1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Noise when disengaging the clutch

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, May 19, 2008.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Hi all

Noticed this not long after picking up my new ride.

2008 Road King

When disengaging the clutch while upshifting, there is a sound very similar to the sound made when actually shifting it into the next gear. It's kind of like a snapping clunk when you pull in the clutch lever and then about the same sound when you move the shift lever to kick it into the next gear. Doesn't happen when down shifting or if I roll back the throttle slightly just before pulling in the clutch lever.

This doesn't seem quite right. Was wondering if you folks might have an idea as to what is happening?

Thanks

John
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Primary chain adjustment would be the 1st thing I'd check John.
  3. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Thanks for the info Art_NJr!
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Man thats a new bike take it back or check on your warranty before you mess with it
  5. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Yeah I plan to Cowboy. Bike only has a thousand km. on it. Due for its first service shortly. I'm sure it will be covered under warranty.....better be :) Was just curious more than anything.

John
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am under the impression that harley has started using an auto adjuster...either way, get the dealer to check it.....................:)
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Primary has the autoadjuster in there for the chain, unless it's gone bad or over extended it'self.

Clutch might need adjusting.

I'd have a tech ride it and check out the bike.