1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Non-ethanol premium fuel

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Y2KHD, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Y2KHD

Y2KHD New Member

I know that premium fuel is the best for any engine, but now some of these
    gas stations are pushing "non-ethanol premium" gas for motorcycles, and that
    maybe have been long ago established. However, I would like to hear the opinions from many of the veteran biker brothers if they have used it and feel it's the way to go???:)
  2. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

Y2KHD if you can get Premium non ethanol fuel then run it if your bike needs it. But if your bike will run on lower grade 89 octane non ethanol fuel (without knocks or pinging) then run that instead. Around here the only non ethanol fuel is 89 octane, and thats what I run. And no premium fuel is not necessarily best for any engine. Octane causes a motor to run hot...the more octane the hotter it runs. You only want enough octane to keep your motor from knocking or pinging under load. Anything more than that is wasted and causes additional heat. IMHO

While we are on the subject of fuel does anybody out there use any fuel additives and if so what? I used to use MMO but stopped because there is no way to keep it from leaking from the bottle if it is not kept upright and I got tired of cleaning it from my saddle bags, although it sure made them smell nice. lol

Aloha....Mike
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I use some stuff I buy at the dealer and carry it with me comes in a small container and cant think of the name of it. you only need to add a couple ounces per tank full. Some of that stuff is basically Kerosine. I really only use it when I get into a area where I need gas and the only has available is regular. If I'm out someplace where they have the good stuff as we call it then I'll fill up with that. There are a few stations in central Oregon that carry the good premium.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I run premium, as it's spec'd for the bike and down here in the heat with a hot engine that's air cooled it helps.

If you can get non ethanol fuel go for it, much better stuff your mileage will improve as will your power.

Bike holds 6 gallons at even $.50 a gallon difference (which is too high) you are talking
    $3 a tank difference in low and high test. Go High..
  5. Y2KHD

Y2KHD New Member

Thank you brothers for all the info.
  6. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

HRK if your choices are 89 octane non ethanol or 91 ethanol, and your bike runs fine on 89, which would you run?

Aloha...Mike
  7. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

usually run no ethanol premium, in my neck of the woods theres plenty of ethanol free stations still around, living around oil refineries has it advantages:D
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Id run the 89 and if you have no detonation issues you are fine.
  9. Y2KHD

Y2KHD New Member

thanks brother!
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Since no one else has expressly stated it, here goes: NON-ETHANOL GASOLINE IS BETTER FOR ENGINES THAN ETHANOL-ADDED GAS!

Last I heard, H-D (and just about all major vehicle makers) used Chevron non-ethanol gas for their EPA and base-line engine HP tests.

Ethanol is a horrible political gimmick. It reduces MPG and is an attractant to water, thereby increasing water in the fuel system and thereby the risks involved - rust and icing be primary. It has, however, succeeded in boosting food prices, converting otherwise sane people to be "Green" donors and removing many vehicles from the market.:gah:
  11. Y2KHD

Y2KHD New Member

Thank you dear brother for all the info, advice, and choice quotations!!!
  12. shttysmitty

shttysmitty Member

I'd run the lower oct. and put a couple of capfulls of oct. boost and hang on.
  13. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I use premium. Always. No point taking chances with the lower octane. Unfortunately, there are no stations in my area who do not add about 10% ethanol to the fuel. To help compensate, I use a dollop of Seafoam whenever I gas up. I carry it in my saddlebag along with my tools. It helps counteract the harmful effects of ethanol.
  14. FLHTbiker

I carry some tools with me and the only time I've used them is to help out other riders with older bikes. Seems some don't carry them.
    As for gas I run Premium only. Do carry a octane booster when I get in an area where there is no premium fuel.

We could start a thread as to what tools you carry and why. Might be some interesting answers.
  15. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

If you really want a great running engine you could go to any airport to the private aviation area and buy av gas Leaded 100 octane
  16. FLHTbiker

Yea and then put it on a dyno :eek:
  17. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Worked at a small town airport in the early 60s gassing up the ships that came in. I remember it being a greenish color and it smelled different.
  18. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Father-in-law has a twin engine Beechcraft. He runs the avgas in it AND his 05 Deluxe 88 TC. But, we already threaded about this stuff last year!
  19. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I ran the non-Ethinol for a spell and couldn't tell any dfference in the power or mpg. I ran mid-grade for a spell too and couldn't tell any difference but I go ahead and run the premium unless I can't get it.