1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

No Riding Stories

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Been suffering awhile with things I didn't know what, and finally got the news that my spine is again malfunctioning. Already have a titanium plate in there, but the word is they've got to put another in and fix it - again.

The main reason for this post is to pass on the symptoms, as I did not connect them to the spinal cord being pinched from breaks that I suffered in the line of duty during multiple incidents over the years. The first symptom I got was a major pain in my right back/shoulder, felt like I'd get when just doing too much manual labor. I was experiencing this when riding with Johnny Biker and Hot Rider from Minnesota to Sturgis. The next was (later, but on top of the first) a great loss of hand strength in both hands and constant, severe pain in my left fore arm. Then came incredible itching on the back of my left hand and down on my right shin. Friggin' weird, huh? The last straw for me to seek medical help was having my whole left side go numb with burning, pain and paralysis. There is a lot of pain I can deal with, but when my left side wouldn't play no more even I figured it was time to see a doctor. So I did, and that is when I got the diagnosis.

Good thing I'm already a disabled veteran, paying for my insurance anyway. Still - in the "new improved" healthcare environment - it won't be until November 20th until they actually operate. Too many doctors are bailing out of the system, leaving too few around to actually care for patients. Thanks, Democrats....NOT! If only I was a non-citizen who couldn't pay his bills, then I'd be top of the list.

So now I can barely ride for a few miles - or even sit in a car. The docs have thrown me the bone of massive amounts of painkillers, and they make it easier to deal with the pain - except I'm like a friggin' zombie most of the time.

So that is why no riding stories this year, JB, HR & Co. But to anyone suffering strange and debilitating symptoms like mine, maybe this will help get you the help you need. I'm told that I should regain a lot of my lost abilities, so things are looking up. Until then, I hope those that can are riding as far as they want. Not being able to ride is a loss of freedom no rider should have.

Be cool!
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear about your trials Red. I can only say that come Nov 20 (your now on my calendar ) I will offer some prayers for successful surgery to fix you up. Take care brother.
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this. Hoping that your surgery goes well. I'm not that far along with the spinal issues yet. don't want to be either. your medical system is still a lot quicker than ours. Thoughts and prayers out to you.
  4. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

That sux...I hope everything works out well for you...
  5. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear brother....hope all goes well for you
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Wow Red that's not good here on this end so I Know it's real bad for you , You'll over come this in time with the right train of thought , I had a few strokes years ago lost the use of my left side for a few months , but I put up a good fight & it worked , best of Luck to you on this think positive
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers going out for you, Red. Painkillers are good up to a point, but do have an effect on your personality - at least they did to me when I broke my back the last time. They wouldn't operate on me because they said my bones were too thin. Took prescription Methadone for 5 years. Mac the Wife said I was getting very hard to live with, so I quit taking it. I thought I was fine. Lord, I hope I never have to go through kicking that habit again!
    Your symptoms are far worse than mine were, though I live with constant back pain every day. I think all of us here on Bike Talk that have back troubles can empathize with you. Not being able to ride is a very big thing to us who ride. I hope when you get your surgery you will be back up in the saddle in no time.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I remember you saying that your back was bothering you. I suppose that ride off the curb couldn't have helped much either? I thought something was bothering you last time we spoke on the phone but didn't want to pry.

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but hey, look at the bright side; you are still breathing and soon you should be back in the saddle. Drop a line.
  9. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

As we get older small aches and pains get worse, but when there is a history 0f multiple incidents to a persons back/spine they are in issue that is there for the rest of our lives. Have my respect and sympathy, hope surgery goes well. And f/u to the system that will help others instead of the average taxpayer that takes care of the undeserving and unappreciative.
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I can appreciate and understand the back issues. When on our trip to Wash DC I ruptured a disk and had to suffer the whole time riding across then back across the states. So when I got back I had my second lower back surgery. They said if I mess it up again I'll be fused and pined.
    Wish you all the luck Red and hope you have a speedy and good recovery.
  11. Red Rider

Thanks to all y'all for your well-wishes. I got ya on the painkillers, too - had my own issue with withdrawal from morphine and opiates back in the 80's after an accident and subsequent botched surgery.

Ride hard!
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good luck with the recovery
  13. Red Rider

Well, almost three weeks past the operation and I think I'm through the worse part. Been some complications and a close call, but things are now going as they should. Been a great way to lose weight - not being able to swallow, that is. Can hardly talk, which makes some folks happy, too!

Anyway, just thought I'd update. Still won't be able to ride - or even drive - until the 30th. Hoping to ride to/around AZ in April, so I gotta get well!

JohnnyB, I'll call when I can talk - a week or maybe two still. Now it is time for another nap!

Be cool!
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Gee, you sound like you went though a lot. Sure hope you'll be OK and glad you got good medical care.
  15. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you. Glad that you are doing better. Looking forward to speaking with you.
  16. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Happy to hear you are recovering, Red. Are you doing any physical therapy yet?
  17. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

wow. close calls you don't need. take your time and heal right I'll wait till April to get on a bike too. The snow up here may have something to do with that as well. Seriously though, the road will be there when you're ready.
  18. Red Rider

No PT yet. Today has been the best day since shortly after surgery (and before the complications kicked up). So I'm either really starting to get well, or about to croak. Managed to cut my painkillers down to just one dose a day for the past three, and figure at this rate I should be done with them by Saturday. Just really feeling better. Voice is still not all back, but so much better than even Sunday. Now if I can just avoid catching the flu that my son has....he's been a Barf-O-Matic for two days. We'll see. I do expect to be riding by New Year's Eve.
  19. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Hey Red I missed a post I guess. What happened to ya?
  20. Red Rider

Had spinal surgery. Over the years in the Navy and as a firefighter, had a number of traumas that I pretty much ignored (helo "hard landing" - aka crash, 2 buildings collapses, falls and such) that had apparently caused four significant fractures in my spine that went undiagnosed/untreated at the time. My retirement physical brought them to my attention, as did the symptoms (earlier post). Still facing lumbar issues, but those are only pain so far - no paralysis or loss of strength. What the heck, was fun earning it all....and I sure don't feel guilty about the disability pay.