1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Not supporting the V-Rod?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by The Tourist, Nov 10, 2010.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

I was a bit disappointed in MoCo's shabby treatment of the Buell before their divorce. While I might have never owned such a bike--now or in the future--I'd like to believe that there are products out there not just catered for bad boys. I also regretted MoCo not putting modern Buell technology into the Sportster line. I considered the handling of this issue a true waste.

Well, I was poking around in the Harley website recently and looked into the current VRSC line-up. And the idea of "line-up" is a true misnomer. There are only two models available for 2011. To add insult to injury, I cannot even remember seeing a V-Rod at my dealership lately, except for a few used models.

I was getting the feeling that MoCo was handling the VRSC line as they formerly did with the Buell.

"If we ignore the issue perhaps it will go away."

I'm a traditional Harley rider. I like Sportsters and Super Glides frankly because they most reflect the styles I knew as a younger man. I did look at the V-Rod when it first came out, and I even took one for a test ride.

Several years ago a biker who knew photo-shop did some mock-ups of possible Harley models with V-Rod engines. For example, he rendered an Electra Glide with a VRSC motor. I think he uncovered the problem.

Like it or not, a liquid cooled engine is the wave of the future. However, the current styling of the V-Rod just didn't excite the American market. If I was Willie G then I would use the company's resources to fix the styling perception concerns. I wouldn't just choke the design and shrug, "Well, we tried."

I see no problem or betrayal in asking openly on why there are no VRSC equipped Dynas and Electra Glides.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

TT - You answered your question throughout your treastise: insufficient CUSTOMER interest in the model (including by you) has led to the neglect of the VRSC line. During a tough economy it makes no sense to invest effort in the fringe market. Most of the rider market for Harleys is interested in baggers or cruisers. H-D's biggest competitors own the cruiser/sport fringe market. Buell was a cute concept but they were limited too much by the Sporty engine base - I thought the Buell Ulysses was a cool concept, but it just weighed too darn much so I got a Suzi DR650 instead. It could have been made into a much lighter single thumper and would have done well, IMHO.

If/when H-D needs to sell all liquid cooled bikes, they have that engineered and ready to go. Until then, I don't blame 'em for supporting the models that actually leave the showroom.
  3. The Tourist

You are correct. The problem I see overall--down through the future years--is that no true innovation will ever be proffered by MoCo until they first pull out the old 1936 blueprints.

It's happened in my industry. The idea of stainless steels was intially rejected by both the firearms and cutlery industry. Admittedly, there were problems. The stainless steel of that day was "gummy" and hard to mill.

A knife designer by the name of Bob Loveless melted down ball bearings of an alloy called 154-CM to make custom knives, and brought about what we know now in metallurgy.

Same thing with tubeless tires and wheels. The tire companies wouldn't make tires to fit rims that didn't exist, and wheel makers didn't want to take the chance that tires would not be available.

So just what is the tipping point for MoCo? We are in fact saying that they won't make something that will not sell now, or next year. Yes, the economy is bad, but R/D should not come to a complete standstill.

You point out a true condition. The present VRSC line does not meet my needs and wants and I did not buy one. But if you provided me with a liquid cooled Dyna I'd be the first one in line to purchase it.

I never thought I'd see liquid cooled dirt bikes or cafe racers. They are common now. I'd just like to see MoCo follow suit. And my opinion is that they are not doing too well in looking to the future of Sportsters, either.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Fact is the market for HD is for Traditional air cooled
    retro motorcycles, that is the bread and butter

It's why we like the old bad areo-design batwing
    or the new fascination with the road glide,
    The softails retro look, it's all got that "style"

like it or not that is what sells Harley Davidson

Vrods are nice bikes, I've had one up to 148 MPH
    when they first came out, they fly, but it was a
    dog off the line (fixed with gearing)

Remember we all read the "I'd buy that if they did it" comments
    every year about the "new water cooled bagger" but will you,
    will you walk up to a salesman, take the trade in hit, and drop $25,000
    on the new HD Vee Glide....

BTW go to Cycle Visions buy the RG kit, and build your own.

[​IMG]
  5. hotroadking

Maybe you want a tour pack too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. steveb

steveb Active Member

I agree if H-D did a make over on the V Rod it would sell much better.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Well, I don't like the Sporster line, way to small. They were in the most part not even good for women as they sat to tall. I know they have a new model out. I rode one once and couldn't wait to get off it. I'm 6 foot 1 inch and 220 but was just to big for it, legs felt all cramped up.
    I get a kick out of the salesmen sell a guy a sportster when he is a bigger guy. Saw em once sell a 300 pound guy a Sporster, we all laughed and agreed that he'll be back and trade it in for a bigger bike.
    I rode a V-rode at Sturgis, fun ride, fast just not my style of ride.
  8. The Tourist

LOL. Sonny Barger rode one as prez. So did our prez. I've had four of them.

