek s no oil on the bike anywhere , oil was.is full , have 250 miles on the new top end & about 1000, miles on the cams & new oil pump , Any thoughts ?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if the top is not oiling, a gasket is upside down...........oil will drain down through the pushrod tubes. pop one and see if it flows down. oil will also splash up while running. remove only the upper part, just enough to see if it is flowing from the head.
  3. cowboy

I thought about that , but put 254 miles on her before it started to make noise
  4. cowboy

I forgot to mention the oil light came on as well , just before the rattaling of the rockers started
  5. chucktx

that is a sure sign the pump quit. need to pull the cover and check the pump. you should be able to jack the rear wheel up, put it in a high gear, and roll the engine over. oil should start running out of the cam case....
  6. cowboy

I'll try to get to it this week :( , have to finish a room up , Mom is coming to visit this weekend & room is half done , need to tape& float , paint
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well at least you'll be working inside in the A/C

Sounds like you lost oil pressure, which would be the pump..
  8. cowboy

Ya thats what i was thinking :( Darn shame to theres only about 1k on the pump & cams , & hyd chain set up , Thats the set I had chuck put in last Aug & haven't had time to ride & she was down about 7 months for the efi to carb swap , put all new top end on just 254 miles ago :mad:
  9. chucktx

i bet it is something simple......something when ya pulled the top end down. i think a gasket is flipped.
  10. cowboy

so this evening I pulled the oil lines from the oil cooler no oil & started the bike , also pulled the fliter & restarted the bike no mess from oil shooting out :rant::banghead: so I;am guessing the almost new oil pump is a goner :angry:, , so to find out if I can buy just the oil pump from the SE hybird kit :gah:
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

make sure it's not a pluged line going to the oil pump, try a blowing back in to the tank on the feed line, low pressure, should bubble like blowing through a straw.
  12. hotroadking

Just don't let Chuck get a picture of ya doing that...

Pull the pipes and cam cover and check it out, make sure
    something didn't come loose or just jam up the intake
    on the oil pump....
  13. chucktx

in the manual, there is a diagram of the oil routing. when ya get the cam cover off....you can tell the in and out. could be a glob of silicone stuck in the intake side.......and i wont post the pics of you blowin your oil tank.....:roflmao:
  14. cowboy

:roflmao: Not sure I'ed let anyone see me blowing my bike :roflmao: with a straw , Have to put the bike on hold for a few days :banghead: again , My younger brothers X wife passed away today ,& he was going to bring Mom down this weekend Now he has to stay to be with his kids (all adults) But still tore up over her passing so Not sure if I'am going to Alb to pick up Mom
  15. chucktx

cowboy, i hope at least that black cloud that is following you around is at least watering your yard!!!!!!!!:) sorry to hear this.:(
  16. cowboy

LMAO ya that darn dark cloud has been following me since last Aug & not one drop of rain in my yard :( as for the X sister -in-law she played now she payed , she got off into DRUGS years back & stayed in them for some years , been clean for about 10 or so years from what I here ,
    As for the bike :gah: Don't think I ever had this much trouble out of over 25 yrs riding my shovel , get a TC & rode good for 5 yrs now trouble on wheels :cussing: But it will all come out fine :chopper:
  17. cowboy

Ok I found time yesterday to pull the top rocker covers & cam cover no oil in either area , :banghead: I tried to read the S manual to see how the oil flows :gah: trying to folllow the book is :witsend:, I 'am going to try to ust the compresser to blow air threw the system & see if I can here / see anything , I also pulled the rockers out & pushrods ,I need to get the lifters up to pull the cam plate
  18. hotroadking

heck just pull the cam cover and check the pump....
  19. cowboy

Don't you have to pull the cam plate & cams ?
  20. hotroadking

Yep but when you pull that cover off, you might get a big ol puddle of oil, vs a little oil

That would indicate it wasn't pumping and it was sumping...