1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

No too technical, but curious

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AZroaddust, Nov 22, 2006.

1. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

the more I check things out and leran, it appears that my 1995 XLH 883 has had many modifications made to it. For example it has an oil cooler, Hooker Exhaust, Screaming Eagle air filter (and I assume the coressponding change in carburetor jets), double seat, Accel spark plug wires, chrome oil tanks, etc.

All mods have been professionally done, and according to the widow I purchased it from I am led to believe that everything was done by a H-D dealer. Unfortunealey the bike is not from around here and I have NO records at all from her.

Does anyone know what the original seat height for this was? I have reason to believe it has been lowered to be more like a hugger, but I cannot find the specs anywhere on the internet.

Also, IF it were converted to a 1200, short of taking the engine apart to measure the bore etc., is there anyway to tell??

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.....
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hi az......this is what i would do, iwould google what you have and go to the different sites that come up. measure your shocks from center of upper bolt to center of lower bolt. this will give you your shock length. go to a supplier of shocks for your model and see what is offered. most willoffer the stock and lowered lengths. this should tell you what you have. as for engine size, a dyno should get you that info. im sure there is a tool for measuring cc's in the cylinders..an old way would be to remove the spark plug, remove the pushrods to one cylinder, put piston at the bottom of the stroke, fill with oil and measure how much comes out. raise the rear wheel and put it in gear and turn the engine with the wheel. a converson table will tell you how many oz's equal cc's........hope this helps. one otherway would be maybe some marking on the cylinders...........
    chuck
  3. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Thanks, chucktx.
    A quick check seems to confirm that standard length rear shocks are 13 1/4" and huggers are 11 3/4". Of course numerous aftermarket lengths including adjustable ones are also available. Mine are the std. 13 1/4". I was just surprised that my knees bend when standing the bike straight up at a stop. HEY Maybe I've grown some!
    Thanks for the "options" for checking the c.i. cylinder displacement too. I think I'll just leave that alone for now and be happy with what I have. It is true though. The more I ride the MORE POWER I crave, even though this is more than adequete for me!!
  4. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

AZ,

have somebody you trust hold your wallet!!!!
    the more you ride the more you want, then after you get it to where you want it, it sorta becomes your other woman,(thank god my wifes not jealous) and god only knows how much money is truely spent on the other woman, hanging head in shame, cause i'm forsure not tellin

just once, and i mean this, i would like to go in a HD shop and leave empty handed!!!! its always somthing........

you will know when you have reached that plat-toe, by all the HD parts catologs in the bath room, for your reading enjoyment.........

hope that helps define it a little.

TRG
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You can get the specs on the current year models on www.harleydavidson.com I don't think they've changed the shock height on that model, seat height is what might be giving you an advantage.

Check your total seat height and compare to the online hd site numbers I think sportsters were 27 inches or so stock.
  6. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Well I found out that measuring shocks does not necessarily mean a bike hasn't been lowered. I checked mine (see earlier thread) and they were stock length (13 +/-").

After looking into lowering kits (brackets) I got some instructions from a kind soul and took them to my bike to check out what they were talking about. Behold! As I was up close and personal I saw that a lowering kit was used on this bike and the shocks are moved back from where they would normally be, thus dropping the rear about 1". I just new the hight seemed different!

Thanks for all the input, folks.