But in viewing the pictures you posted I find one bit of irony. That is, companies and individuals with far less capital can "re-build" a V-Rod into a useful bike, so why can't the huge corporation of MoCo?
  9. FLHTbiker

First off I didn't post any picture and second off I still don't like Sportsters. Good for Sonny Barger, I don't care for him either, he probably couldn't handle a big bike anyway.
  10. popeye

popeye Active Member

I saw an article that said Barger is going to be on an up coming episode of Son's of Anarchy. He looks like he would probably have problems riding bit(h nowadays.
  11. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The main thing is: if the MoCo flinches, and goes away from their "nostalgic" design plan, then they have to compete with the Asian bike-makers straight-on. Right now, and for the forseeable future, they do not believe they can because of labor and material advantages (primarily labor) that the Asian companies have. Everyone here knows that if you wanted to buy a stock, lightning fast and reliable bike and didn't care who made it none of us would own Harleys. Harleys sell because they are Harleys, and if they stopped being Harley-like then they would be uncompetitive.

I have owned (and still own) Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda machines. I never wore any of them out, or even had any significant mech problems with them. I also never loved them the way I do my H-D FLHR, even though they all cost - added together - less than my Harley.

If Harley went full-throttle new-age, would people buy them? Right now, no one at H-D wants to bet on that, nor would I. It is what it is.

Want a V-Rod bagger? Make your own - a friend of mine did. You can, too!

:cheers:
  12. FLHTbiker

I agree with Red on this one.

As for the Sporster line its just me that does not like the Sporster line. I suppose if I was a kid again just starting out it might be great. Others like em and that's OK, just not me, but for those who like em go for it cause it just boils down to different strokes for different folks.
  13. The Tourist

Both points strike me as valid. First, while it pains me, I think the present V-Rod is an abject failure. And sooner or later MoCo is going to have to build a better Harley. And they have a tendency to put it off to the last minute.

In my lifetime Harley had points, condensors and coils that were interchangeable with a 1935 Ford. I believe even the 4-inch headlights for old Sportsters could be scavenged from old Fords and be purchased at our local Farm n' Fleet.

In 1969 Honda had a front hydraulic disc brake. My 1971 Super Glide had a single leading shoe front brake.

MoCo has to be dragged into the future kicking and screaming.

But I love the bikes.

As for the Sportsters, consider the view a man of my age might hold. This is my first modern EFI rubber Sportster of 1200cc using an electric starter. Compare that to the first three I owned--iron, foul kicking, 883 sized bikes.

My new Sportster is a frakking GoldWing compared to the older stuff!

As for "real men" and Sportsters, I wouldn't try chasing me on a Geezer Glide, especially for money. No doubt Betty would be the straight-line champ if there was enough straight road. But put a hook or a slice in the road course and Electra Glides will still be futilely grinding down floorboards long after I get home. We are then discussing two vastly differing bikes.

It's the mental, not the metal.
  14. FLHTbiker

bla.bla,bla I would never trade my Ultra for a tiny little sporster bike. Makes no difference what you ride. I like my Ultra and that's all that matters to me. Oh, yea I also have a Springer but when it comes to touring I'll ride the Ultra. For bar hopping I guess a small bike would be the way to go, but then I don't bar hop either.

As for straight line racing, who cares I'm to old for that crap but I'll bet yea that Chuck's bike will get yea.:D:roflmao:
  15. The Tourist

I'd never trade off Black Betty. But that's the point, the Sportster is a whole 'nuther style of bike. I don't like pushing an elephant around just going out to buy a loaf of bread.

I'm not even convinced a Glide in stock trim is that comfortable. I changed out my entire suspension to find the right balance for comfort and handling. My stock Dyna suspension was ill handling and the front end dived under firm braking. Just touching the brakes going downhill for a stoplight made the front end pogo.

The best thing about the back end was that it finally wore out. It gave me an excuse to get some decent progressive shocks. (BTW, I changed out the stock swingarm, tire, wheel and bushings during that overhaul.)

Big Glides are just too mushy and imprecise for me. If I had to build up a bike dedicated for long haul touring, I'd start with a Fat Boy.

And to be fair here, I just had the Sportster done. Talk about a suspension and seat combination thrown together by a bean-counter to save a few pennies...:rolleyes:
  16. hotroadking

Khrome werks has a glide concept system for the softail,
    saw the bike in a mag, dood made a Road Tail or a Soft glide out
    of a Fatboy, it' looked great.

Cornering on a softail is somewhat limited, as evidenced by the
    missing paint on the lower frame rails and angle cut floorboards
    of my Heritage after a weekend in Western NCarolina mountains.

My RG went through those corners all weekend without
    so much as touching the floorboards, meaning I could
    have pushed it harder, but I was still running good
    and not having to scrape....

Big ol honking cruisers do well in the turns
    sportys are made to ride in the corners and
    have fun, I'd have a 48 in the garage but
    I'd need one for each butt cheek... LOL

The mid controls just don't fit me
    and I'd have to loose the stomach..
  17. FLHTbiker

If a rider knows how to handle a big touring Harley and know how to corner with one you may never want to got back to a small bike. It takes a really skilled rider to corner a big Harley, but man what fun it really is. When you can lay a big Harley into the corners even most riders on Sporters won't get ahead of ya. Been there, done it, nough said. :)
  18. The Tourist

The size of the bike is only half of the story. Stock Harley rear shocks (and most front ends) are junk. They are the typical 'over sprung and under-dampened' items that have plagued the bikes for years.

You don't have to go very far at all on progressives to realize that there is another world of sure-footed handling available.

These are mine, and they are worth every penny.

[​IMG]
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya need to spend some time cleaning it.......:)
  20. FLHTbiker